Fish and Chips Suggestions?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

cnk2cav

I'm absolutely craving a nice fish and chips, and I figured learning how to make a good one myself would definately be cheaper than catching a plane to England, but I have not a clue how to do it really really well. I've heard that cod is usually the fish of choice, but thats about it. Any suggestions would be fantastic!! Thanks :)

liz (di-va)

Make sure you double-fry the chips! That's one main thing, I think, whatever recipe you use: once to cook them through, the next time to crisp them up. And don't overcook the fish. Those are the two big dangers as I've encountered them. YUM!

Emma

I'm absolutely craving a nice fish and chips, and I figured learning how to make a good one myself would definately be cheaper than catching a plane to England, but I have not a clue how to do it really really well. I've heard that cod is usually the fish of choice, but thats about it. Any suggestions would be fantastic!! Thanks :)

We normally use cod or haddock here, both are really nice. Make sure you don't put too much batter on or cook it too much. And plenty of salt and vinigar!

fat hiker

Cod is good, haddock is good, pollock is good - any reasonable solid whitefish is good for fish and chips. Catfish also works. In Merrie Olde Englande herself, they often use... dogshark! But it is hard to get this side of the 'pond'.

olly5764

Chips, place the chips in a deep pan, and cover with oil, (if you have one with a chip net in, even better, but don't over fill the pan, chip pan fires can be killers! Deep fry for about 15 minutes, serve with salt and vinegar, ot Salad Creme or even mayonaise. Cod Roe is also nice with chips (it is the fried eggs of a cod fish).

snuggletiger

Clowns Fear Me
just make sure that the fish you are going to use is dried very well. If you put the batter on while the fish is wet, the batter will slide off and won't stick to the fish.