Fingerling Potatoes

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

SuperMishe

Single. Wanna mingle?
I've seen/heard of them on tv (Foodnetwork) and finally saw them in the market last night so I bought them!! NOW what do I do?? LOL!!

LoveBHMS

default title
Virtually anything, just don't over cook them because they are tiny.

Slice them in half and roast them. Add a teaspoon of sour cream or creme fraiche and a spot of caviar.

Slice them in little "rounds" and quick fry them in some olive oil and fresh garlic.

Add them to stew or any sort of ragout you're making.

Dice them and make hash browns.

Take a casserole dish. Cover the bottom with some cheap cooking wine (Marsala is fabulous) roll them around so they are coated in wine. Spray with a spritz of olive oil or "I can't belive it's not butter" spray. Bake.

TheSadeianLinguist

Coin-Operated
I love them with mushrooms. Take whole mushrooms with a little wine and olive oil and kosher salt and garlic over medium heat. Don't overstir so they form a delicious glaze, and add in your potatoes (sliced) and lightly cook them.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
Down south I believe we call similar products "new potatoes". We dig them up when they are small (about the size of medium eggs). You then scrub them with a vegetable brush. I cut the egg size ones in half. Place in a pot with water that has a piece of smoked bacon sliced in it. Add green beans and chopped onions,salt, pepper, a little sugar if desired, and some chicken bouillion (or chicken stock). Boil until potatoes are tender (may only take 10 minutes.)

liz (di-va)

I think they're best steamed/boiled. They have a low starch content compared to regular potatoes so to my taste I don't think they're very good in recipes when you want lovely brown crispy edges. New potatoes ("new" potatoes are just young potatoes of various varities; fingerling are a totally different type) are also lower in starch, so recipes that work well for new potatoes often work with fingerlings too.

Having said that, there are different kinds of fingerlings, depending on how fancy your supermarket is, so YMMV! As in general.