Favorite school cafeteria lunch

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

sugar and spice

When I was in school every once in a while I was allowed to buy lunch instead of bringing it from home. I still remember which foods were my favorites, how about you did you have a favorite cafeteria food? Here are my favorites: Peanut butter and honey sandwiches with vegetable soup, pizza burgers, hamburgers and tater tots, garlic onion bread they made with anything Italian, and of course last but never least the ice cream sandwiches. I can remember standing in line watching them serve up the trays and hoping I wouldn't get the one with the smallest portion:) To this day if my sister or I get a serving that looks skimpy we call it "A school Serving" LOL . Did you have any favorites?

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw
I grew up in Medford, WI, which is the home of Tombstone Pizza. When I was in elementary school, a couple times a month we would have little 6-inch pizzas. They used to be really good--a lot better than they are now.

My other favorite lunches included tomato soup w/ grilled cheese sandwich, sub sandwiches, and lasanga w/ garlic bread. The garlic bread just plain rocked!!

Sugar

In NW Colorado school lunch was GRODY!

However, they made one thing that I thought was AWESOME.

They'd take the bread dough they'd use for basic rolls (kinda like bread @ The Black Eye'd Pea). Then they'd stuff it with ground beef mixure bake it and cover it in a type of marinara. They called it a calzone...

I remember them being so wonderful.

I wonder how'd they taste now!

Sugar Magnolia

so sweet.
I was one of those kids that actually liked "snot on the rocks" - chicken and gravy poured over a biscuit. Mighty tasty.

I fondly remember pizza day, too. It was every Friday and it was way better back then - I'd take extra money for two slices. No wonder I'm fat!

MissToodles

dead peasant
Awww yeah, nyc school lunches were health fanatic's delight. My favorite lunch was chocolate milk, cheeseburger, onion rings, 3 bean salad & regular salad. We were allowed to take as much salad as we wished, and I used the thousand islands dressing as a dip for my onion rings. Boy, those meals were so nutritionally sound. Another fave combo was pizza (the round kind with pepperoni) and fries. I had a semester of student teacher two years ago, and the meals are still the same.

Paul Delacroix

I recall this peach cobbler that was amazing. Real cobbler made with thick white dough--not self-rising flour or crumbly stuff--with a nice fruit glaze and a golden-brown top. Better than any I've ever had in a sit-down restaurant.

Butterbelly

Melting in the desert
I loved the schools coney dogs...dont know why but they weren't salty and the chili topping was very flavorful.

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
I grew up in Pennsylvania and my favorite school lunch was peanut butter, jelly and butter sandwiches w/ a side bowl of homemade PA Dutch chicken pot pie. My favorite "dessert" was the frozen fruit cocktail pop. :eat2:

Lamia

Like OMG!!
My school K-8 only had 100 kids. Our lunch ladies Lucille and Blance made almost everything from scratch. Do you hear me? SCRATCH!! Homemade cinnamon rolls and peach cobbler were my favorites. They also made the most amazing soft dinner rolls. I loved Potato Soup grilled cheese/chili and peanut butter sandwich day. All homemade. I would stand in line and keep changing mind it was such a hard decision.

I also loved that our chocolate milk would be a little frozen just enough that it was kind of sloshy.

I think the only thing they got from cans was stewed tomatoes EWWW and mixed vegetables.

Even the Pizza was freshly made. In my baby book my mom wrote. "Diann's favorite subject is LUNCH"

In kindergarten we didn't get to eat lunch, since it was just half day. The Kindergarten room was right next to the lunchroom. How mean is that? I would sit there smelling the food all morning then have to go home. I think that's why I am fat. I was a skinny hyper kid until about age 6 or 7.

Hurray for school lunch!!!

P.S. TV shows and movies where the kids were complaining about the school lunch always confused me...didn't everyone have Blanche and Lucille in their cafeteria? :eat2:

Ashleyohtori

Those little chicken pot pies...mmmm. Yum.

I tried one of those the other day and not so yum.

However, we also have cafeteria food in college, so my favorite out of that is this rigatoni bake with beef. It tastes so buttery and delicious melt in your mouth.

bmann0413

PLAYER ONE READY! START!
We have breaded ravioli... And lasanga... and sloppy joes...

Those things are soooooooooooooooooooooooo good.... :eat2::eat1:

Friday

Not fap material. Bye!
Twice a year we used to have turkey gravy. Real scratch gravy with lots of big bites of turkey. The chili wasn't bad either even though you could see the green soy protein they were using to stretch the beef. Basically, except for a few desserts, everything else sucked.

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw
My school K-8 only had 100 kids. Our lunch ladies Lucille and Blance made almost everything from scratch. Do you hear me? SCRATCH!! ...
Yep, Mrs. Tice and Mrs. Williams at my elementary school, too. (Grades 1-5, with fewer than 20 kids in each) Anyway, I remember visiting them before classes started some mornings, and seeing mounds of potatoes they were peeling.

I just remembered another one of my absolute faves....macaroni and cheese, which was also homemade.

Heavy_Cream

When I was in school every once in a while I was allowed to buy lunch instead of bringing it from home. I still remember which foods were my favorites, how about you did you have a favorite cafeteria food? Here are my favorites: Peanut butter and honey sandwiches with vegetable soup, pizza burgers, hamburgers and tater tots, garlic onion bread they made with anything Italian, and of course last but never least the ice cream sandwiches. I can remember standing in line watching them serve up the trays and hoping I wouldn't get the one with the smallest portion:) To this day if my sister or I get a serving that looks skimpy we call it "A school Serving" LOL . Did you have any favorites?
-Tater tots and chocolate milkshakes.

jamie

...tickled...
grilled cheese with chili on Wednesdays
fish, mac and cheese and corn on Fridays

and once in a blue moon they made rice pudding with raisins and pineapple and I have (no exaggeration) been looking for that rice pudding for the rest of my life...nothing ever comes near it in perfection

sunnie1653

Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)
In high school, every tuesday, they would make "taco salad" ... which was tortilla chips, taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, salsa, and this white dressing (which we later found out to be cole slaw dressing) ... holy crap, I still make it at home sometimes and its still just as freakin good. :) I love it. :D

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy
in my high school in naples florida they always had chicken parm sandwhich as a secondary choice. only thing i ate for lunch during my high school days. the chocolate chip cookies were good too. not hard but soft and chewy. aahh memories

BubbleButtBabe

No one cares anyway
The cooks at our school would make this pot pie without all the crust..It was shredded chicken cooked with mixed veggies with biscuits on top(homemade ones) so good..

Friday was soup day they would make a big pot of soup and add spaghetti noodles to stretch it,they served it with peanut butter and honey sandwiches..

<sighs> I miss the days when some one else was the cook!

Latest posts