"Fat girls" banned from Montreal club

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ninja Glutton

Film and Music Geek
http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/girls+puts+nightclubs+spotlight/3388462/story.html

Although a Montreal nightclub is distancing itself from an invitation on its Facebook page that specified "NO FAT GIRLS ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!!" people familiar with the local party scene say clubs regularly -if not so overtly -discriminate based on looks.
I think it's pretty horrible that you'd put that on a facebook group. It's sad because I'm sure this type of discrimination is happening constantly and and more subtley just at the bouncer level.

I say we get together and start a fat club :D

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/girls+puts+nightclubs+spotlight/3388462/story.html

I think it's pretty horrible that you'd put that on a facebook group. It's sad because I'm sure this type of discrimination is happening constantly and and more subtley just at the bouncer level.

It probably happens all the time- it's terrible. And, a lot of people just don't care- it doesn't get the emotion and hype as if only a certain ethnicity was turned away.

And, if the Japanese can have clubs devoted to their debusen culture, there should totally be fat clubs over here =D

Zowie

Zowie-Zilla
The first rule of Fat club-- you do not talk with your mouth full about Fat Club.
Ugh, you beat me to it.

That's kind of a stupid story, but it could happen anywhere, people who club are GENERALLY pretty freakin' superficial. It's horrible that they said it so publicly.

That being said... FAT CLUB! I'll bring the techno. Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss...

CarlaSixx

Just Another Weirdo
That's weird. A friend of mine goes to that bar and she is very evidently a BBW. I've never been turned away from bars or clubs in any city I've gone to, though some of my friends have had hard times getting in. That is pretty messed up, though. Time for a fat club!

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
I'm gonna call it "Club Sandwich"

We have so many bouncers here. They can alternate around.

I get to be the pimping club owner, and Paquito can be my ethnic wingman. Melian gets to be the cynical chick behind the bar. :p

Sasquatch!

A wild loser appeared!
I'm gonna call it "Club Sandwich"

We have so many bouncers here. They can alternate around.

I get to be the pimping club owner, and Paquito can be my ethnic wingman. Melian gets to be the cynical chick behind the bar. :p
I would totally hang out there.

Kazak

there was a bbw club called "club bounce" and I think there is still one called "curve". when bounce closed a lot of the women started going to "the hop" in lakewood. its a bit of a drive from burbank.
it sounds like a promoter not the actual club that did this. I've never been told keep people out save for age and dress code. the clubs want the money.

LovesBigMen

Poco G. leave it there xD
Well that club and any clubs that are agains BBW are stupid. And there are clubs for BBW and BHM I would never go in though cause I am scared they would stare at me and hate me heh

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
Oh, and all of my Robo-sluts get to be part of the special club posse. :p

Ninja Glutton

Film and Music Geek
It probably happens all the time- it's terrible. And, a lot of people just don't care- it doesn't get the emotion and hype as if only a certain ethnicity was turned away.

And, if the Japanese can have clubs devoted to their debusen culture, there should totally be fat clubs over here =D
Yeah, it seems as if people are totally okay with anti-fat hatred and sentiment, but they're all up in arms when it falls into the race category. Either way, it's negative energy on the basis of arbitrary physical distinctions. I say phooey on all of it.

LovelyLiz

there was a bbw club called "club bounce" and I think there is still one called "curve". when bounce closed a lot of the women started going to "the hop" in lakewood. its a bit of a drive from burbank.
it sounds like a promoter not the actual club that did this. I've never been told keep people out save for age and dress code. the clubs want the money.
Bounce is still there...every Friday and Saturday night. There's another size acceptance club nearby too called The Butterfly Lounge open every Saturday night.

It's one thing to get through the doors of a club...but then how you get treated once you're inside matters too. (There are clubs that are not BBW/BHM specific that are still super chill, but some aren't, obviously...) :p

thirtiesgirl

frumious bandersnatch
It absolutely sucks to hear that a club would engage in size discrimination, but it's not exactly new. Last year, the internet dating site BeautifulPeople.com decided to exclude "ugly/unattractive" people from their site. Apparently, before people can officially join BeautifulPeople.com, they have to post a photo on the site which people then vote on. If the photo doesn't get enough positive votes, the person is considered "too ugly" for BeautifulPeople.com and not allowed to join the site. Heinous discrimination, but it goes on.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
It absolutely sucks to hear that a club would engage in size discrimination, but it's not exactly new. Last year, the internet dating site BeautifulPeople.com decided to exclude "ugly/unattractive" people from their site. Apparently, before people can officially join BeautifulPeople.com, they have to post a photo on the site which people then vote on. If the photo doesn't get enough positive votes, the person is considered "too ugly" for BeautifulPeople.com and not allowed to join the site. Heinous discrimination, but it goes on.
Not only do they exclude them but they revoked membership of 5000 who had gained weight over the holiday season. They were told they could resubmit pics for the other members to decide if they were worthy.

Personally, I'm usually with Groucho when it comes to clubs.

Zowie

Zowie-Zilla
Oh, and all of my Robo-sluts get to be part of the special club posse. :p
YES!
Heh, when that came about, my friends and I created a profile, both with superbly ugly pictures (unshaven, stained, gross-looking), and really amazing pictures (high quality, we even used makeup) of my guy friend. It was kind of funny reading the comments.

kinkykitten

FFA-Property of Von_Pudge
This is just a sad relflection of the discrimination happening these days.. Some peoples close minded ways and ignorance annoy the hell out of me :mad:

I'm with you on the fat club.. totally! :bow:

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
Totally true. Clubs are private property and thus reserve the right to deny entry to anyone for any reason. It's BS, but they've been doing it forever and I think that basically every group of similar people has been denied entry from some club at some point. "Oh shit, I don't like your shoes. Get the fuck out of my line." :D

Heh, when that came about, my friends and I created a profile, both with superbly ugly pictures (unshaven, stained, gross-looking), and really amazing pictures (high quality, we even used makeup) of my guy friend. It was kind of funny reading the comments.
Ha! That site. When it first started, I applied just for shits - was WAAAY too ugly for them (read: did not have orange tan, bleached hair, fake tits, collagen lips, etc). A small group of guys who liked "alternative" chicks formed this alliance to vote me in, but they were outnumbered! Gawd...it was hilarious, free entertainment though.

NB. I also joined AshleyMadison (the adultery site) for more free entertainment - received so many unsolicited dick pictures, you wouldn't believe....

BigChaz

His Eggy Roundness
I can't really force myself to have a problem with what beautifulpeople.com does. The owner of that site has a clear idea of what a beautiful person is in his opinion, and he has gathered a userbase that feels the same way as he does.

He put up the time, money, and effort to create what he wanted...I can't hold it against the guy if he does exactly what he said he set out to do!

Latest posts