Quantcast

Finally employed...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

YoFlaco

Blame the caffeine
Goodluck with it! I'm sure everyone here is proud of you.

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw
Thanks, guys. Official start date is August 7. Gives me a week or so to get done in the garden what I can.

Yep, CSR is customer service rep. It sounds like I'll be in a call center, taking orders over the phone or entering faxed orders into the computer system. I'm looking forward to it.

out.of.habit

Fat Lois Returns
That's awesome! It is so important to look forward to what you do- this is wonderful news. :eek:) Keep us posted on how it goes!

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw
moonvine said:
Congratulations Betty.

Did you dislike teaching?
No. I loved teaching. But the market is pretty saturated in the Social Studies and English fields, plus I'm not coaching material (those all-important sports, you know). And as far as Special Education, I also have licensure to teach Emotional/Behavior Disabled kids, but most places want cross-categorical now. Besides, I kind of burned out on that by teaching in residential treatment programs for seven years. I've been subbing, but it isn't predictable enough. Just can't bring in enough income that way. You also wouldn't believe how political schools can be.

I'll probably keep up my teaching license, but I wouldn't be the first teacher to change careers.

out.of.habit

Fat Lois Returns
BBW Betty said:
No. I loved teaching. But the market is pretty saturated in the Social Studies and English fields, plus I'm not coaching material (those all-important sports, you know). And as far as Special Education, I also have licensure to teach Emotional/Behavior Disabled kids, but most places want cross-categorical now. Besides, I kind of burned out on that by teaching in residential treatment programs for seven years. I've been subbing, but it isn't predictable enough. Just can't bring in enough income that way. You also wouldn't believe how political schools can be.

I'll probably keep up my teaching license, but I wouldn't be the first teacher to change careers.
Residential treatment programs are INTENSE. Sounds like you need a good break, at least.

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw
snuggletiger said:
Betty
how many years you got in the teaching racket?
After college, I subbed for six years, then taught in the residential treatment program for seven, and now have subbed for another year. So all told, 14 years. Seems like a lot of time invested to be turning away now, I know. But if one thing isn't working, you try another, right?

And, BTW, I was trying to get full-time into the public schools. Sometimes I think weight discrimination was involved. Other times, teachers told me the district wasn't likely to hire me when they had me as a reliable and really good substitute teacher.

Esme

Congratulations on the new job Betty. I remember subbing gigs. I had to move to get a full-time teaching job. Subbing can be a killer, but at least there's no paperwork to take home. :rolleyes:

I hope you'll enjoy the CSR job! Good luck!

swamptoad

BBW Betty said:
Yay!! I've finally got a job lined up. It's the CSR job, so I won't be teaching anymore. Not sure how I feel about that, but it will be nice to have full-time work.

Fantastic news, Betty!

bbwsweetheart

Dutch Hugaholic Treat
Good for you! It's hard making a change, but you did it! I hope you enjoy the new job and have lots of success.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
Betty, I'll tell you my honest feelings about this.

I think everyone in teaching should have to rotate out one year out of five. It gives a "rest of us" check, allowing you to step outside the institution of academia, and brings you back fresh to teaching.

That's how I'm going to look at this....it's your sabbatical.