Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
According to wikipedia a

nerd is a person seen as overly intellectual, obsessive,
introverted
or lacking social skills.
Check check check check (almost have a bingo!).

Such a person may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, little known, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical, abstract, or relating to topics of science fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.
BINGOoooooooo! Now y’all know why in social situations (here, physical world, etc.) where conversation is supposed to be about sports or movies or television or nearly anything else lame mainstream, i have nothing.

Seriously: i’ve been working on a light sci-fi fantasy magic fatlovesex story (BBW, BHM, unusual bodies) recently. This from someone who’s so nerdy i’ve never read a word of the Harry Potter series, nor really dealt with much sci-fi.

Additionally, many so-called nerds are described as being shy, quirky, pedantic, and unattractive.
Check check check check. Wait: i already had my 5 for bingo….

So i guess all the nerds here need to pick the characteristics that fit best.
What is this “pick” of which you write? Finally after all these years of life, i’ve found the realm in which i excel, on basically every point, and now i need to pick?!

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
I have a lot of friends and family both north and south there.
Hope they’re all OK, and everyone else as much as possible.

The local fire here was (allegedly, with witnesses) set by someone living in a mountain gulley arguing with another man about possession of a bicycle, who vowed to “burn him out”.

Since this is a humor thread, i’m staying with it. State of California is considering changing its official song to Smoke Gets In Your Eyes:
Since we’re nerding and being pedantic, i’ll point out that according to Wikipedia this is the first recording of the song. Things to note on the label:

• Not Licensed for Radio Broadcast: it will not pass through an IPA (unless you pour your opened bottle of one on your speaker, and that’s on you)
  • Orchestra conducted by Frank Sinatra’s second cousin
  • VE (at the top and bottom) = Victor Electric, meaning that an electrical (we’d call it electronic) process was used rather than the former purely mechanical acoustical recording process (big horn and all that)
  • Orthophonic Recording: see above, somewhat synonymous. Also specifies an intrinsic equalization curve used during the recording (and others like it around this time) when the master record was cut. (I can deep-nerd with any of you on the subject of intrinsic equalization of analog audio sources.)

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
As an American I have the right to make up words. :D
Dang snifty! Grab some letters (or existing words), hold ’em together with duct tape, and call it coined. Really it’s an English language thing, but we Americans do have the advantage of being a formative duct tape culture.

Some changes have long-term effects. That British blockade during the revolutionary war which sent all the U s to the loyalists in Canada or kept them safely at home to this day has us spelling colour as color, flavour as flavor, etc. After all, we had to save the few native-mined U s we had for U.S.A.

I’ve heard that part of the qualification procedure for Americans applying for Canadian citizenship is being able to find the large economy size boxes or bags of U s at Costco or Giant Tiger.

Latest posts