Quantcast

Funk Appreciation.....

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
I’ve got all kinds of train songs, but no funk ones :(, so i’mma gonna derail the funk train set.

Cameo was mentioned earlier in this thread, but i don’t recall seeing my fave of theirs—another i used to love to spin. Here with clean audio and a very blurry video we have:
Alligator Woman — Cameo

🎼 You’re a mess
I must confess
You make me hot
With what you’ve got
Your big behind
It makes me blind
Don’t take me gross
But you’re the most 🎼

Yes, that last couplet got to me in a tingly way back in the day.

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
Why did I wait so long for this one?
^ Gobsmacked

^ Have not even thought of that song, much less heard it, in 40 years. Made. My. Day.

Most of us currently active in this thread seem to have been around and into music inclusively spanning the late 1970s into the ’80s (and likely after and maybe before, but that’s outside the scope of this post), and thus will remember the Big Disco vs. Punk/New Wave Divide. We’ve heard a lot already from the more Disco side of Funk. Since i followed the latter path of that divide, thanks to reading a few days ago on Wikipedia, i learned that one of my favorite ever ever songs qualifies as avant-funk.

Also from 1980 (single; The Glitterhouse LP dropped in 1981), from the UK, Medium Medium performing Hungry, So Angry (which title suggests interesting things in a dom feedee intimate interpersonal relationship… maybe a theme song for same?)

Stereophonic high fidelity:

Monophonic, original 1980 or ’81 Cherry Red Records music video:

BigElectricKat

Staff member
Global Moderator
^ Gobsmacked

^ Have not even thought of that song, much less heard it, in 40 years. Made. My. Day.

Most of us currently active in this thread seem to have been around and into music inclusively spanning the late 1970s into the ’80s (and likely after and maybe before, but that’s outside the scope of this post), and thus will remember the Big Disco vs. Punk/New Wave Divide. We’ve heard a lot already from the more Disco side of Funk. Since i followed the latter path of that divide, thanks to reading a few days ago on Wikipedia, i learned that one of my favorite ever ever songs qualifies as avant-funk.

Also from 1980 (single; The Glitterhouse LP dropped in 1981), from the UK, Medium Medium performing Hungry, So Angry (which title suggests interesting things in a dom feedee intimate interpersonal relationship… maybe a theme song for same?)

Stereophonic high fidelity:

Monophonic, original 1980 or ’81 Cherry Red Records music video:
That's an interesting cut!

BigElectricKat

Staff member
Global Moderator
Kudos to Action Pif for that George Clinton mention......🙇

Parliament- Flashlight

Run DMC - You Talk Too Much

Hey, I keep trying to find that song where they sang about Basket ball.....was it called Basketball? A bunch of women sing Basssssssssssketballllllllllll they love that basket ballllllllll

Anyone else remember it? Link?
Here ya go!

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
🤪 Like the song, but is it funk?
I may not be qualified to answer.

However, if that qualifies, then i’m no longer holding back on this, which authoritative sources say is blues rock, but sounds like it brings the funk to me. Experts here, what say you: is it funky enough to be in this thread?

Don’t Wanna Fight — Alabama Shakes
Funkier original (audio only):

Compelling live in-studio video:

Latest posts