Food in the house/kitchen questions?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Orchid

I am homebound for health reasons and had to give up grocery shopping some years ago. S/O he does the grocery shopping once a week. I plan ahead for what to cook, I like cooking. Usually I have some extra items just in case. With the news of the new Corona virus and the regular flu that is also worse this season. Besides foreign news from several countries I look at Youtube, read other forums. I know in USA having extra food for weather events, keeping a pantry is normal.

I am in EU and kitchens here are small, no pantry.
A german online newspaper posted a list of 10 days food and what to have to eat 2200 calories daily in mostly non-perishable foods.
Besides the weekly shop I had S/O buy some extra pasta, box of rice here biggest is 1 kg and some tins canned food. He does not believe EUshops will run out of food anytime soon. But we too have JIT system no stock in shop just the truck that delivers daily.

Yesterday I see german Youtube old lady went to her local Lidl no TP, no veg, no hand sanitizer, produce section empty... I have seen same in vids of Italy. Is a bit scary. Where I live is food dessert no grocery shops at all, one has to drive 20 minutes to get groceries.

The nearest I lived to groceries was in my college days outside studentflat accross the street where 2 small grocery shops for the area.

I have now for approx 12 days food maybe stretch it to 15. How much food groceries do you keep in your kitchen? How many days can you eat, if only eating from what you have now in your house?

Click for translate to english scroll down to list.

Orchid

Still shortages in grocery shops no frozen soup vegetables. I used to keep 2 bags and now down to last 1/4 bag. With groceries shopping yesterday S/O manage to find the one last tiny bag fresh soup veg snipped very finely looks more like sprinkles veg. No chicken legs, no whole/complete chicken and no marmite....my jar is at 1/4.

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
I'm a bit OCD when it comes to food hoarding / long term storage. Lots of 2 liter bottles of water, dry goods, soup packets, pasta, canned beans, rice, dehydrated potatoes, powdered milk, etc. No real idea of how much. Maybe 5-6 months worth.

Tracyarts

We can probably go three months with only buying fresh food (fruit/vegetables, milk/cheese, meat, and bread) at the supermarket. Six weeks if we have to use only what we have now. I have a lot of things like beans, rice, pasta, baking supplies, and canned goods in the pantry, as well as a couple of extra boxes stockpiled in the utility room.

I was afraid of another round of pandemic shortages, and knew my husband's job was unstable. So I would make an order from Amazon prime pantry when I could, and add an extra few nonperishable food items to our weekly curbside pickup grocery order. That way, no matter what, we wouldn't be caught worrying about finding food.

Where we live, there's not really any food items we can't get easily in the supermarkets now. But paper towels, toilet paper, disinfectant cleansers, and certain healthcare products like rubbing alcohol? Those things are still very hard to find.

Orchid

Lately on Youtube suggesttions a lot of food shortages videos from allover USA. I also like reading the comments on videos and found few EU comments though not many, here too.
People who go grocery shopping have you noticed shortages/ low stock/empty shelves ?

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
That has happened here too, @Orchid. We're in lockdown where I am right now, including a nightly curfew. I live about 7 minutes drive from my local shops, and have seen the shelves clear out incredibly fast, even before lockdowns have gone into effect. Our first lockdown meant that the shelves were bare of TP, tissues, hand sanitiser, paper towels, meat, rice and pasta, plain/SR flour, and the dairy was very limited.

So far, we've been lucky to have regular deliveries of produce and household items to replenish the grocery store, but it hasn't stopped people rushing to the shelves. People panic and fear that they will miss out on what's available, so they buy in bulk, thus leaving little for everyone else.
As a way of curtailing the people who want to leave the store with a full trolley of TP (for instance), the stores have had to put a limit on certain products, and that has helped.

Orchid

Writing the weekend grocery list early. I hope this time weekly shop they have whole chickens and beef meat for stew and the little eggs dozen pack.
The TP the very soft type that was popular with IBS folks never came back in stock since the C-event start.
No baby garbanzo beans jars. Less fruits/veggies in a box and higher prices. No instant coffee.
Several items deleted from stock they claim public was not buying enough to keep in stock but many folks looking for things like hot sauces and exotic foods. Tortillas only the smallest size house brand tortillas instead of several sizes, several brands. Only 3 box of uncle ben USA rice this year instead of 1 box every 3 or 4 weeks. Box is smaller size and less rice in it.

Tracyarts

In the months since this thread started, my husband was out of a job for 5 months and we went through a winter storm emergency. So we did make very good use of our little grocery stockpile. I haven't really replenished it. But am working on buying a few extra "open and eat" nonperishable things with every weekly grocery order in case we have another winter storm and have power outages and water outages.

Now, our local stores are generally fairly well stocked. But there are often temporary shortages of random items. Like one week there are hardly any potato chips, the next week there are plenty of potato chips but hardly any coffee creamer. So the supply chain is still a little bit iffy, but overall there is plenty of food to go around. The only consistent change is that meat prices are way up and the selection of meat is a lot smaller now.

I've read local people on social media discussing anticipation of shortages for holiday items. We personally don't do big holiday celebrations, so it really won't affect us much. But people are concerned here and it may trigger a panic run on holiday things like toys, decorations, baking supplies, and holiday food/drinks.

Latest posts