Game of Thrones

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Cobra Verde

Lupus Dei
It's fun to go back and read the way people interpreted the much-mocked "Lord Too-Fat-To-Sit-A-Horse" before he proved to be as ruthless (and loyal) as anybody else in the last book. Pie, anyone?? :eat1:

It should be interesting to see how the show plays for me now that I've read the series. I imagine non-readers probably assume things will settle down - if only slightly - now in the wake of the Red Wedding. Haha, no.

penguin

Fnord
Guys guys guys! Please tell me you've watched S4E8. That last scene. HOLY SHIT. Episode 9 is yet again going to be a big one.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
I am not a party pooper, but I have read reviews saying GoT is treating Rape against women and children waay too litely. After watching last night's episode 6/1/2014 I tend to agree with the critics. I am not going to reveal spoilers but I will say that I have seen one too many scenes revolving around men raping women and getting away with it.

We have too much of this going on in today's world to be encouraging real life rapists to keep plying their trade. There are stories about barbaric acts in India, the Sudan, Guana, Mexico. the US, and European countries in conflict with Russia where rape seems to be a cottage industry. These guys all watch TV and get the idea loud and clear that men in one of the top rated shows rape (and kill) women and girls every week.

This is not my idea of entertainment. This is my idea of horrible crimes against half of the world's citizens. Can't the great minds that run this series find something else to put on their TV shows? They have a wealth of fantasy material to pic from and even more fantasy stories out there - let's give the rape and women killing a rest. Try to give mankind a better moral compass.

penguin

Fnord
Besides the ending, I died when Arya started laughing. Also, Sansa, welcome to the Game!
Me too! She's been through a lot, so it's a natural reaction, I think.

A friend of mine asked when Sansa had become a Sith, because she's definitely crossed over to the dark side now. I think she realises that this is her ticket out of hell.

moore2me

I have always confessed of being a horror show nut. Shows with dragons, the dark side, the walking dead, zombies, and men in cute uniforms are like catnip to me. And when women rule the roost it is even better, even if the women are crazy as s***house rats. Lord knows GoT and life in the current century are enough to bring out weirdness in marginal women who are tettering on the edge of the darkside. I definitely swing back an forth like a pedulum. But I try very hard not to kill anyone that pushes my evil queen buttons. So far in 2014, I have not drawn the blood of fish nor fowl, nor beast nor man. (Like a good redneck wife tho I have cleaned and cooked game that hubby has brought in and we both ate them for supper. The fish and birds were already dead.)

But lets not encourage some of these weak minded sicko bad boys to go GoT on the "Lady Love" of their choice. At least we can tone the show's rape frequency down a little. And make sure the GoT rapists are not given elevated statuts in the kingdoms of this little fantasy game. Do it for your daughters, your granddaughters and your wives. :mad:

I ask you, what would you do if a character on the show continually was toruturing and killing dogs or strangling kittens every week? Would you compain? Would you tell HBO that his character should be dropped from the show or killed off? Would you tell George Martin that this is in bad taste and should be written out of the script? Would you organize your friends in protest over such a horrible example of treatment of animals?

JoyJoy

It's a fictional story meant to be similar to the actual time in our history when women were of lower status or were property and human life was not of great value. The books and show depict reality of life at that time, but it's not a reality show. It doesnt glorify rape, etc, but the fact that the horrible things arent glossed over is what makes it more appealing. It's a raw, brutal, well-written story without censoring. It's not a platform for morality or a catalyst for wannabe bad boys. I'm pretty sure if you want a soap box, there are many other more pressing issues you could preach on elsewhere and leave GoT to those who appreciate it for what it is without the morality speeches.

moore2me

One of our strengths as a country is Freedom of Expression and Freedom of the Press. I thoroughly support both. I am avid fan of fiction and non-fiction and believe people should read what they want to (as long as they are old enough to handle the material - the parent's should approve juveniles). I read and listen to whatever kind of material I want to. I would want others to have that same luxury. That plus, the fact that it has upset some of my fellow women folk who I respect, I am dropping this whole campaign - putting it on the back burner and leaving it alone to see how the rest of the people handle it. I will go back to my old, crazy self, which most of you recognize.

Favorite Author - Flannery O'Connor
Favorite Story - Good Country People, Fav Character - Hulga Hopewell
Favorite Male Author - Lewis Grizzard
Fav Grizzard Book - Shoot Low Boys, They're Riding Shetland Ponies
Fav Comedian - Jerry Clower, Fav Joke "Knock Him Out John"

penguin

Fnord
While the privy scene was good, and Arya continued to be awesome, I wasn't impressed with the last two episodes. There was something lacking in them. Not enough oomph. The battle at the Wall was cool, but when the episode was over I was left with a feeling of "was that all there is?" Maybe I'll like them more if I watch them again :/

moore2me

I did like a couple of things about the last two episodes this season. I'll try to avoid spoilers. I have also sent my high horse into the pasture for a while and will not be riding him anytime in the near future (if I can control myself) - My pet causes are out to pasture for a while too.

- I loved the awesome sword fight between the two great warriors.
- The scene that resembled the fight in the movie Jason and the Argonauts between Jason and the skeletons was a refreshing nod to the great stop motion animator Ray Harryhausen.
- The Battle on the Wall showing the sacrifice of the men holding the wall was inspiring. And after the battle on the next episode, seeing more of their sacrifices it was even more inspiring.
- I believe Tyrell avenged himself.
- I think the Mother of Dragons did the right thing.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
SPOILERS
Some thoughts:

Better Jojen than Hodor because I would have lost my shit if GMMR killed off the big guy although I did like the kid. Thought his sister would bite the dust. And yes, I read all the books but the series is an adaptation. Plus GMMR has said several times to not get attached to anyone so the Hodor love has to be clandestine for now. ;)

Also thought Hodor was summoning meteorites to knock off the skeletons--yes, def Jason and the Argonauts there. Loved it.

I felt really bad for the little dragons because of their bad boy brother Drogon. They were crying for their mother, which made me tear up.

Liked the scene with the mad ex-maester. Had no sympathy for Pycelle getting thrown out of his own lab.

Varys hearing the bells and boarding the ship, looking bereft.

I wish Tyrion had spoken the 'shitting gold coins' line many of us were waiting for. I liked that he reloaded :D and the look on Varys face when he finally showed up. "What have you done??!!"

Brienne rocks. I did feel sorrier for the Hound than I thought I would, probably because he had no happy memories and begged Arya.

I got choked up when Arya handed over her coin and the captain was all, 'Oh well that's different, of course you get a cabin' and the look of joy on her face. Wonder what she did with the horse.

Disappointed Lady Stoneheart didn't appear but it's something to look forward to.

Ygritte looked beautiful (dead) and I liked that Jon Snow now knows 'something'---she loved him.

Stannis and Davos (I LOVE Davos in the show more than in the books) saving the day (and Jon) (and Mance).

So Bran is going to fly. I suppose as a Warg, which means that Jon might fly one, WITH Bran (possible theory), Dany, and who's the third? Tyrion?

Lots more thoughts but those were foremost.

Latest posts