Quantcast

Flying Fat

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

lozonloz

Heylo,

Flew Easyjet recently (London-Prague and back) and through I would give my usual review.

I'm not overly impressed with their booking service- it's impossible to book the extra seat I want online so I called up. The foreign staff make it hard to get your point across sometimes- their English is excellent and I have no problem understanding them, but they did seem very confused when I said I needed an extra seat and I had to explain myself very thoroughly. I also had to call up again and get the names changed as they misspelled my last name.

Finally, at the bag drop I found that they had booked the extra seat wrong- they had put me down twice instead of (as is Easyjet's policy) putting my name down once and then blocking the seat next to me. I always check everything twice at every stage whilst flying as I'm not easily embarrassed and would rather say I need the room and repeat myself often than find out somethings gone wrong, but if you arent comfortable saying "I'm fat, I need the room" when people repeatedly ask why you have an extra seat, then you might want to pay for a non-budget airline.

To their credit, these problems were fixed quickly.

The flight itself was fine- after my bag drop I had no problems with people asking why I had a spare seat on a booked out flight and the attendants were pleasant. I asked for my extension on the way in and received it with no problems. No-one insisted I put the arm rest down (as has happened before on Ryanair flights) and I was treated very well. For the price I paid (about £80 extra for a return flight re spare seat) I'm very very happy with them. Definately good value. It helps that because Easyjet charge extra for baggage/meals etc, these costs arent included in the price of a ticket, which means that they arent included in the cost of the extra seat. Even after the Airport tax reduction you still get on better airlines, with the better airline you're paying for the extra baggage and meal in the cost of the ticket that you wont receive when you buy an extra seat.

Minuswise, the arm rest doesnt recede all the way- on a long flight this could be uncomfortable. The loos are tinier than even normal plane loos (just enough for me) and you cant have extra leg room AND have an extra seat- the arm rests are fixed and even if they werent it's Easyjet policy to prevent larger passengers from sitting in exit rows. Basically they're afraid we'll block everyone else in the aircraft in the event of an emergency*sardonic look*. I also couldnt get the food tray down, but I cant on any airline except, for some reason, Thai Air, so that barely counts as a minus in my book.

So, all in all I don't think much of their admin staff or their policies towards fat people, but I do think alot of their actual flight staff and value for money. I would definately fly with them again purely on a cost basis.

For some idea of my size for other possible flyers, I'm about 360lbs and a UK size 32 bottom 28 top.

Reactions: Tad

VickiNicole

Learning Dimensions
Thanks for posting this, I am flying southwest tomorrow to Puerto Rico from Phoenix. I hope I am not too big for the seat

EMH1701

I'm flying next year in the spring to China for two weeks. I'm 5'2" and weigh just over 200 pounds. Do I need to worry? Not going Southwest...probably Delta. If I were going SW I'd worry a lot more, but I'm going with my family members who are also not skinny. Hopefully we can get seats together and the airline won't care. I suppose I can always try really hard to lose 20 pounds and then regain it when I get back.

Diana_Prince245

Wise as Athena
I'm 5-3 and around 250. I fit fine without a seatbelt extender. I have flown SW and Delta in the last year. I'm essentially an hourglass. If you're not really hippy, you should be just fine.

lypeaches

I'm flying next year in the spring to China for two weeks. I'm 5'2" and weigh just over 200 pounds. Do I need to worry? Not going Southwest...probably Delta. If I were going SW I'd worry a lot more, but I'm going with my family members who are also not skinny. Hopefully we can get seats together and the airline won't care. I suppose I can always try really hard to lose 20 pounds and then regain it when I get back.
I'm a little larger than you by an inch and 25 - 30 pounds, and hippy, and I'm ok, so you should be ok too!

ConnieLynn

has left the building.
Bigmac: Thank you for sharing.

I have to book flights for work through Southwest next week and I've been freaking out :) I thought I'd have to buy two seats -- didn't realize you eventually only end up paying for one, even if you reserve two.

Has anyone who booked two seats in advance had trouble getting the refund for the second after the fact?

The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification to Southwest of a special seating need, and allows us to adequately plan for the number of seats that will be occupied on the aircraft.
You may contact us for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel.

Looks like Southwest Airlines no longer requires "customers of size" to buy additional seats.

... Customers of size who prefer not to purchase an additional seat in advance have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing their seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at their departure gate. If it is determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, they will be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat(s).

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/index-pol.html

My wife's flying to Sacramento as I type. When she contacted Southwest staff at the gate this afternoon regarding seating they looked at her and told her not to worry. They were right -- she sent a text saying she fit just fine and she didn't even need a seat belt extender (she's a pear shaped 290 lbs these days).

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
Connie, you won't have any trouble getting a refund, especially now that they refund even when the flight is full. :)

cheesylier

Hi I work a airline as a flight attendant and I do everything to make sure everyone feels comfortable, especially people of size. I don't have too many tips but I do know that we charge a customer of size for an additional seat if they cannot lower both armrest. This can usually be avoided by traveling with someone. I've actually taken a seat next to a larger person to avoid embarrassment. I know that if you know you need an additional seat, it's better to book it at the beginning cause if you wait and its a full flight there is a possibility they may deny boarding if you require an additional seat. I also have to say that if your charged an additional seat and its not full then you can receive a refund because of new FAA rules.
Also every flight carries one seatbelt extension per 50 passenger. And unfortunately, every airline has collectively agreed to shorten seats and shrink seats to fit more passengers. For example, our bigger aircraft seats 137 but after configurations its going to for an additional 12 seats.
Another resaon an additional seat is charged is because aircrafts are fueled according to weight which is estimated by the count of customers multiplied by 180. Supposedly, an average weight (150) plus a checked bag (30) outdated? Yes but it's the industry average. Hit me up with a private message for any additional questions. I hope I didn't give too much info lol

lozonloz

Just going to recommend Icelandair- spent a week in Iceland recently and bought 2 seats with them to travel.

First of all, the armrests go back fully, so they were a lot more comfortable than Easyjet. The in-flight media was also pretty good with a large selection and the headphone jack is in the screen rather than in the armrest so nothing pokes into your leg and makes you uncomfortable during the flight.

The staff were really good- I had no problems with the two-seat arrangement and the woman at the check-in desk said that they had made a note so that if the flight wasn't fully booked they would leave the whole row of 3 for me so it would be easier for me to enter and exit if I needed the loo, etc. Unfortunately it WAS fully booked, but I appreciated the thought that went into the gesture.

I didn't have any issues with staff trying to dump me off the flight or take back my seat in a fully booked (possibly overbooked) flight- I know this is a big fear of many of us who fly with an extra seat. Everyone was lovely. I got my seatbelt extension with no problems.

There was no food offered in the flight included in the ticket- you had to purchase food if you wanted it and they only took cash, which was an issue for me as I didn't have much on me on both flights and could only use a card. However, this is the only negative point. I usually bring my own food anyway.

They're a reasonable price considering the service and in-flight entertainment- I would most definitely use them again.

fat hiker

What I meant with "comfort of flying" is the option to take a plane instead of 7 hr drive. Excuse the ambiguity, English isn't my first language. :) My point all along was that buses don't have "tiny seats".
Buses and seats - I was on an intercity bus (or 'coach' as they get called here) a week ago that had seats that were ridiculously close together from front to back - tighter than ANY airline I've ever been on. Fortunately it was a short shuttle run, but there was no room for my knees at all, and I'm only 5 foot 10 inches. And it was a full intercity coach - onboard washroom, video screens, reading lights and power outlets at the seats, but miserably tight seat spacing. Truly a bus with "tiny seats".

EMH1701

My experience flying to China was reasonably good, although I wound up getting a cold two days before I left and on the flight home, I was in the aisle seat on the left side of the plan. So not fun being sick on a 11+ hour flight and not being able to relax.

archivaltype

shake n bake
Hi all! Very informational thread but I still have a few questions :D
It is likely that I will be flying either US Airways or United soon and am...concerned. I am about 5'7'' and 315ish, 24/occassionally 26 bottom, evenly distributed weight wise. I don't care if I need a seatbelt extender or if I have to squish, but it would alleviate some serious stress if I knew with a twinge of certainty that I'd fit. I've never really had trouble fitting into theater seats or bus seats butt/hip wise, so I'm hopeful but hesitant. It's flying for about 5 hours or the megabus for...like 20 lol.
Thanks in advance everyone!

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
This appeared in the Guardian today. I thought it was well-expressed and might be of interest to dimmers who fly.

EvilPrincess

:
It is likely that I will be flying either US Airways or United soon and am...concerned. I am about 5'7'' and 315ish, 24/occassionally 26 bottom, evenly distributed weight wise. I don't care if I need a seatbelt extender or if I have to squish, but it would alleviate some serious stress if I knew with a twinge of certainty that I'd fit. I've never really had trouble fitting into theater seats or bus seats butt/hip wise, so I'm hopeful but hesitant. It's flying for about 5 hours or the megabus for...like 20 lol.
It will be tight but you will fit. It is all about the squish factor. It also really depends on the plan type, I have flown all the US a Major carriers and the planes can be pretty small even on longer flights.

Never2fat4me

This appeared in the Guardian today. I thought it was well-expressed and might be of interest to dimmers who fly.
Good article, and great to see someone speaking out against the fat blame game.

One caveat I would note about flying business class that is not raised in the article (probably the writer is not SSBBW) is that business class can actually be less comfortable than coach (aka, steerage, peasant class, etc). Reason being is that in coach, the arm rests go up and allow for flow-over, while in business class, seats are wider but the arms to not rise and so for those wide of hip, you are really smushed in. Better in that case to upgrade to two seats in coach (or chance it that seat next to you will be empty or travel with a friend who doesn't mind the "spillover") than to upgrade to business. (I have never travelled first class - I suspect that the author actually travelled business but made the common mistake of calling it first - but this I have only ever seen on trans-oceanic flights and the seats look truly divine, but hip space may still be an issue. But if you can afford first, you could probably book yourself a whole row of coach and still have money left over to buy some great food in the food court at the airport, and even then still have plenty of cash to spare.)

Happy travels!

- Chris

lypeaches

I have flown United a lot, at different sizes, ...usually the Airbus 320 model, and if you wear a 26 pants, you'll fit with a seatbelt extender. Not exactly comfortable, but certainly doable. However, if you can swing it, do their "Economy Plus" seating, you get an extra 4" of pitch between seats, usually for around $50 - $75 more. Makes all the difference.

bigmac

Flying to San Diego next week. My problem is my knees -- an hour or two with knees embedded in the back of the seat in front of you really sucks.

Deacone

For Azeroth!
I flew 14 hours economy to Malaysia in July. 7 hours to Dubai, stopover for a few hours, then 7 hours from Dubai to Kuala Lumpar. I went via Emirates - they're really good! The seating was quite adequate ( I mean I still had to spill onto my sister's side of the seat lol but I've got a wide bum), food was fantastic. I had a seatbelt extender, and the air hostesses were really nice and didn't make it awkward at all :)

Only problem was being in the air that long not moving I had super-elephant ankles by the end lol

fat hiker

I flew 14 hours economy to Malaysia in July. ...

Only problem was being in the air that long not moving I had super-elephant ankles by the end lol
You need to do the 'Flyrobics' that Lufthansa used to encourage on their flights - simple, gentle exercises you can do while seated on a plane. They helped keep the ankles working....

Deacone

For Azeroth!
I did that! I was getting up to walk around a bit (only so much you can do when your arse or belly smacks people in the aisle's face) and was doing leg raises and rolling around the ankles. I think it was just being up in the air for such a long time that did it. It went down as soon as I got into Malaysia and had sleep lol.

Latest posts