Gaming

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Lamia

Like OMG!!
I watched a documentary tonight entitled "Gamers". It focused only on MMORPGS so in a way I feel the title should have represented that. It tried to show a balance of how gaming can be good and bad.

It mostly got me to thinking about why I like gaming and what I get out of it.

To me gaming is a much better use of time than watching TV. It's stimulating and fun. I like building my character and getting treasure. I've never really cared about being uber and dominating the game. The act of playing is what I enjoy so it never made sense to me to see people having someone level their character for them.

I had a friend who never actually played his characters he just would put them in a group to get leveled. He didn't want to play until he was at the highest level so he could dazzle everyone with this skillz...problem was he still sucked and had no idea how to play his character.

So what do you enjoy about online massive role playing games like WOW, EQ, etc?

Do you get addicted to the point where you can't function in the real world?

Dmitra

Drawing down the moonpie
You've summed up what I like about gaming, myself. I've noticed that my short term memory seems to have problems when I play too much, tho. :) I agree that it's better than TV but also enjoy watching TV while I game (especially when doing something necessary to advance that's really Really boring).

I've always liked solving puzzles and prefer games that require ability versus simple quick reflexes (twitch R'nt us). I also used to love RPGs, the little I got to play pen and paper, as well as MUD/MUSHs. With the MMORPGs I get to do a bit of everything, though roleplaying isn't really an option with so many people being involved even on RP dedicated servers. My main games have been EQ1/EQ2 but I've tried WoW, Vanguard, Guild Wars, DAOC, the ancient Sierra Online stuff, BBS games and, most recently, Wizard 101.

Powerleveling is something I actively dislike although being an altoholic it can sometimes seems appealing. I like good crafting systems as well as fighting. I don't consider myself addicted but have definitely played too often in the past, though not to the crazy, wake_up_at_3am_to_go_to_raids extreme.

Lamia

Like OMG!!
I wonder how much different women are than men when it comes to gaming and what sort of experience we want to have. I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when I finish a quest or conquer a level. I enjoy helping other people in the MMORPGs that I've played. In console gaming I like challenges and brain teasers. I also really like the social aspect of MMORPGs.

Gyrene

Buddha Belly
I miss games like Myst or the Zork series. To be honest though, since the GTA and Rockband series have hit the market, I havn't played much else, the little bit I do play. Although, my brother in law got me hooked on Battlefeild "online play" as well as Left 4 Dead 2. But I hardly play anymore ... maybe 4 to 6 hours a month. I recall there were times when I was 19 that me and friends would spend all weekend, without sleep, trying to beat Resident Evil and Tomb Raider II.

Ah, the good old days

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
I miss games like Myst or the Zork series.
If you like games like Myst, I'd highly recommend checking out some of the point and click "room escape" flash games that can be found online. Although most of them are significantly smaller and less in-depth, there's some excellent ones out there.

I personally love Lights and Vision, two games from a maker called Neutral which are high quality.

You can find more from this genre (and many, many others) at a site called Jay is Games, which does daily reviews of online games, featuring a room escape on Wednesdays and downloads on the weekends.

snuffy2000

¯\(ºдಠ)/¯
the only mmo i wanna check out is huxley OR APB.
I saw a nice little article about APB, apparently you have to pay a subscription fee, or else you get spammed with advertisements in the voice chat. That alone, just makes a game that I pay $60 for completely pointless.

Just about the only game I saw at E3 that looked like a true experience besides Twisted Metal X, was Dead Space 2.

Dead space was the only game that made me feel the same way I did when I was a kid and picked up Resident Evil for the first time, before it turned into a 3rd person Parasite Eve.

If you haven't played it yet, It's one of the highly underrated games I would recommend if you want a gripping story that keeps you playing just to satiate your curiousity about what could go wrong next. It just has the ability to keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time. That's an accomplishment for EA, considering their reputation in the industry nowadays, let alone the countless shovelware games that are being produced.

Another one I'm looking out for is Mortal Kombat 11. Ed Boon totally went throwback fanservice, updating everything we loved about the first three, adding more elements to the 2D side scrolling fighter and refining it to an exciting looking installment. /excited

Don't mean to sound like I'm writing a game review, but, when it comes to gaming, I just have ALOT to talk about lol.

On a side note, Just think of gaming this way: Some people like to sit in the passenger seat and watch the movie, and some want to experience it first hand, with all the challenges that come with it.

In essence, games are media art, and there's only a handful of Picassos and Van Goghs.

Latest posts