Food trends that irritate you

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

toni

In the know
Amen. I especially hate it when Rachel Ray insists upon using the acronym, THEN defining it. UGH. Pick one and go with it, woman!
Ugh, I hate everything that woman says. She is super annoying and not to mention very very very fake. What's up with those big manly hands she is always flailing all over the place? :rolleyes:

Crystal

Aww, I actually like Rachel Ray. I watched her Chefography the other day and she seems like a great person.

Buut, I CAN see where she would get annoying realllly fast. She's pretty loud and excited, yeah.

MY favorite is Paula Deen. That woman is so crazy, and I love it. I will go to her restaurant one of these days.

Red

Did you grow up on the east coast? People here, I notice, call them jimmies. But out west I grew up knowing them as sprinkles.

And I also dislike them. :)
Over here we call them Hundreds and Thousands and they're 'orrible...complete waste of time in my book, bleugh.

sugar and spice

Ugh, I hate everything that woman says. She is super annoying and not to mention very very very fake. What's up with those big manly hands she is always flailing all over the place? :rolleyes:
I totally agree. I do like Rachael Ray but the way she talks drives me nuts. The one I really hate is when she calls sandwiches sammies :doh: She really is cute and spunky but her invented lingo is annoying to me too.:)

sweet&fat

My aim is true.
This sounds like Cincinnati-style chili. It's interesting, but -- to this Okie, anyway -- a little weird. It's always served on spaghetti, for one thing, and the chili must contain cinnamon.
Chili... on spaghetti??? :shocked:

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org
Chili... on spaghetti??? :shocked:
I must give a shout out to Cincinnati Chili. I am a Jersey girl and live in Florida now. The only reason I know what Cincinnati Chili is that a snowbird, (winter visitor) posted a recipe in the local paper and I tried it.

It is not a traditional red chili. It actually comes out brown since, as mentioned in previous posts, it contains cinnamon and chocolate. It has a rich, unique, delicious flavor. It is served traditionally on top of spagetthi and then you offer toppings. They are warm red kidney beans, chopped white onions and shredded cheddar cheese. That is then called a three way, four way or five way. They also state that the proper way to eat this chili is by cutting through the layers and scooping it all up with fork so you get it all. You don't twirl it like a traditional spaghetti and you don't mix it all in.

I don't think this is meant to be a food snob thing, only a presentation of a traditional recipe. It tastes really good and it does make a bit of difference how you eat it. If anyone wants the recipe I use, PM me.

Sorry to get off track, back to things that irritate.

toni

In the know
I totally agree. I do like Rachael Ray but the way she talks drives me nuts. The one I really hate is when she calls sandwiches sammies :doh: She really is cute and spunky but her invented lingo is annoying to me too.:)
I am with you on the lingo. You know what is worse than her saying it? Other people saying it. I hate when I talk to an adult and they call a sandwich a sammy or sammich. It's not cute, its baby talk. STOP IT! LOL

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
I am with you on the lingo. You know what is worse than her saying it? Other people saying it. I hate when I talk to an adult and they call a sandwich a sammy or sammich. It's not cute, its baby talk. STOP IT! LOL
Yes, they must use word like 'Grinder' and 'Po Boy' :D

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
Ok, I love cupcakes lol. SO much more convenient for serving. had them for my wedding cake and they were delicious and a huge hit.

I agree with the EVOO thing.

And I too call them jimmies.

Ok...now, my irritating things:

What's the deal with EVERY sandwich being toasted or grilled???! Now i actually have to ask Subway NOT to toast my stupid sandwich. I like my bread soft and squishy.

And why is it that we can toss anything in the fridge and/or cabinet together and if we add cream of mushroom soup to it, it's suddenly a casserole??

olwen

Disco Bear
"EVOO."

Five more syllables won't kill you. Really.
HA! I hate it that she says that too. And when she says "Sammies" instead of sandwiches. You know she just irritates me. But you know who I love on the food network - Paula Dean. I watch her show with a mixture of disgust, fascination, and hunger.

katorade

For the people who do not like cupcakes. You all are nuts! lol I know there are a lot of crappy cupcake shops out there. The cake tastes like crap and they over compensate by making the icing super sugary. However, there are some places that do it right. When you find one, it is a little piece of heaven.
Agreed. The cupcake is a terrific vehicle for combining everything people love about pastries. They can be extremely simple and home-spun to exotic and elegant, and are appealing to everyone from children to the elderly. They're also portable and come in handy single servings. I hate cupcakes made with shortening-based frosting, or cupcakes that are merely a vehicle for a giant mound of sugary frosting.

Ironic both cupcakes and Cincinnati chili were mentioned in this thread. I just recently moved here and baked a batch in honor of Cincy's own Skyline Chili. They were chocolate cupcakes with chipotle chili powder, allspice, and cinnamon topped with a cinnamon clove cream cheese frosting. Cincinnati style chili, by the way, is a creation of greek immigrants. Many greek meat dishes (my favorite is pastitsio) contain sweeter spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, and many contain cocoa.

Also, for you cilantro haters, there's a reason behind your hatred. Apparently they have discovered that some people have an enzyme in their saliva that reacts with cilantro and gives it a terrible taste that ranges from soapy to rancid to "a mouth full of nickels". Next time anyone gives you grief about it, lclue them in.

As for my food trend issue, mine aren't really trendy, just more common flavors that shouldn't be. White chocolate-macadamia, and sun-dried tomato. Keep them awaaaaaaaaaay!

RevolOggerp

CHILI DOES NOT BELONG ON NACHOS. EVER.
I agree. I've been to a couple restaurants that have chili nachos. I thought it was a unique menu item and decided to try them. In all cases, it ruined the nachos. :(

I prefer ground beef. :)
Canned veggies without salt don't need to be pricier than the ones with salt. If you leave something out, why does it cost more?
I agree with you.

They always charge less for products that contain more.

For instance, my sister uses laundry detergent that contains nothing but soap (no fragrance, no softener, etc) due to allergy reasons. Yet, it costs more. If they don't add softener and fragrance, shouldn't it cost less? :(
Why must chefs add truffles to everything fancy?
Are you referring to those $300 a pound mushrooms or those chocolate candies?

If you're referring to those $300 a pound mushrooms, I agree. They would certainly save a lot of money if they used it a lot less and our menu items would be a lot cheaper.

RevolOggerp

One example that has been driving me crazy lately is POMEGRANATE. Has anyone else noticed that pomegranate flavor is freaking everywhere in the past year or so? Not only juice, but as an accent flavor in tea, as a color descriptor, flavoring/fragrance in makeup, etc etc.
I've noticed the same thing. At first, I didn't even know what it was. The first time I saw that word was when a local convenience store was selling those little snowman-shaped bottles that were expensive. Since I had a couple extra bucks to spend, I decided to try one. Blah! Tasted horrible. Months later, that word started popping up everywhere else in everything. I still didn't understand what the hell it was... until I saw a movie mention it and someone was eating the actual fruit. From what they described, it sounded good... but tasted awful to me.
100 calorie snack packs piss me off.

anything that says low fat on it pisses me off because it's bound to have more sugar than the regualr version. Italian salad dressing especially. Bleech.

individually sliced and wrapped cheese is weird. Tastes like wax.
Yep... I'm the same. I prefer regular stuff, not diet stuff. Ever go on a low-carb diet and try to find something that low in carbs as dressing or condiments? Well, regular stuff is actually lower in carbs than the "light" and "diet" stuff. Even the light salad dressings have 2 to 3 times more carbs than the regular stuff.

That's why I don't care much anymore for diet stuff. If someone offered me soda and all they had was diet soda, I'd be fine with it... but by personal choice elsewhere, I prefer the regular stuff. :)
I, too, dislike chocolate sprinkles and have done so ever since the mice moved into our house.
I don't like ANY sprinkles. I'm not very crazy over chocolate. I don't mind a small piece of dark chocolate candy or a chocolate cupcake if someone offered me one, but I won't say... "I want chocolate!" The only way I will accept chocolate is if it's added to vanilla ice cream or served as part of something with caramel or peanut butter. Gotta love those Reese's and Carmello candies! :)

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
HA! I hate it that she says that too. And when she says "Sammies" instead of sandwiches. You know she just irritates me. But you know who I love on the food network - Paula Dean. I watch her show with a mixture of disgust, fascination, and hunger.

Ha! That is the best description of Deen's show. Am also a little tired of the sammie talk..and..deelish..yummo..* silent scream *..oh..and...GB ( garbage bowl ). I tend to just snag a plastic bag from the grocery store and shove all my crap in as I am cooking...well, when I don't just leave it on the counter for a while, looking like a war zone.

Vitamin Water...oy.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
Cinncinnati Chili is the bomb.
I also dislike Rachael Ray...EVOO extra virgin olive oil...I don't understand the point of using an acronym if you're always going to define it afterward. I've never heard her say just EVOO and I've watched A LOT of Rachael Ray in my 18 years. My Mom is an avid fan, UNFORTUNATELY!

I think the most annoying food trend is food, recipe books and appliances that have the name or picture of a famous chef on them. They just use it to trick people into thinking its going to make their food better or that its higher quality or something. One thing that really comes to mind is all of those sauces by Emril...they taste just like anything Kraft puts out and it's twice the price! Oh, and going back to Rachael Ray...the other day I saw an advertisement for a Rachael Ray garbage bowl and guess what, THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS! I can't believe anyone would be sucked into buying that. Rachael Ray puts a big, green, plastic bowl next to her while she cooks and suddenly green tupperware is all the rage. Ridiculous!

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
Agreed. The cupcake is a terrific vehicle for combining everything people love about pastries. They can be extremely simple and home-spun to exotic and elegant, and are appealing to everyone from children to the elderly. They're also portable and come in handy single servings. I hate cupcakes made with shortening-based frosting, or cupcakes that are merely a vehicle for a giant mound of sugary frosting.

Ironic both cupcakes and Cincinnati chili were mentioned in this thread. I just recently moved here and baked a batch in honor of Cincy's own Skyline Chili. They were chocolate cupcakes with chipotle chili powder, allspice, and cinnamon topped with a cinnamon clove cream cheese frosting. Cincinnati style chili, by the way, is a creation of greek immigrants. Many greek meat dishes (my favorite is pastitsio) contain sweeter spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, and many contain cocoa.

Also, for you cilantro haters, there's a reason behind your hatred. Apparently they have discovered that some people have an enzyme in their saliva that reacts with cilantro and gives it a terrible taste that ranges from soapy to rancid to "a mouth full of nickels". Next time anyone gives you grief about it, lclue them in.

As for my food trend issue, mine aren't really trendy, just more common flavors that shouldn't be. White chocolate-macadamia, and sun-dried tomato. Keep them awaaaaaaaaaay!
Wow, great informative post, thanks!! That's very interesting about the cilantro thing! Also... pastitsio, omg... that takes me back to holidaying on Corfu on a tight budget and eating pastitsio nearly every day as it was so cheap yet tasty and filling, so we could afford to buy more alcohol each night - happy memories! :D

ps. your fairy cakes (cupcakes) look fantastic, I love the sound of the flavours in the frosting!

LalaCity

I hate that I have to actually ask for ketchup to go along with my french fries now at the drive thru...

Sometimes I forget and I am not a happy camper when I get home.:mad:

sugar and spice

I hate that I have to actually ask for ketchup to go along with my french fries now at the drive thru...

Sometimes I forget and I am not a happy camper when I get home.:mad:
OH yeah me too, I hate not getting any ketchup, but they load you down with salt packets.:doh:

JerseyGirl07093

Stick a fork in me
Okay, I looked at Jersey Girl's profile and had to post a photo of the Artie Lange Cupcake:
This amazing cupcake has it all...vanilla sponge cake with chocolate buttercream filling and Crumbs signature vanilla frosting topped with a layer of chocolate fondant and then finished with chocolate and vanilla sprinkles around the edge. Like Artie's uncompromising personality, the cupcake is perfect for those who can't choose between chocolate and vanilla.

See bakeries put too much stuff on it and then it's horrible! really!
I tried to rep you for the Artie Lange cupcake, but I couldn't. :mad:

Yes, I loves me some Artie Lange and one day when I finally try that cupcake I'm sure I'll love that too! :eat2:

Latest posts