Getting Healthy?

Discussion in 'Weight Board' started by Fatcules71, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Jul 6, 2019 #1

Fatcules71

Fatcules71

Fatcules71

Has anyone noticed that "getting healthy" from a plus size blogger or someone with an Instagram presence is really code for weight loss? In my opinion, it is a way for that person to attempt to protect or insulate themselves from potential backlash.

A person has the right to do whatever they want as long as it does not harm someone else. But when that person gathers a following, makes money and a living and gathers followers from being plus size and then decides they want to lose weight but not their following, they appear to want their cake and eat it too (no pun intended).

I am bothered by activists, bloggers, models and the like passing themselves off as proud and happy when selling their products or themselves to a marginalized community and then continuing to peddle to that community when they no longer want to be part of that community. I do not believe it is fair to continue to benefit from a group you have turned you back on; and I think claiming to "get healthy" is a way to make it more palatable for the loyal follower who believe you were proud and happy.

Again, it is the individuals' right to do with their life and body what they will but separate yourself from those who followed you because you gave them hope, pride, a voice, acceptance and an advocate. Posting pictures and quotes about acceptance, tolerance and loving yourself and then posting before and after pictures is like claiming to care about the environment but then dumping your trash out on the side of the road.

ravfa and sarahe543 like this.
  2. Jul 7, 2019 #2

sarahe543

sarahe543

sarahe543

I agree. Many people dont really embrace the health at every size mantra. If I dislike the messages someone's putting out I'll unfollow them simple as that.

Sidhuriel likes this.
  3. Jul 8, 2019 #3

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

Yeah, I find the healthy = thin message to be really dumb as well.

sarahe543 and Sidhuriel like this.
  4. Jul 8, 2019 #4

Sidhuriel

Sidhuriel

Sidhuriel

Cooking Queen

Indeed!

I am fat and healthy. I don't have metabolic syndrome, or any other supposedly 'fat people illness' (we know it's not fair to say it only affects fat people). Fat people come in all kinds just like thin people, healthy and not healthy. Both are fine and can exist if we only let them in peace.

I really hate how people who are not sick but overweight say they are getting healthy when it's just code for weight loss. Weight loss doesn't insure or guarantee health in any way. Diet culture sucks.

sarahe543 and loopytheone like this.
  5. Jul 8, 2019 #5

agouderia

agouderia

agouderia

Library Girl Staff Member Library Mod

Since it has become socially inacceptable to shame people based only on their appearance, "unhealthy" for fat people has turned into the new stigma. Often paired with "irresponsible" insinuating that fat people are a strain on health care systems.

This is nothing more than a negative moral value judgement intending to put down a certain group of people - while making the person expressing the judgement feel better about themselves.

How come nobody talks about the resurgence of osteoporosis among younger women because they starve themselves t0 very low weights with the side-effect of lowering estrogen levels thus impairing bone health? Or the fact that 20% of all anorexia sufferers die within 5 years of diagnosis, after spending a large portion of this time in costly health care?

6. Jul 8, 2019 #6

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Are you intelligent? Staff Member Global Moderator

Wait. Let me get this straight so that I'm not barking up the wrong tree. Are you saying that because someone decided to get what they deem "healthy", they should no longer be followed by the segment of society that they belong to?
    Are you saying that a person who may or may not have a real and life threatening condition/illness can't decide to shed weight for fear of their health and still be an advocate of body positivism/acceptance?
    Are you saying that someone who has been judged because of their size, has carried the stigma of being called all kinds of names, ridiculed, and shunned due to their size cannot change their body type for fear that others will judge them again and now should be cast out because they don't look the same anymore?
    Are you saying that our brothers and sisters who have walked the walk and talked the talk with us are not still worthy of your love, compassion, and support just because they had the incentive (be it a medical condition or otherwise) to get themselves right?
    Are you saying that because someone has lost weight for whatever reason is no longer "in the club"?
    Are you suggesting that a person such as this should be prejudiced against for the crime of continuing to promote fat acceptance and body positivity because they themselves lost weight?
    Are you saying that this person who has influence in the community doesn't still add value to the community because they no longer "look" the part?
    So, a person's worth to the community, to the movement is tied only to their size and not their character, their history, their struggles, their experiences?
    I'm just wondering so I have this right.

fat hiker and sarahe543 like this.
  7. Jul 8, 2019 #7

sarahe543

sarahe543

sarahe543

My ex was 350lb 5 foot 9 tall. He had PERFECT blood results for everything. The nurse was really annoyed, she wanted to tell him she was unhealthy.
    I felt quite proud at the time!

snazzy, fat hiker and Sidhuriel like this.
  8. Jul 8, 2019 #8

sarahe543

sarahe543

sarahe543

Fair point @BigElectricKat IF they have health issues its different to using the phrase 'get healthy ' as shorthand for weight loss.

9. Jul 8, 2019 #9

Sidhuriel

Sidhuriel

Sidhuriel

Cooking Queen

I get this too all the time. I have a chronic illness that's under control (Ulcerative colitis) and they keep wanting to pin diabetes on me and test me everytime only to come back frowning and saying 'your test results are perfect but we still recommend weight loss to keep it that way!' ..sigh

fat hiker and sarahe543 like this.
  10. Jul 8, 2019 #10

Fatcules71

Fatcules71

Fatcules71

You are barking up the wrong tree. I am simply asking for honesty. If that person has decided to lose weight then call it losing weight. The term "getting healthy" appears too often to be code for a decision to lose weight but be politically correct about it to the community.

This is the trick of the diet industry. Join Nutra System, WW, Jenny Craig, Quick Weight Loss and get healthy.

In a world that still does not understand my attraction to a BBW/SSBBW these pages give me a sense of belonging. I follow those Instagram pages because I appreciate the pride, happiness and acceptance they exude in their blogs and photos.

When someone with such apparent plus size pride and 100k + followers all of sudden wants to "get healthy" and begins to push weight loss products on those followers, it gives me pause.

11. Jul 8, 2019 #11

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Are you intelligent? Staff Member Global Moderator

Great. You don't like it if someone says they're getting healthy. It seems to be a absurd point of contention but to each his own. Not sure why you feel the need to condemn the person. Just stop following them and press on.

'Nuff said.

Funtastic curves and fat hiker like this.