Fat Girl Angle Shots

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MisticalMisty

I don't mind the FGA. I personally don't take photos like that because it's actually not flattering for me.

What I don't understand is how some fat girls feel the need to photoshop the chins out. They don't do it very well either. It's just not necessary. You're not fooling anyone. Just try to embrace the chins!

I call mine a gobbler..because that's what it feels like. It's not my favorite feature..but I'm an apple and all my weight is from my head to my knees..so it's inevitable.

Duniwin

rebmeM sdrawkcaB
While I am a big fan of double chins, I can understand why FGA pictures are common even among the confident fat girls here and elsewhere. It's a more comfortable angle, and one that seems very natural.
When I look at myself in a mirror, my chin is always pointing down (unless I'm shaving my neck, but lets not make this thread all about that) from my perspective, becuase my eyes are above my chin on my face.I can't speak for everyone, but that seems to be relatively common, and thus the only way we usually look at ourselves.
We generally see other people from many angles, but the angles from which we observe ourselves are more limited.

I like looking at beautiful women at different angles, including the fat girl angle (I love that third picture of you Lilly, quite breathtaking). So what I am saying is not that the FGA is "just another angle", but that it's the main angle from which we see own faces.

mszwebs

For The WIN.
I <3 Carrie's fat spleen too... and Lilly, that last picture is effing gorgeous.

I embrace the fat girl angle because I am vainly addicted to self portraits and it insures that I'm actually getting my whole face in the picture lol.

indy500tchr

Somewhere out in the internet world recently I ran across the term "fat girl angle" (FGA) to describe a picture taken from above, with the person looking up at the camera.

I thought this was called a "myspace" or "facebook" shot too like DitzyBrunette said.....b/c that's all you see on those pages are girls trying to act all sexy while trying to take a pic of themselves AND try to get their whole body in hence holding the camera way up high.

CherryRVA

Metalhead FFA
I've always heard it referred to as the MySpace angle.
It's the cousin of the MySpace Twisty Lip-Weird Face picture. That one doesn't have a catchy name, but you all know what it is.

I've heard it referred to as "duck-face". So appropriate....although when I see stupid little girls twisting up their faces like that, ducks are not usually the first thought in my head (which is usually like "Really? Good lord that person looks stupid").

joswitch

Exile from Main Board
Somewhere out in the internet world recently I ran across the term "fat girl angle" (FGA) to describe a picture taken from above, with the person looking up at the camera. It's this specific type of photo that is supposed to make fat women appear slimmer (because it disguises double chins, etc.) -and it's a derogatory term, because it's supposedly this deceptive tool that women use to lure in men that may not actually like them at their actual level of fatness.

After I heard the term, I began to realize how many of us even here on Dimensions use the FGA. I've been seeing examples EVERYWHERE here. It just seemed weird because I would think that especially in a community where women's fatness is celebrated, we wouldn't feel like we have to try to appear slimmer, etc. And yet, a lot of the photos still go for that same angle that makes the face appear thinner. It just seemed like in a community of many other fat women and FAs we would be more comfortable showing ourselves just as we are straight on, and yet the FGA shots abound.

So, what's up with that? If you use the FGA in pics of yourself, why do you? If not, why not? If you're not a fat woman, what do you think of that type of picture of a fat woman (the FGA) - is it more attractive, less attractive, just another angle?

It can be puzzling when you're chatting to a cute girl online and somethings indicate that she might be a BBW... but lots of her pics are from the "myspace angle" - cos then it's hard to tell!... True story! from back in the day, when I was getting to know someone who later was my gf, then my ex...

So I think those angles can be cute, but I like it when you get to see a variety of angles so you have a better idea of what someone looks like IRL...:)

Jes

is oddly aroused
I look like absolute, unmitigated SHIT in photos of all kinds. Honestly. Look, even my mother, and mothers are generally kind, has said to me: Yeah, you don't really photograph well at all. And I wasn't offended--it was the truth. In years past, when taking film to be developed, I'd race to get it back, all excited, only to find that instead of 'matte' or 'glossy' I'd inadvertently checked the 'Retouch By Satan' box.

ugh.

So while I've never done the FGA thing, I've definitely avoided cameras of all kinds most of my life. I have no smile. Or should I say: I have a terrible smile. If you see me with a nice smile, I can guarantee you it's one of 3 pix of me with a reasonable smile that I have. And I'll keep thsoe around forever and post them allover when needed, even when they're 20 years old. And i never take pix of something face (Karl Marx's grave, let's say) with me standing in front of it. I know I won't like how I look, so I won't keep/share the photo.

so...yeah.

disconnectedsmile

RATING: AWESOME
i'm against FGA shots. they aren't flattering or realistic.

now who's gonna be first to chastise me for expressing an unpopular opinion?

ashmamma84

Om Namah Shivayah
I've never given it much thought. I actually like my double chin though, so that could be it. I take pics at angles, straight on...it really doesn't matter cause I'm a ham like that. :D

And to echo others, people do what they are comfortable with. If it means posting angle shots, then so be it. We just don't know the journey they've been on to even get to that point...so, while I like to be all up and in the cam, I'm not going to judge someone else's dislike of fat/second chins.

FWIW, the pic in my profile is taken straight on and one can clearly see my double chin...in all its cute glory. :)

Jes

is oddly aroused
I've heard it referred to as "duck-face". So appropriate....although when I see stupid little girls twisting up their faces like that, ducks are not usually the first thought in my head (which is usually like "Really? Good lord that person looks stupid").

hahaha. Awse. Yeah. I see a lot of that here, too. I figured it must be a thing b/c why would anyone intentionally make herself look ridiculous?

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
I never gave it much though but i tend to do up and at the side a little when self photographing. I just found it easier to get my face in the frame and my eyes to actually not look droopy :)
I tend to like my face from a sidish angle over straight on. Not hiding anything it's just how i unconsciously put my head.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Same. I hate neck shaving regardless of weather. If a plastic surgery coupon book ever falls out of the sky with electrolysis in it, bye-bye neck beard.

And to stay on topic, I :wubu: double chins.

I would also like to go on the record as being a fan of double chins, and frankly, as for plump necks... they are downright sexy! Relating to the FGA and double chins... Like any other part of the body, I think double chins can be photographed in a good way without having to completely hide them from an overhead shot.

You know, those angles work amazingly well on the two of you - because I never for a second thought either of you was a fat girl.

Here is a photo just for you Mcbeth... fresh from my FGA, skycam in the elecrtonics shop! Notice that the angle is just high enough to mask the razor nick on my Adam's apple. ;) BTW... Pardon the wonky colors, that's what I get for digging a webcam out of the trash can.

skycam.jpg

LovelyLiz

i mean its a flattering angle. LOL its also called the myspace angle

I hear you. But I guess I am just digging underneath why we consider certain angles "flattering" and others not. I'm just saying that "flattering" is not this objectively true descriptor, it's based on certain assumptions we have about beauty...and I'm just trying to see those assumptions clearly.

verucassault

I hear you. But I guess I am just digging underneath why we consider certain angles "flattering" and others not. I'm just saying that "flattering" is not this objectively true descriptor, it's based on certain assumptions we have about beauty...and I'm just trying to see those assumptions clearly.

i wear clothes that flatter my shape, does that mean i dont find my shape beautiful?

i wear colors that flatter my skin tone, does that mean i am ashamed of being black.

i post pictures that are flattering. i dont know what that would mean in the context of this thread.

then again i am photogenic, so all my pictures are flattering tee hee

Latest posts