Flying In US

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Enter_Witty_Name

My girlfriend and I are flying to the US in a couple of weeks. She's currently 5 foot 11 and 310 pounds (belly heavy). She is a little worried about the plane journeys while in America as we are flying American Airlines and United when there.

Can anyone of similar size and build comment with their experiences of flying American or United to ease her mind. Will she be able to fasten the seat belt alright?

Thanks.

lizzie_lotr

Father Ted!! Nice picture! :) :)

I used to weight around 320 pounds (however I'm much shorter) and flew to the UK from the US on American Airlines and was comfortable. They did offer me a seat belt extension, but I didn't need it, but it was available and the flight attendants were always helpful... Just my experience, but I hope yours is just as wonderful!!

I hope you have a great trip the US!

bigmac

Big bellies are easier to accommodate than big hips. She might need a seat-belt extender but otherwise she should be fine. I'm 6'4" 300 lbs and have never needed a seat-belt extender (its been close a couple of times).

Enter_Witty_Name

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

She really doesn't want to have to ask for a seat belt extender so fingers crossed. As long as she can fasten it until we are in the air. It might be uncomfortable for 30 minutes but if it saves her from feeling embarrassed (silly, I know).

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
(this is based purely on reading a lot of discussions of this topic over the years, not on first hand experience. YMMV, no warranty express or implied, etc)

You can always quietly approach the gate crew and let them know that your wife, in seat XXX, may need a seat belt extender. Some may have them there to give you, more often the flight crew will come by to check/offer. Most will be discrete and helpful, but of course there is always the chance that you get the one who doesn't know the word discrete or who just doesn't care.

Although, aside from not wanting to ask, potentially your wife is just hoping that she really doesn't need one (that she is *that* fat)? In which case you quietly arranging for it really doesn't help the situation at all.

ETA: I was just looking at your older posts, and I see that a few years back you were asking about a European airline, and it sounds like your GF is no bigger than then (23 stone you said then, 310 pounds now, which is a bit lower). You can look at seat widths on the seat guru site, and compare the two, to get a sense of how it may go. (and also--how did that trip go, did she fit OK?)

Durin

Normally I have been fine traveling, we put the arm up between us and it gives us some more room.

A long time ago we just stole the seatbelt extender and my wife just packs it with her for flights.

Enter_Witty_Name

(this is based purely on reading a lot of discussions of this topic over the years, not on first hand experience. YMMV, no warranty express or implied, etc)

You can always quietly approach the gate crew and let them know that your wife, in seat XXX, may need a seat belt extender. Some may have them there to give you, more often the flight crew will come by to check/offer. Most will be discrete and helpful, but of course there is always the chance that you get the one who doesn't know the word discrete or who just doesn't care.

Although, aside from not wanting to ask, potentially your wife is just hoping that she really doesn't need one (that she is *that* fat)? In which case you quietly arranging for it really doesn't help the situation at all.

ETA: I was just looking at your older posts, and I see that a few years back you were asking about a European airline, and it sounds like your GF is no bigger than then (23 stone you said then, 310 pounds now, which is a bit lower). You can look at seat widths on the seat guru site, and compare the two, to get a sense of how it may go. (and also--how did that trip go, did she fit OK?)
Yeah, she was fine on Jet2 but I noticed the seatbelts were a lot longer than on EasyJet. I think her main concern is the length of the seatbelt - actually getting in the seat isn't a worry.

canadianbbw4u

Totally late reply!
I have noticed you can buy airline seat belt extenders on ebay. I hate asking for an extender so I am thinking about buying one. Most attendants are super nice about it. I have had some that hide them when handing them over.
Lately when I fly (usually same airline) I can notice a difference in the seats. Some are smaller and not as much leg room. Sitting there for 6 hours I get sore.

Hope her flight was enjoyable!!!!

lucca23v2

Curves for miles
I was going to respond to get a sea tbelt extender but then I noticed the topic posted back in April. Now I want to know how it went? I am very curious.

Latest posts