Quantcast

Found something disturbing

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Observer

Editor/Writer/Commentator
Well, I kinda wished you'd sent me a PM about this rather than calling public attention to it, but you're right. Under current rules this story would certainly have been declined.

The problem, of course, is that its one of those old stories that got included back before there were any rules. Since its not located in the VB forum system we as mods can't just delete it. We need to ask the only two people on the planet with access to that list to remove such tales.

I rather expect you will shortly see it quietly disappear.

Phrozen

Coincidentally, as it were, I was just about to send you a PM regarding a number of tales in the old archives of the Weight Room I figured did not really have a place at all here under the rules.

And if I may be so bold as to ask, who ARE the only two people? Conrad, obviously, but who's the 2nd?

Observer

WGSD - the Weight Gain Story Drone, who was my predecessor both here and in the WG room. He is still available for special requests.

In fairness, he inherited a collection that was a melange of materials from everywhere. He did an admirable job of bringing some sort of order out of chaos. But he never had time to read every one and toss all the garbage.

What happened instead was that his time became limited and we had nearly 18 months with no new stories. Then circumstances led to the starting of the Forums and I began helping as one of the original two mods. After nine months we decided upon what has become the current system.

We have transferred over 200 stories from the WG board to the Forums during the past two years, editing as we go. But I'm open to volunteers willing to help accelerate the process.

Phrozen

ahh... and here I thought WGSD was in fact yourself. How wrong I have been. Yes, I still remember the days when the Forum archives were just beginning. Hell, I remember the days when the old stories page was still updated semi-frequently.

Observer

Nope, I was just a (hopefully) size positive story writer who started out in 2005 with Ann Marie when we had just four forums of which the Library was one. WGSD was the Library curator. But in Spring of 2006 there was a big flap over an animal abuse story, the role of minors and protagonist abuse. It all led to a rethinking of our entire approach.

Observer

And, for the record, the story which instigated this thread has now been removed.

Observer

He is still around, occasionally even posting under his normal screen name.

However, due to changes in work location and other matters he is not presently able to be as active publicly as he once was.

Phrozen

I know that this is going off topic, but were you around under any other name before you became Observer? You've been around for what, a year now? Two maybe?

Observer

A lot longer than two years - there are numerous Observer stories in the WR collection dating back to as long ago as 1998. Many of them were initially posted to the old Pound Perfect Paradise site on AOL, as were those of Swordfish and a few others.

That site hasn't been maintained since around 2001, when the chat room and newsletter with which it was linked passed from the scene. It was then that I contributed everything there that hadn't already been shared to Dimensions and began posting my newer work to Dimensions.

Up until 2005 the Dimensions Boards had never had moderators, but by that time I was a known quantity to Conrad. A flame war led to a partial shutdown of one of the old boards and a testing of these forums using Virtual Bulletin software. Because he knew my background and long-term interest in size acceptance I was asked to become one of the original mods and accepted.

By Spring of 2006, after having helped get some additional forums started some issues on story content led to design of what is now the Library. Upon approval it became my primary focus, which may explain why you may think of me as only having been around for two years.

Wilson Barbers

Full-time Fanta-sizer
I was the Weight Room Story Drone. I don't particularly recall "Baby Fat," though I do remember getting submissions during my tenure that skirted the edge at times. Whenever Conrad or I received a complaint, we tried to quickly remove it. It didn't happen that often, but I do specifically remember this being done to an SJ Feeder "Hansel and Gretel" story.

ahh.. Good job.

Whatever happened to WGSD anyway?

Phrozen

Ah yes, Observer already PM'd me that you are WGSD. Funny thing too is that I remember now having known that quite a while back now, but had forgotten it until now.

And yes, the Hansel and Gretel one.. That was another that I remembered.

WildFox500

Chocolate Jesus
The protagonist was a little kid. Most members view these stories for at least semi-sexual purposes. I think you can connect the dots to figure out why it was such an offense from here.

Aleph0

The protagonist was a little kid. Most members view these stories for at least semi-sexual purposes.
Well, as for this "Baby Fat" story, I double-checked and indeed, it does have a disturbing paragraph describing a minor touching herself. While I doubt if it could be called pedophilic, it likely isn't right and deserves to be deleted.

However, while we are at it, I am always puzzled by this "members view for sexual purposes" approach that you mentioned.
There have been similar issues with stories which, unlike this one, had nothing sexual involving children, and the only connection seemed to be that they shared a library with adult stories.

Do we have to censor content based on a possibility that some person may read it in a sexually aroused state of mind, assuming that it will make the content itself inappropriate?
Or if I may be blunt (may I?), what, if someone sits down to read a story with his pants unzipped, then finds out that the story is unsuitable, and feels embarrassed, is it the story's fault?

Risible

Monkey Daze
Well, as for this "Baby Fat" story, I double-checked and indeed, it does have a disturbing paragraph describing a minor touching herself. While I doubt if it could be called pedophilic, it likely isn't right and deserves to be deleted.

However, while we are at it, I am always puzzled by this "members view for sexual purposes" approach that you mentioned.
There have been similar issues with stories which, unlike this one, had nothing sexual involving children, and the only connection seemed to be that they shared a library with adult stories.
Actually, Dimensions is an adult website. You must be 18 (the age of legal majority here in the U.S.) to join. Therefore, it is a library for adults with adult stories; there is no point in having stories for children that are about children here.

The sexual aspect does not need to be overt; a story does not need to contain erotica here to stimulate. At its essence, Dimensions is a website that holds a particular physical quality to be erotic and sexually attractive: fat. That is implicit. So when a story features a child (defined as being under the age of 18) gaining weight or being fat to begin with, it is implicit that said child is therefore sexually attractive.

Do we have to censor content based on a possibility that some person may read it in a sexually aroused state of mind, assuming that it will make the content itself inappropriate?
Or if I may be blunt (may I?), what, if someone sits down to read a story with his pants unzipped, then finds out that the story is unsuitable, and feels embarrassed, is it the story's fault?
I understand that your's is a rhetorical question, but I'm not sure what you mean by "censor" in your context. What we editors/moderators usually do with inappropriate material involving a child is either reject the story or change the age to 18.

The Webmaster demands this, and we support it.

Observer

The story was removed because it involved a minor literally from sandbox age upwards in a weight gain fantasy - hence the title "Baby Fat." This clearly violated the posted present guidelines on excluded contributions:

Excluded Contributions: those with any references of a sexually enticing nature either to underage protagonists or with underage protagonists present; those that associate or involve pre-pubescent protagonists with any kind of weight references or participatory character role; those that involve teenage minors in practices such as feeding, weight gain drugs, explicit sex and similar themes;
The idea of weight gain is highly erotic to many FAs and FFAs even without any ideas of sexual activity. Those who write, read and enjoy fiction based on this reality can well attest to it. Some of our better WG fiction writers actually began writing WG fiction as early as 14. We have made a conscious value judgement that such tastes, like fine liquor, should not be indulged in here relative to characterizations of those who are underage.

WildFox500

Chocolate Jesus

I made my comment in regard to this story. I can't speak for the reasoning behind the other stories simply because I haven't had any exposure to them.

However, I will say that I trust the judgment of the mods. It seems to me that the rules here only exist to keep things legal. I'm not insinuating that there are no higher ethical feelings at work, but I'm sure the primary reason the story was deleted was that the legality of hosting it was questionable. I don't have a problem with losing the occasional story in order to keep the fine collection of stories here around. Again, I can't say that this explanation works for the other stories you're referencing, but I'd be willing to bet it isn't too far off.

Vader7476

Divine Sith Lord
It had been on there for years. Seems completely pointless to make such a big deal about something now, and then have it removed after all this time. Especially since many of the stories on here have characters that are under 18 that gain.

Latest posts