Got fat shamed by my dad. (And random vent)

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Angelette

I apologize if this might be the wrong place to post this vent.

I'm not going to go into details because it's personal. But to sum it up, my dad days ago implied my body was unacttractive. He then later tried to cover up his opinion by saying my breasts were attractive. The whole conversation made me uncomfortable. I'm unsure if this is considered sexual harassment or not. My siblings (who are minor age) were even there.

Anyways, I wanted to let this out. I am sorry if I ruined anyone's day. I had no one to talk to because I'm on a 3 month break from social media. I really want to stay away from my unhinged dad not only because of the incident, but he also messes up my mental health. He one time kicked down my door because I accidentally gave away his cinnamon roll to my sister. He never had anger issues until during my teen years.

I unfortunately don't have enough money to move out. Houses in America are expensive. My job isn't very stable either. Getting laid off this week. My only hope is waiting for a spot for a better paying position and someday working at a different job.

Hope you guys have a wonderful day and stay safe.

I'm really sorry that your dad said something to you that would have no doubt cut deeply. Um, his reparative comment about your breasts meeting with his approval is inappropriate, and I feel it does dance around sexual harassment. I didn't have a father growing up, but I'm pretty sure that's not the kind of thing that you're supposed to hear from one.

On the whole it doesn't sound like a healthy environment, so I'm also sorry that you're in a bind as far as your living situation.

Oh, and there's no need to apologise for your post. Sometimes it's good to vent, and thus to feel heard.

For what it's worth, I'm sending you virtual hugs, Angelette. 🤗

Last edited:

Donna

Lips & hips & ass & sass
Never, ever, apologize for expressing your feelings! :)

Your father's comments about your body are highly inappropriate in my opinion. The door kicking incident sounds like straight up abuse. As LFW mentioned, it doesn't sound like your home is a healthy environment for you. My knee jerk reaction is to say get out, but I see that it might not be an option for you.

With the cost of everything, but especially housing, being so high and wages being so low, I often worry about the younger generation. Do you have relatives with whom you could stay until you get your employment situation settled and are able to save enough for deposits and moving costs? Maybe a close friend/their family? Do you attend church, or university, or participate in any civic or social organizations? You might reach out for help from the folks at one of those places. If not, you might have to just do what you 'gotta' do until you are able to move out.

One thing you need to do, no matter where you live, is to set boundaries. It's not easy, but you will want to put in the extra effort to protect your mental health. Talk to a professional about the emotional/verbal abuse. If his abuse turns physical, contact the authorities. Depending on where you live, there are victim's services available for survivors of domestic abuse. You might be surprised at the resources you can find using Google.

I hate that you have to endure this. Body shaming is so difficult to deal with when it comes from family, friends or acquaintances. So many times, it's wrapped up in a veneer of "concern". If I had a nickel for every time someone I loved/cared about shamed me while saying, "I'm just worried about you because I care," I would never have to worry about paying bills again. Stay strong, and when you don't feel strong, don't be afraid to vent and/or reach out for help.

tracii 4591

I am so sorry you had to endure that. What he said was not appropriate at all.
My Mom has to mention my weight every time I visit which is twice a week to help my Dad with his mechanic jobs.
She is brutal and I do let her know what she says is mean and hurtful sometimes.
It goes in one ear and out the other ear. She reminds me of Archie Bunker from all in the family TV show.
Not racist just insensitive and rude.

As a father with daughters, I'd never comment on my daughter's breasts! Any father that would see anything other than the little girl he brought home from the hospital has issues. My daughter has kids and I still see her as my baby girl and would smoke the first person that insulted her. You deserve better

@Angelette You've done the right thing in starting a thread to talk about such things. I hope that you get support from it and some constructive ideas about getting out of your present situation. The more you talking with sympathetic people, the more likely you are to find a friend, who can offer practical help, e.g. a room that you can rent.

extra_m13

this is precisely the place to express and to vent... i am sure you arebeautiful and there are always places to celebrate curves. thanks for being here.

Angelette

It's been a while since I logged on here! Thank you all for the kind support and advice.

I'm going to look at the job postings board weekly and maybe I will find ways to make extra money on the side. Such as selling creations. It's going to take a while. Eventually I will seek to an online therapist.

Latest posts