Fat bottom girls

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Seda

Throbbing member
So I apologise if this topic has been done to death, or even just done before.

Does this song offend you? Do use of the word fat upset you?
Is the song even a positive one?

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/conrad.blickenstorfer, Ma
Does the word "fat" offend? That's a question that'd been debated for decades, if not much longer. The answer is a resounding "it depends."

Most words have either a negative or a positive connotation. There are even tests based on people's ability to recognize positive and negative connotations of words. For the most part, the word "fat" is viewed as negative, though there are some positive uses.

The size acceptance movement has been trying for decades to reclaim the word fat, and many fat people have successfully reclaimed it at least for themselves. Within the movement at least, "fat" is definitely not a dirty word.

Unfortunately, the word "fat" is so often slung at people negatively and with the intent to lecture, mock or hurt that it's hard for many fat people to not flinch or assume a defensive stance. That's because the power of a word often lies in the way it is used, and "fat" is probably used with negative intent far more often than with a positive one.

As for the "Fat Bottomed Girls" song itself, it was top-10 in many countries, and it's on Queen's greatest hits album. On the companion song "Bicycle Race," Mercury sings "Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today, so look out for those beauties, oh yeah" and that certainly sounded, and sounds, good to me. Whether one of those fat-bottomed, bicycle-riding girls would have been offended, it depends.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
The song doesn't offend me. The use of the word 'fat' doesn't offend me unless it's used with another pejorative in which case it's meant to be hurtful so the whole phrase irritates me (sometimes more for lack of creativity) and I love the song. In fact, it's a favorite.

Jes

is oddly aroused
I don't like it but it has nothing to do with fat. I just don't get it. My ass does what, now? Huh? And while he may have written it in consultation with bandmates (if he wrote it at all), Freddie Mercury was as gay as Christmas, so that just confused me even more. :)

Shan34

https://www.facebook.com/shannon.ford.73,
Love the song. It doesn't offend me at all. Now the word fat, like Webmaster and CastingPearls already said, it depends. In this song and it's context does not upset me one bit. I think that many words that we sling around are like that.

On a side note, Freddie Mercury did have a girlfriend, Mary Austin. He lived with her for several years before discovering his preference. He truly loved her and considered her his only "real" friend. IMHO it's really pretty sweet the connection they had.

LeoGibson

Happy
Outside of the Highlander soundtrack, it's my favorite Queen song.

My personal thought is that it's positive in that context, I mean he's not saying fat bottoms disgust him or that only skinny asses rule. It's the Fat Bottom Girls that make the rockin' world go 'round. Well said Freddie, well said indeed.:D

Hathor

stolen child
Does this song offend you? Do use of the word fat upset you?
Is the song even a positive one?
I've always viewed the song positively. I fell in love with QUEEN back when I was around 12-13 and I was really, really struggling with self esteem issues. It made me realize that there are some men out there who do love big women. I still struggle with those issues, but the older I get the more I don't care who likes me or not.

Besides, I'm a truck driver so I naturally have a big ass and hips from sitting so much.

ConnieLynn

has left the building.
Love the song and I 'own' the word fat. Use it all the time, and if anyone ever uses it around me in a negative way, I turn it around.

spiritangel

AmandaClause
I am FAT i have never had a problem saying that nor am I offended by being called fat

I am also freckled shrugs

Its just a word its the energy behind how it is used that is for me at least how I take offence and as lainey said what words are used with it

Heading_for_the_Light

Brian May was the writer of that particular song; I doubt it was intended as an expression of his own viewpoint, as I don't think he's shown that preference in the women he's been involved with. Expressing the viewpoint of others in a somewhat humorous yet earnest fashion might be more likely, May's quite the cerebral fellow.

It was certainly NOT intended as a song of ridicule of any sort, though, that's not the sorta stuff that Queen did. "Death on Two Legs" notwithstanding, of course.

ManBeef

Fat? I am what I am so the word means almost nothing to me. I own it. But what does hurt is when people I love or trust use it against me. That's the worst. So songs? No... They aren't directed to me personal. If they are directed to a whole, still... Idgaff! It's just an idiot being an idiot. Oh well.

Jes

is oddly aroused
I brought this up with someone last night who spoke aloud the lyrics and then told me his take was always that it was a song about easy groupies. That pretty much any night of the year, there'd be some fat-bottomed groupie ("Ain't no beauty queens in this locality") who'd be up for going to bed ("Are ya gonna take me home tonight?") with some guy playing some rock song in some crap bar someplace. That the singer picks "lardy ladies" over "ev'ry blue eyed floozy on the way, hey" so that they can "ride 'em cowboy" and "let it all hang out" and "give it all [they've] got" might be why I never felt this was a positive fat anthem. An anthem for a guy who has fucked all the skinny chicks, but really likes fat chicks (b/c of having a fat nanny growing up) and so prefers to screw them instead, before leaving town, sure. But not really a fat anthem.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not so sensitive that I really care about this song. A song doesn't need to be an anthem or positive or anything else; it's a piece of 'art,' and it plays by its own rules. It's not like we haven't all seen the fat chick be desperate for attention, just like we've seen every other kind of woman be desperate for attention. And, of course, I'm sure some groupies are well adjusted and just like to have sex with musicians or anyone else. It's all good. If not for fat-bottomed girls, how else would every musician get laid every night, or so the song seems to imply.

But it's a song about fat (or at least big-assed) groupies, written by a guy (thanks, HftLights!) who probably watched that scenario play out every night of the year.

I can't believe I never read through all the lyrics before. Next up, let's discuss Warren Zevon's 'Excitable Boy!'

LeoGibson

Happy
Can we? Can we?

I love Zevon, but Play It All Night Long would make for a better discussion, what with its message about southern rednecks and inbreeding. :D Plus, a guy that can work in cows having brucellosis into a lyric is a F'ing genius.

But Excitable Boy would be good too. :)

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Are you gonna take me home tonight?
Oh, down beside that red firelight;
Are you gonna let it all hang out?
Fat bottomed girls,
You make the rockin' world go round.

Hey
I was just a skinny lad
Never knew no good from bad,
But I knew life before I left my nursery,
Left alone with big fat Fanny,
She was such a naughty nanny!
Hey big woman you made a bad boy out of me!
Hey hey!

I've been singing with my band
Across the water, across the land,
I seen ev'ry blue eyed floozy on the way, hey
But their beauty and their style
Went kind of smooth after a while.
Take me to them lardy ladies every time!

(C'mon)
Oh won't you take me home tonight?
Oh down beside your red firelight,
Oh and you give it all you got
Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round

Hey listen here,
Now I got mortgages on homes
I got stiffness in my bones
Ain't no beauty queens in this locality. (I tell ya!)
Oh, but I still get my pleasure
Still got my greatest treasure.
Heap big woman you done made a big man of me!
Now get this!

Oh, (i know) you gonna take me home tonight (please)
Oh, down beside that red firelight
Oh, you gonna let it all hang out
GET ON YOUR BIKES AND RIDE!

Oooh yeah oh yeah them fat bottomed girls
Fat bottomed girls
Yeah, yeah, yeah,
all right
ride 'em cowboy
Fat bottomed girls
Yes yes
If you read all the lyrics, I think Jes's interpretation is pretty defensible.

I'd not been quite so cynical. Hearing the "I seen ev'ry blue eyed floozy on the way, hey / But their beauty and their style / Went kind of smooth after a while." I more interpreted it as he'd initially gone for the women he'd been expected to go for, but over time came to found them uninteresting and came to prefer women with more meat on their bones.

However that it is about sleeping with groupies seems pretty clear, and while he may lust after them and have a certain affection for them, there doesn't seem to be a lot of respect. Or maybe it is just that he doesn't seem to be behaving in a very classy manner?

I guess overall I liked that it showed an unabashed affection for fat bottomed girls, but I never thought it was a song to exactly inspire one.

Jes

is oddly aroused
Jes, that's about the most cynical, negative interpretation of this Queen classic I've ever seen.

Fat bottomed girls
They'll be riding today
So look out for those beauties oh yeah
Make of it what you want but it's about groupies and 1-night stands. "Ain't no beauties in this locality."

Reactions: Isa

LeoGibson

Happy
Tad and Jes, I have to respectfully disagree. As an amateur songwriter myself I have to say that while there is a little of myself in some lyrics, most songs are not mini autobiographies. Sometimes it is someone elses story or just a cool concept that you make up a story around.

So nevermind what the lyricist may prefer IRL, let's look at this as a story. Verse one sets the stage and shows how and where the protagonist got his taste for larger women. Verse 2 is the middle and shows that as a young man playing in a band he tried to go for the floozies, only to find out they didn't do it for him the way the bigger girls do. In verse 3 we have the conclusion of the story. He's now an older, established man and therefore the young beauty queens don't come around anymore, but he doesn't care because he still gets all his pleasure. His bbw is his greatest treasure and her lovin and good cooking has made a bhm out of him, and they are both living happily ever after. That's the way it reads to me. The End :)

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I never meant that 'he' had to be the songwriter--just the one 'speaking' in the story!

And you know, I like your interpretation of the third verse....it actually makes a lot of sense. (I'd been reading it more like aging rocker whose wealthy enough to have investments but these days doesn't get good gigs, but still has enough fat fan girls to have fun with, and they represented the 'common people' who had made him a big star originally so he was somewhat grateful to them.....like I said, I think your reading is preferable!)

KittyKitten

Nerdysillysweetspicysaucy
The song is a great ode to voluptuous women--a predecessor to "Baby Got Back". Though I think the song was more towards women of Serena Williams or pre-plastic Jlo's size. No, I hate the word fat. I hate that word. It's not cute nor endearing. Moreover, the word 'obese' makes me gag. I prefer the term 'voluptuous'. I use that for myself.

Latest posts