Fat Girl Angle Shots

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

LovelyLiz

Somewhere out in the internet world recently I ran across the term "fat girl angle" (FGA) to describe a picture taken from above, with the person looking up at the camera. It's this specific type of photo that is supposed to make fat women appear slimmer (because it disguises double chins, etc.) -and it's a derogatory term, because it's supposedly this deceptive tool that women use to lure in men that may not actually like them at their actual level of fatness.

After I heard the term, I began to realize how many of us even here on Dimensions use the FGA. I've been seeing examples EVERYWHERE here. It just seemed weird because I would think that especially in a community where women's fatness is celebrated, we wouldn't feel like we have to try to appear slimmer, etc. And yet, a lot of the photos still go for that same angle that makes the face appear thinner. It just seemed like in a community of many other fat women and FAs we would be more comfortable showing ourselves just as we are straight on, and yet the FGA shots abound.

So, what's up with that? If you use the FGA in pics of yourself, why do you? If not, why not? If you're not a fat woman, what do you think of that type of picture of a fat woman (the FGA) - is it more attractive, less attractive, just another angle?

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher
I have awful chin hair and really bad, sensitive skin. My battles with it have left me with terrible scars that I'm embarassed about. I do a lot of fat girl angles but I will sometimes slip in a regular photo if there's enough shadow to camoflage the scarring.

b164994405.jpg

b189739886.jpg

b164119908.jpg

I so hate having my picture taken that to avoid being photographed at public events I often assume the identity of the official photographer. It's an old trick. As photographer I noticed EVERYBODY hates having their picture taken. People of all sizes, even people considered beautiful by modern standards, cringe and scowl at photos and so fouth. I get praised as a wonderful photographer at these events all the time because I take every photo using a subtle fat girl angle. People peer aprehensively at the digital display and are usually surprised by what they see. They say, "Wow. You really know how to take a picture." Everyone loves fat girl angles. Everyone looks better at angles. You'll notice all the teen phone cam pictures are taken at angles because angles highlight the angular lines and features of the face and make everyone look more interesting. the coutours of the cheeks stand out, the deep set in the eyes are more prominent, you can't see up the nostrils so the nose isn't as flanged out. Hardly anyone likes straight on pictures.​

Carrie

For a while Liz (di-va!) had an avatar photo of herself with a wicked FGA, and had some text (blinking, I think) that said something like, "eye in the sky! No double chin here." It cracked me up every time. :D

I think the double chin is something that's especially hard to accept, though I'm not sure why. It was one of the last parts of my body for me to become okay with, and I think that's pretty true for many of us. Hmm. There's something so unabashedly and unapologetically fat about a double chin, y'know? Maybe it's also because it's right there next to your smile, which is what viewers generally focus on when looking at a photo? I really don't know, I'll be looking forward to others' thoughts on it.

Weeze

Justin Bieber of Dims
Carrie, i'm so in love with you lately. I love being fat, don't mistake me for that. Seriously... but I hate my double chin. So much. Oh god. It even looks cute on a lot of other girls.... but not me. I can't get over my chin, despite the fact that I like the rest of my body fat.

Hence myspace angles :p

Saoirse

Carrie, i'm so in love with you lately. I love being fat, don't mistake me for that. Seriously... but I hate my double chin. So much. Oh god. It even looks cute on a lot of other girls.... but not me. I can't get over my chin, despite the fact that I like the rest of my body fat.

this!

Just because Im cool with being fat doesn't mean i love every fat part.

StarWitness

part square, part drape
I'm also really insecure about my chin and jawline-- especially because my face is disproportionately full in comparison to the rest of me (or at least I think so). And I will agree with Lily, faces just look more interesting at angles. Photos of my face from a low angle just make me look so... nondescript.

I want to be a happy, confident fat girl-- I just don't want to look like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

Carrie

I love being fat, don't mistake me for that. Seriously... but I hate my double chin. So much. Oh god. It even looks cute on a lot of other girls.... but not me. I can't get over my chin, despite the fact that I like the rest of my body fat.

this!

Just because Im cool with being fat doesn't mean i love every fat part.
yesyesyes! to both of you! I hope I didn't inadvertently imply otherwise in my earlier post, that's so not what I meant. I think we all pretty much have stuff we don't like about our bodies, and none of that negates one's good self-acceptancey stuff.

p.s. i hate my fat spleen. :mad:

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
I don't know if this counts... but the reason I take high angle mug shots is because sometimes I get really nasty razor burn on my neck when it gets hot and dry outside.

LovelyLiz

Great points, ladies. Definitely agree that the double chin can be one of the last fat parts to make peace with. And I agree with Lilly that angles are way better than just straight ahead most of the time.

I guess I'm just realizing that once in a while I do the FGA shots of myself, and I wonder if it's the most helpful thing. Not like it's bad, but I just wonder if it would help me to make final peace with my fat face if I actually let its fatness be out full-force in more photos - just in an effort to move closer to total, realistic body celebration. ;)

Littleghost

Oh, Frickenstein.
I don't know if this counts... but the reason I take high angle mug shots is because sometimes I get really nasty razor burn on my neck when it gets hot and dry outside.

Same. I hate neck shaving regardless of weather. If a plastic surgery coupon book ever falls out of the sky with electrolysis in it, bye-bye neck beard.

And to stay on topic, I :wubu: double chins.

LovelyLiz

Same. I hate neck shaving regardless of weather. If a plastic surgery coupon book ever falls out of the sky with electrolysis in it, bye-bye neck beard.

And to stay on topic, I :wubu: double chins.

You know, those angles work amazingly well on the two of you - because I never for a second thought either of you was a fat girl.

Littleghost

Oh, Frickenstein.
You know, those angles work amazingly well on the two of you - because I never for a second thought either of you was a fat girl.

Guilty. :blush: My double chin has actually migrated to the middle of my throat and hardened into a lump. Damn thing wiggles when I swallow too.

butch

cuddly, hairy, and fat
You know what gets me? It isn't the double chin, its the way my eyes disappear whenever I smile, and so I hate pictures that are all chubby cheeks and no eyeballs. Plus, everyone says that I only have two looks in pictures-the scowl or the smile. I can't win.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
I know I'm overreacting but the FGA thing has always struck a chord with me, probably because I've been accused of it to hide "flaws." The reality though, is that most people take pictures like that.. fat and thin. It's just a popular type of picture for social networking sites and such and for 99% of people is more interesting and flattering (and not for fat reasons) than a picture taken straight on. I'm not trying to fool anyone by tilting the camera a little.. I'm not trying to hide my double chin (I honestly barely even have one).. I'm just taking a damn picture. Besides, I feel like I post (or on FB - allow to be posted) enough pictures of myself that are straight on or full body or candid shots so it's not like anyone is like SHOCK Rachel's fat.

Crystal

I know I'm overreacting but the FGA thing has always struck a chord with me, probably because I've been accused of it to hide "flaws." The reality though, is that most people take pictures like that.. fat and thin. It's just a popular type of picture for social networking sites and such and for 99% of people is more interesting and flattering (and not for fat reasons) than a picture taken straight on. I'm not trying to fool anyone by tilting the camera a little.. I'm not trying to hide my double chin (I honestly barely even have one).. I'm just taking a damn picture. Besides, I feel like I post (or on FB - allow to be posted) enough pictures of myself that are straight on or full body or candid shots so it's not like anyone is like SHOCK Rachel's fat.

You must spread around rep before giving it thatgirl08 again.

DitzyBrunette

Well, filibuster.
I've always heard it referred to as the MySpace angle.
It's the cousin of the MySpace Twisty Lip-Weird Face picture. That one doesn't have a catchy name, but you all know what it is.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
I've always heard it referred to as the MySpace angle.
It's the cousin of the MySpace Twisty Lip-Weird Face picture. That one doesn't have a catchy name, but you all know what it is.

Yeah, I've heard it call that too. Don't forget the peace sign, eyes looking at the corner picture too.

(thanks for the thought Crystal!)

Latest posts