Favorite school cafeteria lunch

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
Oh my...when I saw the title of this thread..I could actually smell those lunches of days gone by....ha.

I liked the creamed tuna on biscuits. Was a homemade baking powder biscuit..mmm.

Especially during Lent, we would have fish sticks and baked potatoes with whipped butter ( and lots of it..this was Minnesota ). The potatoes were as big as my head..and I have a big head.

Stewed prunes with whipped cream...yes...loved it..and I would tell my friends I would take theirs if they dd not want them.

A pretty damned good spaghetti with red sauce.

I hated that I would get my hopes up when I saw the huge sheet of quivering squares of Jello, with what looked like whipped cream....Miracle Whip...*barf icon*. It is gross enough on a sandwich, but, on JELLO?...the horror.

Good thread...nice memories..*S*

Judge_Dre

In NYC, kids get to have either regular or chocolate milk everyday. On rare occasions they offer strawberry milk. Those were the days I looked forward too. :eat2:

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
Ohhhh yeah..milk choices. When I was still in Ohio and six years old, we got to choose between regular, or chocolate milk. My Mom would tell me when I was allowed to have the chocolate. I was still obeying her at that age..:p Not like when I got older and would fake her signature, in order to get out of having to have a few shots I should have had..LOL..oooops...bad kid...fainted any time a needle got near me.

Judge_Dre

Another fave combo was pizza (the round kind with pepperoni) and fries. I had a semester of student teacher two years ago, and the meals are still the same.
Two different kinds of pizza were offered in NYC school. One was the delicious round mini pie with diced pepperoni. The other was the less tasty rectangular slice. It was similar to those Frozen Ellio pizzas. It was more like warm bread with a layer of crusty cheese. They never had toppings on them

bexy

is red again <3
I loved the school mashed potato. It was made from instant and dished out with a scoop in 2 perfect mounds. So tasty!

And sponge cake and custard....mmmmm

liz (di-va)

I have such strong smell memories from school lunch....

My fav was the cardboarddy pizza, I think. I have a strong steak-umms and tater tot thing workin too. Mostly I brought from home, but oh! Pizza day.

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
My favorite was definitely the flat, rectangular pizza that fit perfectly into the biggest tray compartment.

Lent was THE WORST at my school. I was one of maybe six Catholic kids in the entire school, so they offered a 'non-meat alternative' along with the regular lunch. It never failed that they'd serve pepperoni pizza on a friday, and the alternative was a really dry, plain salmon steak. Or burnt fish sticks.

MissToodles

dead peasant
I have such strong smell memories from school lunch....

My fav was the cardboarddy pizza, I think. I have a strong steak-umms and tater tot thing workin too. Mostly I brought from home, but oh! Pizza day.
Forgot about tater tots! They were as rare as onion rings. Grade/middle school cafeterias made me beg friends for extra ketchup packets. The lunch ladies would only give us two for both a main entree and the fries, rings etc. Once high school came around, we were allowed to squirt as much ketchup as we wished from a gallon sized container.Oh joy, and I fell into a ketchup dazed mania.

supersoup

Nice to meet you beanbag.
psh.

it's all about the walking tacos.

wee bag o fritos, meet taco meat and fixings!! so good.

also, we had what they called mexican pizza every thursday...this octagonal piece of dough with a light sauce, cheddar cheese, and taco seasonings. yum!

in high school, they made this salad...it was called white pasta salad. to this day, i've not been able to come up with a duplicate that tastes anywhere near as good. penne, green olives, this light white sauce...omg! so awesome!

great. now i'm super hungry!

butch

cuddly, hairy, and fat
My favorite school cafeteria lunch was in high school, when we had open lunch and could leave the campus and eat wherever we wanted. Sometimes we'd go out and get a pizza from Pizza Hut during our lunch period, bring it back in time to skip our next class and eat the pizza with our friends who had the next lunch period.

This thread gives me fond memories of Chris Farley as the lunch lady in Adam Sander's lunch lady song

"Slop-Sloppy Joes"

JerseyGirl07093

Stick a fork in me
This thread gives me fond memories of Chris Farley as the lunch lady in Adam Sander's lunch lady song

"Slop-Sloppy Joes"
OMG! How many times have I gone around my house singing "Sloppy Joe, Slop Sloppy Joe!"

I want to know where you all went to school where the food was GOOD, never mind actually edible! The food at my schools were horrible! In High School my 'favorite' was the chicken salad, and if you were really lucky you'd get some that didn't have huge chunks of dark meat in it. Yuck!
Since my kids have gone to High School (same school I went to) things have sure changed! Tacos, Nachos (everyone's fave they say), french fries, real fresh salad with all the toppings.....and don't even get me started on my son's choice at college, it's like a gourmet restaurant in that cafeteria, plus they built an actual Subway restaurant in there too.
The best thing I can remember from lunch was when they added a special frozen yogurt machine and you could pay extra and get chocolate frozen yogurt that tasted just like ice cream. Now that was good!

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
I attended most of my schooling in West Texas. And while that may cause some of you to picture BBQ, in the independent school district that I lived, tex-mex was the influence for the school lunch menu. Most of the time, the entree was enchiladas, tacos, chimis, taquitos, or something involving chili i.e. Frito Pie.

My favorite was the beef enchiladas, with chili gravy*. Served with pintos and cornbread, (the cornbread being so dry it was usually crumbled with the beans) Favorite dessert would be a Borden's ice cream sandwich. :)

Ditto on the rectangular pizza that would just fit into the largest section of the lunch tray. It was usually a "rabbit-pellet" type sausage with cumin seed, a zippy pizza sauce and mozzellera cheese.

*A chili gravy that I have been trying to duplicate for many years.

Santaclear

User
I want to know where you all went to school where the food was GOOD, never mind actually edible! The food at my schools were horrible!
Ditto here. I can't recall school lunches ever being actually GOOD.

Just last week a co-worker was eating chow mein from a local takeout place. It looked and smelled pretty good, which surprised me. Then it occurred to me for maybe the first time that I've NEVER ordered chow mein, ever, only because we had it in elementary school once or twice a week (which was um, more than 40 years ago!) :cool:

OK.....good school lunch experiences? I liked the apple crisp in junior high and high school. And I was lucky that most of my friends didn't like it, so sometimes I got to have two or even three, which I'd occasionally mix with vanilla ice cream. Oh, and in junior high we had ice cream sandwiches. That was about it.

Brandi

The Emotional Cook
Working for a preschool...I wonder what the kids are saying about my cooking! lmao...Trust me they tell me everyday if they like it or not. lol
Pretty much everything I make is from scratch.

For some reason, thinking back in highschool I loved their cheeseburgers. I'd skip the fries though, I'm very picky when it comes to my fries. They have to be right out of the deep fryer for me to eat it.

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
Taco boats, and chicken patty on a roll with lettuce and extra mayo. Chicken nuggets and tater tots were my fave-I still love them!

BUT the BEST thing were those brownies. For some reason they had a line in the middle (In case you wanted to split it?) and walnuts. I used to be able to find them in the stores, but not anymore. Little Debbie ones are close, but I miss those red and orange wrappers. Sometimes I got the hot lunch even if I didn't like the meal but brownies were dessert!! (definitely better than the peaches and pears)

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
What exactly is a taco boat?
It was a taco, but instead of the regular shells it was a crunchy shell, with a flat bottom and sides, and you eat it with a fork.Like a tostada, with sides to the shell instead of flat. I figure they were not as messy as regular tacos?

MLadyJ

My favorite day in grade school was always Wednesdays..same thing every time..Chili and homemade cinnamon rolls...Now I think that combo is pretty bizarre..but back then I loved it. I also worked in the cafeteria helping serve (we were kinda poor so this was a way I could "eat out" everyday). And if you worked there you could get SECONDS !!! I don't have to wonder why I got fat..LOL

Latest posts