Fearful of Obesity, Parents Starve Child

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Your Plump Princess

Just dancing with shadows
I read this the other day, and I cried, I literally cried.

Is it really better to have your child die, than to have them fat?

I only hope that something good comes from this. Some sort of lesson to the public, I don't.. I don't even know.

imfree

In Remembrance
We can only hope/pray that people see hysteria for what it is and that we have a return to sanity.

The law is involved in this case and that should help.

BitsySpider

As upsetting as this story is it sounds more like the actions of two mentally disturbed parents (very likely the father has an ED of some sort and the mother even admitted to biting her 4 year old child), then two people just simply didn't want a fat baby. I hardly think they're a realistic portrayal of how parents view their infants gaining weight.

lypeaches

Gonna have to agree with Bitsy on this one...clearly the parents were not in their right mind. Will the general public figure out that the "culture of thinness" most likely contributed to, if not provided the impetus for, the parent's obsession?

Sadly, probably not. They'll just murmur about how terrible the parents were, and how "people like that" should monitored, or locked up, or something like that. They won't connect it to the parade of rail thin models sauntering down the runways of our culture.

imfree

In Remembrance
Just one more thing to add to this horrible mix. What are the possible effects of those rumors, or suggestions, that human services may one day be able to seize obese children from their parents, on the basis of "child neglect"?

joswitch

Exile from Main Board
Just one more thing to add to this horrible mix. What are the possible effects of those rumors, or suggestions, that human services may one day be able to seize obese children from their parents, on the basis of "child neglect"?
Already happened in Scotland, more than once.

imfree

In Remembrance
Already happened in Scotland, more than once.
We should give this one a new name, regardless of where it rears its heinous head. "Legally-Enforced Child Starvation" sounds good to me. Granted, seizure of extremely obese children could be in their best interest if they became obese through parental neglect. In the case of child obesity, the side-effects of the "cure" seem more dangerous than the disease! My opinion, your results may vary.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
Obesity or having a fat baby has absolutely nothing to do with the criminal action of these two sub-humans that tortured and killed their child.

Not anymore than her child having cerebral palsy made a mother a few years ago torture and starve to death her little girl in the family basement.

Not anymore than the neighbor's dog told the Son of Sam to shoot people parked in their cars at night.

Not anymore than the killers at Columbine had to kill classmates at school because the poor, misunderstood boys were teased or bullied.

Scott Peterson was forced to kill his wife and unborn son because he wanted to be single. And a similar problem was solved by Susan Smith who drowned her two little boys in their car seats because her boyfriend wanted a single woman.

These minions of Satan killed innocent children and adults because the killers are sick, warped, bastards who should not be using up good oxygen today. We can't blame it on obesity or cerebral palsy any more than we can blame it on the neighbor's dog relying messages from Satan, or the fact that the killer could not get a divorce.

In case someone thinks one (or a similar) baby killer can/should be rehabilitated, read this ad Susan Smith placed in a magazine. This was about 10 years after murdering her children. (She was looking for a pen-pal.)
http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?9761-Baby-Killer-Susan-Smith-now-seeks-a-caring-loving-quot-penpal-quot-!

"I am looking to meet new people and, hopefully, become friends.
I am 31 years old. My birthday is September 26.
During my spare time, I enjoy reading, working puzzles, and writing.
I love rainbows, Mickey Mouse, the beach, the mountains, and waterfalls.
My favorite color is navy blue and my favorite flower is the daisy.
I am a Christian and I enjoy attending church.
I consider myself to be sensitive, caring, and kind-hearted.

"I'm currently serving a life sentence on the charge of murder. I have grown and matured a lot since my incarceration, but I will always hurt for the pain I´ve caused so many, especially my children.
I hope to receive letters from those who are not judgmental and who are sincere.
I look forward to hearing from new people and, hopefully, finding new friends.
May God bless each one of you!

Please Write Me At:

Susan Smith, Prisoner #221487
Leath Correctional Institution
2809 Airport Rd.
Greenwood SC 29649

Deven

Wendigo
What scares me is that woman had 4 more children she needed to "tend to." Screw that. Throw her in jail, and if they have different dads, see if the dads can take them. If not, try to find other family members.

Worse comes to worse, put them in the system... at least they MIGHT have a fighting chance there.

Fat Brian

retarded disfigured clown
Cases like this always amaze me. You would think that, between two grown adults, at least one of them would say "You know, maybe starving this baby isn't a good thing to do". We each like to believe that we aren't crazy but people keep getting themselves into situations like these, where they don't stop the crazy, they just go along with it. It just always shocks me.

Forgotten_Futures

The *other* Holy Trinity
As upsetting as this story is it sounds more like the actions of two mentally disturbed parents (very likely the father has an ED of some sort and the mother even admitted to biting her 4 year old child), then two people just simply didn't want a fat baby. I hardly think they're a realistic portrayal of how parents view their infants gaining weight.
Now, I can kind of see the logic behind biting a child as punishment for biting someone else. Just as I can understand why it's considered to be reprehensible. Still... "this is how it felt when you bit ___" has more merit than not, IMO.

Lamia

Like OMG!!
Now, I can kind of see the logic behind biting a child as punishment for biting someone else. Just as I can understand why it's considered to be reprehensible. Still... "this is how it felt when you bit ___" has more merit than not, IMO.
My cousin's son was a serial biter. Strangely though once he bit one kid he never bit them again he just moved to the next target. It was kind of creepy. They tried everything to get him to stop. I have a home movie of one of our Thanksgivings where my brother is trying to keep his daughter away from him the entire day. Later in the movie you hear my mom scream.. "get her Doug get her he's going to bite her" then you hear crying, cuz ya they were too late. He took skin and drew blood. He was like 3 years old. He left her alone after he bit her and then kept inching around trying to nail my other cousin's daughter. He had bit my older neice two weeks prior and paid no attention to her. It all ended when he bit his grandma and she bit him back.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
Because as someone who the child probably trusts and depends on, you're demonstrating violence when you can show them other peaceful options.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
My cousin's son was a serial biter. Strangely though once he bit one kid he never bit them again he just moved to the next target. It was kind of creepy. They tried everything to get him to stop. I have a home movie of one of our Thanksgivings where my brother is trying to keep his daughter away from him the entire day. Later in the movie you hear my mom scream.. "get her Doug get her he's going to bite her" then you hear crying, cuz ya they were too late. He took skin and drew blood. He was like 3 years old. He left her alone after he bit her and then kept inching around trying to nail my other cousin's daughter. He had bit my older neice two weeks prior and paid no attention to her. It all ended when he bit his grandma and she bit him back.
You're right about this being creepy. It reminds me of the movie "Ravenous".

Lamia

Like OMG!!
You're right about this being creepy. It reminds me of the movie "Ravenous".
It was creepy because his biting wasn't a reaction to anything like playing with a kid and they try to take his toy and he bites....it wasn't like that. He would spot my neice and run towards her with his mouth open. My brother basically held her most of the day she was 2 years old and very restless. He finally let her on the couch and she was running back and forth on the couch and Dahmer jr climbed on the couch and cornered her and bit her face. He bit my oldest neice on the face as well as his other cousins. He never tried to bite adults. He spent the rest of the day trying to bypass the parents of the unbitten cousin. He never did get her.

Now he's grown up and in college and I am sure he's not out there serial biting anymore lol