Getting Too Fat For Your Car

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by Fatfanplus, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1

Fatfanplus

Fatfanplus

Fatfanplus

Hi.
    Here's a question for some of you big people.
    I bought my Hyundai Accent 2 years ago when I was 250 pounds.
    Great car, with great mileage, and it runs well.
    I am now 410 pounds and getting in and out of the car is harder at this size.
    It will continue to be hard as I grow.
    I'd like to know what kind of vehicles some of the supersized people here drive.
    I'd prefer to stick with Hyundai, and just trade in my current vehicle from the same dealer, but I'm willing to look at other brands too.

Thanks!
    :)

2. Mar 3, 2013 #2

moore2me

moore2me

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank

If you want to keep your car, you might see if a body shop can move the driver's seat back a little and re-bolt it to the frame. (However, this may revoke any safety warranty in case of a collision or may cause problems if you trade it in. And, it may require further modifications for you to safely reach the foot controls.)

If the seat is too far back to safely reach the pedals, you can add a temporary set of hand controls that will allow you to work the brakes (like a motorcycle does.) I used these a few years and they work pretty good.

I have also had several cars that fit pretty good without modifications - the Chev Malibu, the Chev Acadia or a used Saturn Outlook, the Toyota Sienna or a Ford Tarus. (My wt has varied, but at times was up to 450 lbs.)

3. Mar 3, 2013 #3

CaAggieGirl

CaAggieGirl

CaAggieGirl

If you only knew

I think it depends on your shape. I drive a Chrysler 300, but at 440lbs, if I was a pear, I probably wouldn't fit. It is also kind of low to the ground so it may also be hard for some to get out of it.

4. Mar 3, 2013 #4

musicman

musicman

musicman

I hate fat-haters!

The front seats on (almost) any car can be moved back simply by removing the rails which the seats already slide on, and replacing them with longer rails. The seat can still be moved up to its "normal" position for average-sized drivers. The only thing that varies from car to car is how far the rails can be extended. (This is information I've gotten from people who do this for a living.)

If you want to inquire about this for your car, find a place that does van modifications, or vehicle mods for handicapped drivers. Moving the seats is easy compared to a lot of what they do. Over the years, I've had this done on several different cars to accomodate my wife, who is 500+. There is no warranty violation if it's done properly, nor does it affect the car's safety or its resale. Most of the time, it cannot even be detected by the average person. My wife is a shrewd negotiator, and has even gotten dealers to pay the cost of moving the seats on some cars we've bought. The dealers, however, would not do the actual work. We had to go to a van modification place.

If you have trouble reaching the pedals with the seat moved back, the modification people can put on pedal extenders. These are blocks of aluminum (or something similar) that can be clamped onto the front surfaces of the pedals in less than five minutes. They do not damage the pedals at all, and can easily be removed later for resale.

5. Mar 3, 2013 #5

Fatfanplus

Fatfanplus

Fatfanplus

Thanks! Great advice!!!

6. Mar 3, 2013 #6

Iannathedriveress

Iannathedriveress

Iannathedriveress

Random Heroine

I used to have a Hyundai Accent, now I got a Mercury Mariner because the Accent became a money pit for me.

7. Mar 4, 2013 #7

Jah

Jah

Jah

Veggie girl

https://www.facebook.com/candice.brown.71404,
    Unfortunately I drive a holden barina, which is a small car and barely fits me. I would love a bigger car but can only afford a barina because it's cheap and very fuel efficent.

8. Mar 4, 2013 #8

ampleampleample

ampleampleample

ampleampleample

Dodge/Chrysler Caravans

9. Mar 4, 2013 #9

f0nzw0rth

f0nzw0rth

f0nzw0rth

Ford F150 Lightning...plenty of room and im 6'2 375

10. Mar 4, 2013 #10

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

Lots of room yes -- but terrible reliability record -- OK as a used vehicle so long as price reflects this models overall poor quality (i.e. good car if you get it real cheap).

11. Mar 4, 2013 #11

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

I fit in my old 87 F150 (6'4" 305lbs) but it didn't have as much leg room as you'd expect and there wasn't that much steering wheel clearance (my wife had to move the seat up to reach the pedals and her belly squished the steering wheel.)

The truck went out in a blaze of glory (literally) in 2009 on Highway 99.

12. Mar 5, 2013 #12

Wayne_Zitkus

Wayne_Zitkus

Wayne_Zitkus

Proud FA Since 1962

Most vehicles have consoles nowadays, and very few have bench seats. We have a 2007 Chevy Colorado extended cab pickup with front buckets - I took out the console to give Sandie more room. I'll just put it back in at trade-in time.

13. Mar 5, 2013 #13

spydermonk

spydermonk

spydermonk

I recently purchased a 2003 ford f150. Krystal loves my new truck becpedaause it has push-button pedal adjustment right next to the steering wheel. I am about one foot taller than her so I keep the seat pretty far back. This way she doesn't need to move the seat at all when she drives my truck, she needs only to press a button and the pedals come to her. The only downfall is that the truck rides very high off the ground and I had to install running boards for her to use as a step.

14. Mar 5, 2013 #14

danbsc29630

danbsc29630

danbsc29630

Hyundai Equis

15. Mar 7, 2013 #15

Myn

Myn

Myn

I'm in the market for a car in the very near future, and dreading the thought of having to shlep around to dealerships and start out with "will I fit?" This thread is a godsend in terms of what to look for.

Any other suggestions for a very very pear shape?

16. Mar 7, 2013 #16

VivaLaValerie

VivaLaValerie

VivaLaValerie

Myn, I'm with you as well. I was just thinking about this topic the other night because we are also in the market for a new car.

We were planning on buying more of a luxury vehicle. However, I have noticed in many of them the seats are smaller and the center console takes up way more room than they should! My issue(s) is also being tall (5'10") long legs so some cars are too low, I'm about 450+ and very bottom heavy so, my knee hits the steering column when I drive (it's also hard to get in and out).

So far the only thing I was happy with was the Nissan Titan but I don't care for the gas mileage and as I stated we are in the market for a luxury vehicle. I HATE car shopping!

17. Mar 7, 2013 #17

Alan

Alan

Alan

Valerie,
    I would suggest you consider getting a lincoln towncar. One of my vehicles is a Town car and I am quite comfortable, even on long trips, at 6'3" tall. Secondly, I have had several BBW/SSBBWs in it(Not all at once...lol), and all were comfy and had no issues(except, MAYBE, with the driver..:D)...and yes, they were mostly pears, like you, just not quite your beautiful size. I would not think of picking-up a large woman without proper consideration for her. You may want to talk to BBWRayne, as she has a town car and she is about your size. I also get around 25 miles/gallon on the highway, fully loaded, even with alot of "junk in the trunk"(no pun intended). You also would probably not want a vehicle that sets too low to the ground, as it would be encumbersome to get out of with your Huge derriere. The only downside that I can see to the town car, is they quit producing it about 2 years ago, but it was always on Consumer Report's approval list. I would suggest, if interested, purchasing one from an older person, as in that segment of the market, usually they take proper care with maintenance and are generally garaged, or perhaps you feel more secure with a warranty, which your local dealer would be glad to jack you up, but please be advised that most of what is covered, will never happen within the warranty period...read it carefully, and decide for yourself)....hope this helps in your search, let me know how things turn out.

P.S. I love your avater...great profile shot.
    If you still have your site, and while we are on the subject, maybe it's time to do a "too big for the car" pic-set and vid.

18. Mar 7, 2013 #18

musicman

musicman

musicman

I hate fat-haters!

Yes, if you need a lot of hip room, you may have to go with a discontinued model. My wife is also a supersized pear, not as tall as you, Valerie, but heavier, so we know all about the problems of small seats and center consoles. (Also see my post above on getting the seats moved back.)

If you can figure out what you want, but can't find it locally, you can ask a local dealer to watch for trade-ins nationwide. A good salesman will watch the lists and get back to you. We have bought two large discontinued Cadillacs this way. The dealer had them shipped for free, and required no deposit or commitment to buy on our part. We were told they were owned by "little old ladies in Florida who only drove them to church". Whether that was true or not, they were in beautiful condition. They also shipped a third car, which we rejected because it was owned by a smoker, and it reeked.

Please let us know what kind of car you eventually get. My wife will probably need a new one in a few years.

19. Mar 10, 2013 #19

BBW Betty

BBW Betty

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw

Due to damage to my Chevy Lumina, I had to shop for a new car. I'm short, at 5'3" and a bit over 400 lbs. Car shopping was a real pain in the hinder b/c nothing would fit said hinder. A Dodge Caravan came close, with the console removed, but the seat was squashed up against the door. The Chevy Colorado w/ bench seat also came close, but the seat belt buckle was very rigid and jabbed me uncomfortably.

We struck gold finding a used Chevy Traverse. It also has a large console, but the seats are very roomy. The only drawback is the fuel inefficiency. For the size of the vehicle it's not that bad (and we do have occasions to use the cargo room), but we do go through the gasoline.

20. Mar 18, 2013 #20

Big Beautiful Dreamer

Big Beautiful Dreamer

Big Beautiful Dreamer

ridiculously contented

One of our favorite people drives a Hyundai Santa Fe that he has enjoyed for several years, though he's apple-shaped. Their son is a little more pear shaped and doesn't have any trouble. It's a very smooth ride.