General Anxiety Thread

Discussion in 'Health Forum' started by loopytheone, May 23, 2014.

1. Mar 18, 2019 #41

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Anyone have advice on helping someone with anxiety get through university? My son is kind of spiraling -- distracting himself from academics so as not to stress out about it, then not doing well, then stressing more because of that so avoiding thinking about it harder .... (Plus has non-verbal learning disorder, which essentially means he only works well with what he can express in words/logically, and isn't very self-aware of his own state or generally good at picking things up intuitively (which adds stress when dealing with people ..)

At this point trying to keep him from complete flame out this term (today he panicked and dropped one class after seeing he had 49% on the first quizz). We are trying to get him to talk with someone professional, but that takes time to get arranged. In the meantime any advice about how to talk about such things in ways that may penetrate/be absorbed?

2. Mar 19, 2019 #42

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

I think a Mala Mantra type of meditation might help with the anxiety. You can google and see videos and how to explaination. I’m a fan of the traditional Buddhist mantras. For me it is a combination of the physical manipulation of the mala, the complexity of the spoken mantra and the focusing of the meaning, it takes all of my brainpower and actually gives me a break. I’ve taught several people this method and it has done a good job in lowering anxiety. Sort of stops the freak out in real time. Most mantra cycles can be done in 8-15 minutes. My favorite

Tad likes this.
  3. Mar 19, 2019 #43

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

He should try to find a peer support group for anxiety, where he lives most of the time. I've found that the peer support model works well.

Exam strategy might be helpful. He could make a revision plan. Part of this should be to work out a timetable for revision and stick to it. He might need someone to make sure that he sticks to it. His mother or someone in an anxiety peer support group could do that. He should plan to do the most important parts of his revision first, i.e. the parts that gain most marks or the ones on which he is weak at but needs to pass the exam. Then, if he just runs out of time, it's not a major disaster. (When helping Sanskrit students plan for an exam recently, I put into there plan to learn the present tense endings before the past tense endings, because the present tense endings are used for the future as well. So, the present tense endings give you twice the number of verb forms and hence twice the marks as the past tense does.) The second part of exam strategy is to use all of the available time. Don't rush out as soon as you've finished answering the questions. If there is time left, check the answers. Look for silly mistakes. Double check everything that you know your not so good at. If there is still time left, put the exam paper and your answers, face down and think about anything but the exam. This is a good time for mantras, meditation, etc. Just before the time runs out, check your answers again. It's surprising how many mistakes you notice, when you look at your answers the second time, with a fresh mind from taking a break.

I hope that this helps.

4. Mar 21, 2019 #44

Shh! Don’t tell!

Shh! Don’t tell!

Shh! Don’t tell!

Gotta vent a little:

I’m a little stressed out from being busy and my OCD suddenly decided that the little rash on my arm is because everything around me is covered in flesh eating acid. Fabulous. Just what I wanted right now.

5. Mar 30, 2019 #45

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

I've been having a lot of panic attacks lately. Especially while sleeping. I'll wake up to the start of a full blown panic attack.

My primary care provider feels that it's related to perimenopause. Maybe, but it's still getting really old.

AmyJo1976 likes this.
  6. Mar 30, 2019 #46

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

FFA for life!

I've had that happen a few times lately as well. Mostly if I dose off on the couch. I'll wake up to my heart racing and be really hot. It has happened while driving once too. I was on a curvy road and started to feel panic. I had to pull over until it passed. I am definitely going to have to see the doctor about it. Happening while driving is really scary!

7. Mar 30, 2019 #47

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

My panic attacks have happened at the worst times. I was on a work trip and a bunch of us were stuffed in a rental car about to go through the tunnels to get to downtown Pittsburgh. My boss was in the car along with two clients. When I saw the tunnels I began to sweat, hyperventilate, and got this feeling like I wanted to remove all of my skin. I made them pull the car over to the side of the road and I got out of the car. I then spent the next hour sitting on the side of the road refusing to get in the car. The Dr had already prescribed Xanax for me which I took when things got bad. It took like three times my normal dosage to get me loopy enough to get back into the car. Yay for embarrassing myself in front of everyone!

AmyJo1976 likes this.