Quantcast

Food Glorious Food: Foods and Restaurants you miss

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?
I was raised on cold cereal and I miss these classics: C.W.Post and Buc-Wheats.
"raised on cold cereal" :)

Me too. These might still be available, but I would never buy them because I have no control over myself with sweet cereals. I miss Quisp, King Vitamin, Booberry, and both Fruity & Coco Pebbles.

seavixen

Ditz Extraordinaire
There was a local restaurant when I was a kid that had THE BEST soft tacos.. ever... I dunno what it was that was in their sauce, but they tasted like pure, spicy magic. The restaurant is closed now, so even if I do visit the area again at some point... I'll never have one of those tacos again.

*sigh*

They were amazing.

PamelaLois

ILL-INI
PREACH IT, SISTER!

I remember Garcia's--'Pizza in a Cup.'
Which caf did you work in? I lived in PAR for 2 years.
I don't remember Pizza in a Cup. Was it a soup? I just remember those delicious rectangular slices and that a football game wasn't complete without a sighting of the "Flying Tomato" (The ORIGINAL hot air balloon- not some redheaded skater).

I lived in FAR for 3 years, so I worked there. Worked at ISR and Busey-Evans my senior year. Graduated in 85. You?

I L L.......

wtchmel

restaurants i miss, that would have to be The capitola,ca. Marie Callenders, considering they're closed now and that was my job for 20 years and now i'm without one. Not to mention the pies.....Sigh...... :(

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
I miss late night runs for GIANT bean burritos with gobs of cheese at Taco Bravo in the bay area. I always get a bagful of them to bring home when I'm down there.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
dunno if this counts, but Trader Joe's used to carry a toffee nut popcorn snack called "Rosencrunch and Guildenpop". I bought it because of the cute Shakespearean name, but I kept buying it because it was sooo yummy. and now it's gone :(

The name is too cute.

PamelaLois

ILL-INI
I miss Shakee's Pizza.
I miss Shakee's too! Years ago, my brother and a bunch of his buddies went to Shakee's the night before going to state champion swim meet. The 12 boys (high school age) wanted to "carbo-load" before the big event. After they had been there a few hours, the manager came out and told them that they had to leave because the restaurant was out of food. The boys had eaten all the shrimp, pizza, pasta and salad that the place had available for that night. I think that's why they went out of business. I still blame my brother, who's 42 now.

EMH1701

Doughnuts. Where have all the good doughnuts gone? My state doesn't even have Krispy Kreme anymore.

All we can really get are the boxed doughnuts at the grocery stores or the doughnuts at the gas stations.

I want a good doughnut.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
I want a good doughnut.
Like Bill Clinton, I feel your pain. I also know -- and you do, too -- that there is only one true and worthwhile answer to the problem: you need to get a deep fryer and make your own. I have only had homemade doughnuts once in my life: a former girlfriend made them for me once, and I have never forgotten them (or her). They were transcendent. Since you can tell the good from the mediocre, you owe it to yourself to learn to make doughnuts ... good ones. :bow:

s!gma

Canada used to Have Ponderosa steakhouses, I can only remember bits and pieces from my childhood, but Steak and Buffet seems like food heaven to me.

Chipotles! we have one or two downtown but they're not the same, We have to go to the states for the real taste.

...I hear Chipotles is coming out with a Chinese food restaurant in the same style, I cant wait.

I gotta drive down south!

Doughnuts. Where have all the good doughnuts gone? My state doesn't even have Krispy Kreme anymore.

All we can really get are the boxed doughnuts at the grocery stores or the doughnuts at the gas stations.

I want a good doughnut.
Now I want Krispy Kreme for Breakfast!

MisticalMisty

I want a good doughnut.
Honestly, some of the Donut places in the strip malls are pretty tasty.

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org

I want a good doughnut.
If you are ever in North Port, Florida, go to Abbe's Donuts on Tamiami Trail. They make fresh donuts every day for great prices. Also, apple fritters and cinnamon buns that will knock your socks off. You can get a huge bakery box filled for about $12.00 and they are fresh and huge and delicious. My favorite is the peanut butter filled with chocolate frosting. Just amazing.

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
Krispy Kreme overbuilt everywhere, got everyone hooked on their sweet sugary hot goodness.. and then closed up and left. Its possible that they're just victims of the 2008 recession, but I think it was planned from the beginning because I will drive hundreds of miles to re-experience a hot Krispy Kreme original donut (which is like dunking your head in a bucket of glaze).

I really really like their chocolate iced french crullers too. :D

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
Krystal's-A Southeastern thing (akin to White Castle), they came to Houston a few years back and I was in heaven. The one location they had closed down on August 31st. I got my daughter hooked on the Krystal burgers and my son loved the Krystal Chiks.

Memphis BBQ-I went back in May and had it for 3 meals. I love Topp's for sandwiches (Jumbo, no slaw, extra sauce) and Corky's for ribs and BBQ nachos. In the 17 years I've lived in Texas, I just haven't been able to fall in love with the BBQ. I was brought up on pork and beef just doesn't hit the mark.

Shoney's-I wish they hadn't pulled out of Houston. I love their breakfast bar and their fish sandwich is the best I ever had.

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
Krispy Kreme overbuilt everywhere, got everyone hooked on their sweet sugary hot goodness.. and then closed up and left. Its possible that they're just victims of the 2008 recession, but I think it was planned from the beginning because I will drive hundreds of miles to re-experience a hot Krispy Kreme original donut (which is like dunking your head in a bucket of glaze).

I really really like their chocolate iced french crullers too. :D
lol they did the same thing here in Chico. I still get a little mouth watery when i drive past one on my travels and that red light is on..

idontspeakespn

Rabble-rousing since 1982
I started craving this a few days ago:

Bubble (boba) tea. The iced tea (with milk, usually) sweetened with the pearl tapioca in it. I think it's seen in bigger cities as 'chic'

Here's a pic:

http://centurycafe.com/images/boba-tea-550x368.jpg

It's delicious and odd and sort of gross all at the same time. The place I got it from in D.C. soaks there is sweet tea for ages and it gets the tapioca pearls dark like it is in the picture...sooooo good.

And no one here has even heard of boba (bubble) tea. Can't find tapioca pearls here or off the internet either.

I guess when I go home for Christmas, I'll have to stock up on it.

vardon_grip

Consistently smarmy
I started craving this a few days ago:

Bubble (boba) tea. The iced tea (with milk, usually) sweetened with the pearl tapioca in it. I think it's seen in bigger cities as 'chic'

Here's a pic:

http://centurycafe.com/images/boba-tea-550x368.jpg

It's delicious and odd and sort of gross all at the same time. The place I got it from in D.C. soaks there is sweet tea for ages and it gets the tapioca pearls dark like it is in the picture...sooooo good.

And no one here has even heard of boba (bubble) tea. Can't find tapioca pearls here or off the internet either.

I guess when I go home for Christmas, I'll have to stock up on it.
Chaboba Bubble Tea
8 East Yard Camden Lock London, NW1 8AL
www.chaboba.co.uk

Boba Jam
102 Shaftesbury Ave
London W1D 5EJ

Bubbleology
http://www.bubbleology.co.uk/find-us.php

It may take a train or two to get there...but it can work in desperate times

Captain Save

never had a 40
I miss...

Coney Island restaurants in Detroit; the best had full service breakfast menus. I got hooked on gyros there, and they're hard to find here in southern Maryland.

I miss the breakfast burritos made fresh from the sandwich truck on the naval base in Virginia, loaded with potatoes, eggs, bacon, sausage, and salsa. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

I want a good doughnut.
I can't believe I didn't see this sooner! You need to go to YoYo Donuts & Coffee Bar in Mtka.

They're family owned; everything is made fresh daily and on site. They are not a chain. They have only one location on the planet, and they use a full strip of applewood smoked bacon on their maple long john's. They also do a raised, glazed s'more donut that has a toasted marshmallow resting in the hole in the center!