Fattest and Thinnest Cities in the UK

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MancFA

Pride of the North
The first thing I noticed from that report up there was the places which were fattest and slimmest....in my opinion, all of the slimmist places are ones in which have high affluency and more white collar, professional people, and the fattest are more working class places...with a lower affluency...someone correct me if Im wrong but that definately strikes prominent with me.
Beat me to it Naomi, very profound. :bow: But yeah definately places like Islington and Chelsea fit with that. Think its a lot to do with the sort of food and services people have access to in their area i.e. organic health stores vs chippies.

mergirl

lol I always felt like I was amongst my own, at Blackpool, because there are so many fat people, women in particular. I've never been anywhere that I've noticed more fat women. I'm amazed that you didnt notice it, when you lived there. I'm actually surprised it wasn't higher on the list. I have an FA friend who loves his trips to Blackpool, he always has very enjoyable "sightings". :p

hmmm could it be that you were out and about in the evenings, in pubs with younger people? Any time I've been there its along the prom during the day, seeing lots of mums with young kids, etc. That might be the difference!
whoot! where did i put my bucket n spade? Blackpool, here i come!!
lol..
erm but.."shetland"? i SOOO wouldnt have thought that would be the fattest place.. I thought all the sheep loving would be good excersise..
i was going to appologise to anyone who lived in shetland..but they dont have internet there yet..so its cool!! (evil laugh....muwahahaha)

beginner FA

I think the best thing about scotland being hotspot for overweight people is that acceptance for big people will be boosted as they will be closer to the norm.

beginner FA

Actually, overweight is the wrong word as there is nothing wrong with peoples weight being over the norm;)

Maxx Awesome

Sings like a Monster Baby
I like the way they can include the Shetlands but NOT Northern Ireland!! ARGH!!
N.I. isn't acknowledged as part of the UK 'cause we're just that much more class than everywhere else :cool:
That's why when a band/wrestling company announces a "UK Tour" they don't include us... We're too good for them:rolleyes:

pinkylou

Freak on a Leash
I dont see too many bbw in my area, maybe we could entice more FA's over and they will come out of hiding! I'm still waiting to meet a real live FA in the Belfast area!

diggers1917

Cynical Romantic
The UK's obesity hotspots remain concentrated in the North East...

Here are the top twenty 'fattest' places in the UK:
1. Shetland 2. Torfaen 3. Blaenau Gwent 4. Neath 5. Caerphilly 6. Rhondda 7. Barnsley 8. Wrexham 9. North Lincolnshire 10. Merthyr Tydfil 11. Denbighshire 12. Doncaster 13. Carmarthenshire 14. Stoke-On-Trent 15. Wolverhampton City 16. Anglesey 17. Blackpool 18. Knowsley 19. Newport 20. Northumberland Care Trust
1. Horray! I go back to Hull soon, back to the fat north east!
2. Donny donny donny! Some nice plump lasses from there, an' that's a fact.
3. I really need to leave the southeast and tour the country!
4. I really shouldn't comment on threads when I'm falling asleep.

runningman

whoot! where did i put my bucket n spade? Blackpool, here i come!!
lol..
erm but.."shetland"? i SOOO wouldnt have thought that would be the fattest place.. I thought all the sheep loving would be good excersise..
i was going to appologise to anyone who lived in shetland..but they dont have internet there yet..so its cool!! (evil laugh....muwahahaha)
Obviously 'sheep loving' is not good exercise. Look at all the Welsh places in the top 20. :bow:

James

vibeout
They did one of these about 10 years ago that had Bournemouth (where I live) as the thinnest town... and now we're not even in the top 20..!

I'd definitely agree that there is a general north/south divide. The south is richer so its probably got a lot to do with the policy of selling school sports grounds that happened a while back, coupled with the food options that MancFA pointed out.

geebee321

I live near Norwich, and there always seems to be a far higher proportion of really big girls in the streets there.

rainbowman

It seems that there will be lots of BBWs and BHMs waiting for us!

But hang on a minute:

-The total population is only 21,000 people. About 10% are overweight; that's not many BBWs go round

- Shetland is miles from anywhere -midway between Scotland and Norway

-According to Wikipedia, this is the climate we can look forward to:

Average maximum temperature coldest month 4.9 °C (February)
Average maximum temperature warmest month 14 °C (August)
Number of days with air frost 33 days
Annual precipitation 1037 mm
Number of days a year with snowfall 60 days
Number of days a year with rain or showers 285 days

I'll think about it for next year. Or maybe not!

mergirl

Obviously 'sheep loving' is not good exercise. Look at all the Welsh places in the top 20. :bow:
muwahaha... right.. maby with all the intensive farming these days the sheep just lay back n take it without a struggle!
thats it! Sheep are causing the "obesity epidemic"!!!!
baaaahhh!!

mergirl

oh and btw.. i read in the independent yesterday that the study is a lot of pish.. Though i'm glad it came up cause it gave me a chance to streotype yokles as animal "lovers"..which i havnt had the chance to do for a while..

bexy

is red again <3
I dont see too many bbw in my area, maybe we could entice more FA's over and they will come out of hiding! I'm still waiting to meet a real live FA in the Belfast area!
There's lots here lol, you just gotta find em! Look there's one!! Down there...:p

N.I. isn't acknowledged as part of the UK 'cause we're just that much more class than everywhere else :cool:
That's why when a band/wrestling company announces a "UK Tour" they don't include us... We're too good for them:rolleyes:
But it IS in the UK!!! Thats what annoys me so much. But yes, you're right, we are too good for em :p

cptlaw

I'm supprised Glasgow isn't there! I see lots of overweight and obese people around. Maybe its cause I stay in the East End.:)

mergirl

I'm supprised Glasgow isn't there! I see lots of overweight and obese people around. Maybe its cause I stay in the East End.:)
welcome fellow weedgie! (well kinna, i lived there for a while but live on the outskirts).. and yes..there are quite a lot of big peeps in Glasgow (its always fun to visit.). also the general ayrshire area i have noticed is pretty well populated with the rotund as well as the elderly..
i had thought scotish cities would take up the whole top 10 of the survey.. i dont trust this survey!!

xx