File transfer speeds on your home network

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Jack Secret

tickle my amygdala
http://www.facebook.com/kenneth.c.phillips,
I know it's a weird question, but something's been bothering me.I've been trying to figure out why it takes more than five minutes to transfer a 7 GB file from my laptop to my Netgear NAS. Can anyone post their relative speeds for, say, a 2 GB & 4 GB File sizes? I'm using a wired connection as opposed to a wireless one.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
there are alot of variables you would need to clarify. how fast is your max download speed on your modem to start with? (ie we have windstream and are topped off at 12mbps for our area). also, what type of processor does your machine have? a download can only go as fast as your processor. are you running any devices at the same time? (ie, if our daughter is watching a movie on our roku that is 2mbps right off the top). the more items you have running the lower your download mbps speed will be, as all the devices are fighting for the same bandwidth.

you can test your connection speed on speedtest.net it will let you know what your download and upload speeds are. most of the isp also have their own speedtest page.

Jack Secret

tickle my amygdala
there are alot of variables you would need to clarify. how fast is your max download speed on your modem to start with? (ie we have windstream and are topped off at 12mbps for our area). also, what type of processor does your machine have? a download can only go as fast as your processor. are you running any devices at the same time? (ie, if our daughter is watching a movie on our roku that is 2mbps right off the top). the more items you have running the lower your download mbps speed will be, as all the devices are fighting for the same bandwidth.

you can test your connection speed on speedtest.net it will let you know what your download and upload speeds are. most of the isp also have their own speedtest page.
I wasn't talking about my broadband speed. I'm transferring a file from my laptop to another, "computer" on my LOCAL network. It's supposed to be a one gig network. My DSL router is one gigabit as is a switch that I am transferring through. It just seems like it's awfully slow transferring files on what is supposed to be a really fast LAN. Does that help clarify?

lucca23v2

Curves for miles
maybe:
1- the processor on one of the computers you are using does have enough available resource or enough speed, the LAN can only work as fast as the slowest computer..

or

2-maybe you don't have enough memory?

(according to my brother who is my computer guy... ;) I know nothing about that kind of stuff...lol)

Jack Secret

tickle my amygdala
It must be the combination Of memory and processor speeds. I noticed that the beginning of the transfer goes pretty darn fast and then speeds decrease rapidly… (Which would indicate a memory issue). Also, the processor on the Netgear NAS box Is pretty pitiful. The memory on it is also pretty minuscule.

I already knew all of this. I guess my brain must be failing me early!

lucca23v2

Curves for miles
Jack.. I know that feeling. I think I was hacked earlier today. So I was diligent and changed all my passwords. But, my mind being what it is these days, of course 10 minutes after I changed the passwords i could not remember them. :doh: Thankfully i did remember to write them down.

old age sucks!

Latest posts