Quantcast

Folding/Travel/Outdoor CHAIRS

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?
(I couldn't find a current thread about this so please direct me to it if I've missed it! TYVM)

Does anyone have any recommendations for portable outdoor seating?

I personally need something rated to at least 500 lbs. My dream chair would be rated even higher. I would love a chair that's stable, easy to get in and out of, and if I could actually somewhat recline and put my feet up, that would be WONDERFUL.

I've got my eye on this zero-gravity chair sold by DestinationXL but I'm afraid of its stability and functionality with a supersized person using it and it isn't cheap ($140 with a $20 off coupon), plus I'm not sure if I'll be able to get up from it!:

I'm probably going to buy this folding camp chair (available at both 500 and 1000 pound capacities) sold by LivingXl because the price is right (on sale for $70 currently), but these chairs aren't typically very comfortable for my extra wide hips and wonky back:

Anyone have any experience with these or have any recommendations for something similar? I've looked at Amazon and Googled all variations of folding, lounge, travel, heavy duty, bariatric, extra-wide, etc. and nothing else has jumped out at me, plus everything's starting to look the same.

Thanks!

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?
Look at the chairs from Brylane
I'm looking for some recommendations on specific chairs from people who've tried them. There are literally tons of places to buy so-called heavy duty/big & tall/ wide chairs, but you never know until you try them just how reliable they actually are. Sorry for any confusion.

I knew I'd seen something about this around here at one point....took a bit of playing with the search parameters, but I found it! (I'd keep all discussion this new thread, since the old one was last active about five years ago--just linking it for reference)

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60812&highlight=chair
I found two old links, that one and one on the SSBBW board, but they are both outdated with dead links. I'll take from them what I can, but so many years later, manufacturers change, products change.. I need to know what people are sitting on now. Hope someone can help!

Thanks for your replies, guys :)

CarlaSixx

Just Another Weirdo
I've actually found some at Walmart for 40-80$ depending on weight capacity. Mine was 45$cad and it holds 450lbs. I've seen some at an American Walmart that holds up to 750lbs for about 70$. So there's options.

supersoup

Nice to meet you beanbag.
We just ordered this chair so I have a portable option: http://living-xl.destinationxl.com/mens-big-and-tall-store/chairs/extra-wide-backyard-folding-chair/cat70143/X1892?navAction=push&navCount=4

We got it, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'll be keeping a beach towel in the car with this though, because the little ends of the arms at the front of the chair feel weird on my thighs; I'll just fold the towel across the front of the chair before I sit down on it. It's pretty sturdy, I'm not worried about falling out of it or anything. My fiance's parents have a beach house with loads of outdoor furniture...all narrow, all with arms. I'm hoping this will help us spend time there. If you want pictures or anything, let me know!

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?
We just ordered this chair so I have a portable option: http://living-xl.destinationxl.com/mens-big-and-tall-store/chairs/extra-wide-backyard-folding-chair/cat70143/X1892?navAction=push&navCount=4

We got it, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'll be keeping a beach towel in the car with this though, because the little ends of the arms at the front of the chair feel weird on my thighs; I'll just fold the towel across the front of the chair before I sit down on it. It's pretty sturdy, I'm not worried about falling out of it or anything. My fiance's parents have a beach house with loads of outdoor furniture...all narrow, all with arms. I'm hoping this will help us spend time there. If you want pictures or anything, let me know!
Gah! This is one I was checking out today too. I just tried to order it, but stupid me and my procrastinating, I can't get it in time for our trip and expedited shipping isn't available. I thought there was a chance it might work for me as well. Thank you for the reply. It looks like a good chair. I hope it works well for you when you head out with your future in-laws!

I'll keep looking, but I may end up having to use my heavy duty folding chair. I'm worried with the portable camp chairs I'm going to have trouble with a bar across the front that many of those rated to 500+ lbs seem to have (digging into the back of my thighs), plus even tall people mention their feet dangling.

Thanks, all for replying.

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?
I don't know if I can find one to ship quickly enough, but I was looking at this tonight too:

InstaBench 3 Seater

Says it holds 250 lbs per seat.. With my spread, maybe this would work? Dunno.. Going to see if I can find one with expedited shipping available. Why do I put off these things?

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
"I knew I'd seen something about this around here at one point....took a bit of playing with the search parameters, but I found it! (I'd keep all discussion this new thread, since the old one was last active about five years ago--just linking it for reference)

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60812&highlight=chair
"
Good looking-out. The links (for products in there) no-longer work; and-so this is one of those cases where I'd say a new thread is more apropos.

@ThatFatGirl: Please be sure to follow-up with us on how those worked-out. I've had my eye on a number of products shown for a while now and....I dunno...they just don't quite look as strong as advertised. Curiosity definitely piqued though...

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?
Sorry if I've been a pain in this thread. I have spent so much time looking at chairs online in the last couple of days my head was spinning. I've been all over the place as far as what I'm looking for, working in the constraints of needing delivery by Friday next week and needing something that can accommodate my specific body shape (lower body lymphedema making my hips especially wide).

I finally ordered this camp chair from LivingXL.com which I will have to pad with towels and perhaps sit on top of a pillow and hope my hips will still fit under the arms. I ordered the one rated to 500 lbs because express shipping was available on it and not the one rated to 1000 lbs. I lose 1.5 or 2" in seat width, but it is 1" shorter which will be good. Also, it's on sale so reasonably ($35), I had no problem ordering the little canopy top too. Express shipping to the local CasualMaleXL store is only $7.50. Maybe I'll luck out and it will work. My fingers are crossed!

SoVerySoft

No fat no flavor
In Remembrance
That looks really nice! Hoping you'll report back.

Sorry if I've been a pain in this thread. I have spent so much time looking at chairs online in the last couple of days my head was spinning. I've been all over the place as far as what I'm looking for, working in the constraints of needing delivery by Friday next week and needing something that can accommodate my specific body shape (lower body lymphedema making my hips especially wide).

I finally ordered this camp chair from LivingXL.com which I will have to pad with towels and perhaps sit on top of a pillow and hope my hips will still fit under the arms. I ordered the one rated to 500 lbs because express shipping was available on it and not the one rated to 1000 lbs. I lose 1.5 or 2" in seat width, but it is 1" shorter which will be good. Also, it's on sale so reasonably ($35), I had no problem ordering the little canopy top too. Express shipping to the local CasualMaleXL store is only $7.50. Maybe I'll luck out and it will work. My fingers are crossed!

RedheadinNJ

found Mr. Treats-me-Right
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts