Gentlemen, Post An Awesome Pic Of Yourselves

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

fat hiker

But a proper sauna is dry!
Oh goodness no! Bless my Finnish cousins, a proper sauna always has an option to throw water on the hot rocks and drive the temperature upwards!

The Finns invented the sauna, and they should know. A dry sauna is ok, but once you've felt the rush that comes when from pouring a cup or two of water over the heating rocks, you'll never find a dry sauna completely satisfactory ever again.

In Finland, every home has a sauna, and most apartments and condos do too.

https://finland.fi/life-society/bare-facts-of-the-sauna/

Tad

mostly harmless
Ok, we were using different meanings for wet and dry. Agreed about the rocks to throw water on. But a sauna is different from a steam room!

(When my great grandparents homesteaded up near Sudbury the first thing they built was the sauna -- and my aunt still makes regular use of it, still lit at night only by the oil lamp in the changing area, and the circular thermometer that faded into unreadability decades ago so I only no my sauna temperatures by what "o'clock" position the needle is in.)

fat hiker

Ok, we were using different meanings for wet and dry. Agreed about the rocks to throw water on. But a sauna is different from a steam room!

(When my great grandparents homesteaded up near Sudbury the first thing they built was the sauna -- and my aunt still makes regular use of it, still lit at night only by the oil lamp in the changing area, and the circular thermometer that faded into unreadability decades ago so I only no my sauna temperatures by what "o'clock" position the needle is in.)
Absolutely. A sauna is definitely not a steam room. For one thing, saunas almost never grow mold, while steam rooms suffer from mold (to which I am allergic, so I avoid). And a sauna, with the water on the heating rocks, achieves temperatures, safely, that a steam room could never touch.

Even the Finnish cousins' summer cottages had saunas - no showers, no bathtubs, but a sauna by the dock on the lake!

Last edited:

fat hiker

Were your great-grandparents Finnish, Tad? Or from one of the surrounding countries, like Karelia or Sweden or Estonia?

Tad

mostly harmless
Yes, Finnish (well, I think they were from Karelia,long since siezed by Russia, but they were Finns (as were many of the families settled nearby)