Fun with Nails!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
you have, to my mind, the perfect nails. lovely, lovely. nice shape and here's the key: you have a very long nail bed, so even when short, your nails look long. I have a very short nailbed and my nails, even when longer, always look stubby. and i hate it.
Oh, thank you! How sweet. :) I assure you, my nails look pretty stubby when they're cut short, really-- these have a little bit of the white part that grows up (and eventually gets clipped off). Have you tried pushing cuticles back? I use that trick a LOT to make my nails look longer. I have such short, stubby fingers that making my nails look a little longer offsets the stubbiness-- so I strive for it.

Edit: Also, I forgot-- sometimes, over time, clipping your nails SUPER short can sort of shorten your nail bed. Maybe let them grow out more/for longer periods of time? (Trying to think of helpful stuff)

Jes

is oddly aroused
Oh, thank you! How sweet. :) I assure you, my nails look pretty stubby when they're cut short, really-- these have a little bit of the white part that grows up (and eventually gets clipped off). Have you tried pushing cuticles back? I use that trick a LOT to make my nails look longer. I have such short, stubby fingers that making my nails look a little longer offsets the stubbiness-- so I strive for it.

Edit: Also, I forgot-- sometimes, over time, clipping your nails SUPER short can sort of shorten your nail bed. Maybe let them grow out more/for longer periods of time? (Trying to think of helpful stuff)
might be right, but i'm screwed now. a whole childhood/adolescence of chewing my nails off has ruined a lot of possibilities!

ashmamma84

Om Namah Shivayah
My favorite color is Vixen It an Esse color i think .. im not sure .. but i like dark colors on my nails and toe nails sometimes i change it up to really light like Ballet Slipper . also an Esse color

i actually did a hot pink for Vegas .. I HATE it
I like sheer colors too, but the hot pink sounds cute....

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
might be right, but i'm screwed now. a whole childhood/adolescence of chewing my nails off has ruined a lot of possibilities!
Well, it's never too late to try! My best friend feverishly bit her nails until she was 21 or 22. She's since stopped (she'll be 24 in November) and her nails have changed a LOT.

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
I've always wanted to have a professional manicure and pedicure, although the pedicures here are only having the toenails painted etc, no foot work happens. They are way out of my budget though, expensive here, so to get my nice long nails I love to stop my hands looking like fat baby hands, I buy cheapy cheap fake nails on ebay and glue them on, theyre about the equiv of $3 a pack of 20, and I think they look as good as a salon manicure! Well... if you don't look too closely! :p

ashmamma84

Om Namah Shivayah
I've always wanted to have a professional manicure and pedicure, although the pedicures here are only having the toenails painted etc, no foot work happens. They are way out of my budget though, expensive here, so to get my nice long nails I love to stop my hands looking like fat baby hands, I buy cheapy cheap fake nails on ebay and glue them on, theyre about the equiv of $3 a pack of 20, and I think they look as good as a salon manicure! Well... if you don't look too closely! :p
You did that yourself?! You have more skill than me, that's for sure! They look lovely!

Isa

In search of....
Those look beautiful! I've always wondered about the quality of the stick/glue ons I see in the store.

I've recently went back to my fakies after obliterating my natural nails over the past several months and my hands look so much better. Went with the natural look as I have no patience anymore for sitting around the shop waiting for polish to dry. My toes dry much quicker so they are a dark red right now. I finally took a chance there, trying something different from my usual browns and have been very pleased with it.

GWARrior

Ive always been a wicked nail-biter... still am actually. But over this summer, I started getting into painting my nails (I had a lot of fun with a black marker and clear polish!).

unforutnately, with my job working for a dog groomer, i spend a lot of time bathing dogs, making the polish peel off. :(

and i really really suck at painting my nails. im horrible at it.

Kimberleigh

gardening, mostly.
Normally this time of year I have shredded nails from working in the garden. I found a pair of fabulous gloves this spring, and have had nails all summer. :D
It's hard to tell in the photo, but the color is called Love Letters, it's pale pink, I forget the brand. The toenails are currently a Loreal metallic purple called Barefoot Babe.

View attachment hands.JPG

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
Holy crap-- are those your real nails? Mine peel and split before they ever get that long.

Half Full

I have the pink & white too, Donna ... and I love them. My only concern is that they are damn expensive to maintain. I'm paying $30 for a fill. I can't seem to find anyplace to do it for less, and I don't understand why acrylics are so much cheaper ($14 for a fill).

I do a french pedicure for the toes also. I really like the clean, fresh way it looks & it seems to last longer than a simple polish does.
Pink and Whites are much more expensive because they require lots more work...you can't just clip off the old acrylic and do a fill, you have to file out the white and refill that, then fill the pink from the cuticle. You have to do it that way to maintain a balanced, natural looking pink to white ratio. It's twice as labor intensive as plain acrylics. (I'm not a nail tech, just always been into nails :D )

Half Full

I like to try different things with my nails...especially so in the summer. What do you like to do to your nails? Do you create designs with paint or rhinestones?

This week my nails are "Geranium"...it's a red-like color by Essie, but I don't have any designs on them. I am getting a fill in and pedi tomorrow after work, so I'll snap a pic.

Bonus points if you post pics!
Two of my recent maincures. These are my real, natural nails with nothing on em but polish and I do my own manicure once every 2 - 3 weeks. I can make the polish last that long cause I use Seche Vite as a topcoat and it ROCKS!
(I have a knitting blog and we were posting pics of "Knitting and Knails" if you're wondering about why I have nail pics :D )

Pink and White, the pink being a shimmery light pink (Essie for the white and OPI Brights collection, "And This Little Piggy..." for the pink.)

OPI, "You Red My Mind"

I'm currently wearing OPI Brights Collection, "Pink Before You Leap" another, slightly darker, shimmery pink. I like light, bright polishes for summer, I save all my deep berry, fuschia and reds for the winter mostly. I almost exclusively wear frosted/shimmer polish and my toes are almost always nekkid :eek:

Reactions: kr7

Sandie S-R

I started wearing acrylics back in the 70s when they first showed up in salons in Colorado. I wore them clear up until 6 months ago. Rachael and I used to go and get our nails and toes done every two weeks. It was our Mommie/Daughter time. Our salon charged $30 for a full set, and $15 for fills for frenchtips with acrylic overlay, which is what we both always did. We like the french for our fingers and bright colors on the toes. The Spa pedicures are $18. She and I just got tired of going and decided to take ours off and let our natural nails grow out. I'm surprised that I really like my natural nails so much. They are strong and grow well, rarely chip or break, and look pretty nice I think. I still go for pedis, but am happier with my shorter natural nails. Here is how they look tonight (I just polished them with OPI).

View attachment fingtoe.jpg

TraciJo67

Pink and Whites are much more expensive because they require lots more work...you can't just clip off the old acrylic and do a fill, you have to file out the white and refill that, then fill the pink from the cuticle. You have to do it that way to maintain a balanced, natural looking pink to white ratio. It's twice as labor intensive as plain acrylics. (I'm not a nail tech, just always been into nails :D )
I know that it's more labor intensive, but I'm not sure about doubly so. I've used acrylics in the past, and it took nearly as long to get a fill (unless I didn't need them cut down). But then again, I'm not the one cutting and scraping and filing and brushing and dealing with nasty chemicals all day long.

Sandie - I've tried many times to use my natural nails, but the problem is, after taking the acrylics off, they are very weak & flexible. They break off so easily. Your nails look healthy & hard. How long did it take to get them in that condition? Did you do anything special to them to help them grow stronger?

Shosh

Susannah
Hey Ash, This week my nails are electric blue!! They look ace too!:) Susannah

Sandie S-R

I know that it's more labor intensive, but I'm not sure about doubly so. I've used acrylics in the past, and it took nearly as long to get a fill (unless I didn't need them cut down). But then again, I'm not the one cutting and scraping and filing and brushing and dealing with nasty chemicals all day long.

Sandie - I've tried many times to use my natural nails, but the problem is, after taking the acrylics off, they are very weak & flexible. They break off so easily. Your nails look healthy & hard. How long did it take to get them in that condition? Did you do anything special to them to help them grow stronger?
Hey TraciJo...

Yeah the first couple of weeks they were a little soft, but after that they did wonderful, much better than I expected. I do 2 things to keep them strong and not breaking. 1., always keep them polished. I use 2 coats of polish and a strong top coat. As soon as I see any chips, I take off the polish and re-polish (usually about every 5-6 days). I must admit that I have to polish more with naturals than with Acrylics, but it's the trade off. :) 2., I drink a soy protien shake every day with lunch. It has helped my hair and nails like you can't believe. Great stuff!!

So, those are my secrets.

Half Full

The primer that your tech puts on your nails prior to applying the acrylic is acid designed to eat little "holes" into your nail to give the acrylic something to adhere to. When you take your acrylics off they will always be soft and weak :(

The "secret" to long natural nails is of course a healthy diet, genetics and MOISTURE. You don't want hard nails, you want flexible nails that will survive life's daily assult without breaking. Moisturize your nails buy appllying lotion at least once daily and massaging some cuticle oil in at least once a week plus drinking lots of water. As Sandie said, keeping them polished with a good top coat is essential. ( I heartily recommend Seche Vite! - you can find it at most beauty supply stores and online)

You can use a nail hardener after your acrylics come off but once your nails are back to their pre-acrylic state, most hardeners make your nails too hard vs. flexible and they break.

Hope this helps :D

latinshygirl92377

oh wow i hadnt seen this thread,,,,its really cool! i like doing my own nails,i think its kinda safer...but anyhow this is the kinda thing i like to do
these are my nails,

By the way girls such pretty nails!:bow:

Latest posts

Group builder