Food Disappointments

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

annabellethecat

When I saw this nice looking can of squid in oil I had happy memories of breaded calimari, delicately scented, crisp on the outside, tender in the middle, lightly seasoned with a sprinkle of lemon juice and salt... happy days..

First mistake... I didn't notice the tentacles peeking out the end of the squids, on the picture :doh: . Second mistake... opening the can... Third mistake... breathing. A rancid whoosh of overpowering fishiness shot up my nostrils, and my head jolted back as though Mike Tyson had punched it full force. It STANK!!! I peeled back the can lid to peek in, and found not the pretty whiteish squid of the box picture, but evil looking alien pinkish-purple mottled monstrosities all laying slimily squashed together, curling hideous suckery tentacles poking out obscenely from each one, twisting this way and that. By that point I felt real fear as well as disgust, I was also light headed due to trying not to breathe. I decided that for the sake of the foodee board I HAD to try a taste. So, I thought I could take off a little bit of the main part of a squid and nibble. However, as I tried to break a piece off with my fork, it tore away from the tentacles, leaving hideous stringy saliva-like threads attaching it to some indescribably terrifying black inner sanctum part. My resolve completely dissolved as I ran screaming, back to the kitchen, poured the oil down the sink and threw the disgusting spectacle into the bin. I washed my shaking hands thoroughly, then staggered to my bedroom, opened the window wide and gulped huge lungfuls of squid-scent free air, while passers-by looked curiously up at me. Feeling somewhat less traumatised by then, I went and made myself a consolation huge bowl of rice krispies with sugar and some heavy cream and milk. I was in desperate need of that comfort food. I'm thinking of sueing for the severe distress, trauma and smell I suffered.

Photos taken before I was incapable...
Thanks for that. Those little monstrosities will haunt my dreams for weeks.:eek:

annabellethecat

:eat1:
I can't imagine a night at the pub without salt and vinegar chips! Onion and cheese too.

I find most frozen meals to be a disappointment. I like the concept as sometimes I'm just not up to cooking or going downstairs for something to eat and it's too late/early to order in. I want to like frozen meals but there's just something horrible about them. My latest try was a vegetable lasagne that was watery and salty, not nice at all. I just can't go past the colourful packaging very prominently displayed with beautifully set tables and colourful, delicious looking food on the box. Why do I fall for it every time? Stupid, very stupid.

I bought a cookie dough kit kat last week and wow was it revolting. I couldn't finish it even though it was a kit kat. Every flavour I've tried I've liked, mint, strawberry, green tea, coffee, but cookie dough? Vomit.
Green Tea Kit Kat:eek:!!! Please tell me you're joking!

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
Growing up as a kid, I always loved the "rocket" popsicles...the cherry, vanilla and raspberry flavors. They've now replaced the white ice (vanilla) with either lemon or lime flavored ice. :doh: I LOVED the vanilla!! To me that is the ultimate disappointment! :mad::(:confused:
Shwann's still sells them as bomb pops with the lemon, I believe.

SoVerySoft

No fat no flavor
In Remembrance
If you recall this thread about the cupcake social with the cupcakes from Crumbs Bake Shop then you'll understand my disappointment...

I was excited to find out they have a location near me in NJ. Well, yesterday I went and picked up some cupcakes (damn, they're expensive) and took them to a friend's house.

And...

They sucked. Stale and way too sweet.

WTF??

I figured out that they must not bake them on premises, but get them shipped frozen from the NYC location. Totally ruins them, apparently.

So disappointed. And pissed about spending all that money.

p.s. After I had posted about the cupcake social, Toni sent me an email about how Crumbs cupcakes are not good, and she recommended a few other places in NJ. I remember thinking, wow, she didn't like Crumbs? Toni, I totally understand now. :bow:

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I don't really like ice cream but every now and then a flavor comes out that I have to at least try and Spouse could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner so it's pretty much always in the house so the other day (sorry for the run-on) I saw an ad for Blue Bunny party cake ice cream sandwiches.
Now, I've had party cake ice cream from Turkey Hill which is pretty good, with actual cake in it, but the sandwiches were awful. There wasn't any cake of any kind, nor frosting...it was basically vanilla ice cream with those round flat sprinkle dots. What a disappointment. :(

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
Blue Bunny in general is a low quality product. Its continued existence boggles the mind.. and tells me I must support my local Baskin Robbins before all is lost! ;)

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I've been in search of coconut M&M's and the new pretzel M&M's. None here so far in northeast PA. Any reviews yet?

stevenbbwlvr

This week I tried a couple of prepared foods and was sorely disappointed.

I already mentioned the California Pizza Kitchen Margherita Pizza (and its overly salty, "fishy" taste.)
"California Pizza Kitchen"? Kinda like the born again Christian brothel.

There are lots of good dining experiences in CA but pizza isn't one of them.

I miss the great CA Mexican food. Hard to come by here in NY.

Fat Brian

retarded disfigured clown
I've been in search of coconut M&M's and the new pretzel M&M's. None here so far in northeast PA. Any reviews yet?

My wife like the coconut M&Ms very much. Dark chocolate with a little bit of Mounds filling. They haven't made it grocery stores or Wal-Mart yet, we have more success finding them at convenience stores.

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
There's this rumor that there are NO yellow pretzel M&Ms... haven't found any yet. (haven't found any Preztel M&Ms yet..)

Fat Brian

retarded disfigured clown
I don't really like ice cream but every now and then a flavor comes out that I have to at least try and Spouse could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner so it's pretty much always in the house so the other day (sorry for the run-on) I saw an ad for Blue Bunny party cake ice cream sandwiches.
Now, I've had party cake ice cream from Turkey Hill which is pretty good, with actual cake in it, but the sandwiches were awful. There wasn't any cake of any kind, nor frosting...it was basically vanilla ice cream with those round flat sprinkle dots. What a disappointment. :(
Blue Bunny is to ice cream what Yugo is to cars.

DitzyBrunette

Well, filibuster.
I saw an ad for Blue Bunny party cake ice cream sandwiches.
I LOVE the Turkey Hill party cake ice cream, when we buy it we must buy two because my son loves it as well and I'm not good with sharing ice cream. That's why I bought the sandwiches, for my son, and I only needed to taste one to know I'd never buy them again.

and tells me I must support my local Baskin Robbins before all is lost! ;)
Baskin Robbins Baseball Nut is freakin' DELICIOUS :eat2:

Coconut M&M's are pretty good. I find them in my local corner stores all the time. If it wasn't ridiculously hot out these days I'd mail you some. If you don't have them by winter let me know :)

"California Pizza Kitchen"? Kinda like the born again Christian brothel.

There are lots of good dining experiences in CA but pizza isn't one of them.

I miss the great CA Mexican food. Hard to come by here in NY.
I had the frozen California Pizza Kitchen and it was pretty good. Never been to California so I don't know what the stuff in the actual restaurant tastes like.

Miss Vickie

There's this rumor that there are NO yellow pretzel M&Ms... haven't found any yet. (haven't found any Preztel M&Ms yet..)
I had the pretzel ones in Portland a couple of weeks ago. Tasty! Nice mix of salty and sweet. Yum.

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org
I had the pretzel M&M's here in Florida. They were good. I felt they needed a bit more chocolate, but they were definitely tasty. My favorites are still the peanut. And unfortunately I have yet been able to try the coconut.

Carrie

I tried Ben & Jerry's new Boston Cream Pie flavor recently, and.... bleh. Big disappointment. The base flavor was just kind of bland and generically sweet, not an actual flavor like vanilla, and the pieces of cake didn't translate well in ice cream at all. It made it a little bit gritty? or grainy, I'm not sure which. I had a few bites and threw the rest away.

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
I tried Ben & Jerry's new Boston Cream Pie flavor recently, and.... bleh. Big disappointment. The base flavor was just kind of bland and generically sweet, not an actual flavor like vanilla, and the pieces of cake didn't translate well in ice cream at all. It made it a little bit gritty? or grainy, I'm not sure which. I had a few bites and threw the rest away.

Ok, that's coming off my list then. Not worth it.

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
..wonders how it would stand up to Cold Stone Creamery's version with french vanilla ice cream, yellow cake, fudge, whipped topping, in a waffle cone..

knottyknicky

Hips like Cinderella
That thing about tasting the meat... sorry but I agree with you... I'll say that's just lazy talk for I can't cook worth crap and I'm not creative either.

At the bare minimum beef requires salt. (McDonald's usually uses a bit of salt and pepper on the patties) Without this or perhaps a bit of dried onion flakes you are left with the bland flavor of sub-standard beef (this isn't Carpaccio folks... and even that is often served with basil, capers, and possibly olive oil) and of course all the defects in that beef. Get a bit that doesn't taste as good as the rest?... Perhaps an note of wet dog here... burned protein there?...

Sheesh. I don't blame you at all.

Eh, I dunno. I love to cook and think I'm pretty good at it, and I only ever season my burgers with garlic salt and a little olive oil. Garlic salt and fresh pepper are the primary things we seasoned with growing up, so I guess its a familiar taste. Sometimes I get more creative but I like my burgers plain...as in no bacon-guacamole-fried egg-pineapple-jalapeno-etc for me. Just good cheddar, good lettuce, fresh tomato, pickles, red onions, and some 'sauce'. Yum.

Latest posts