Gotta get this off my chest!

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by BigElectricKat, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Jan 28, 2019 #1

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Loves a challenge! Staff Member Global Moderator

Something happened to me on the train this past Friday and I'm not sure if I handled it correctly.

I get on the train right here where I work (takes me a minute to get to my desk after getting off the train). The platform where I get on is basically in the middle of our medical complex that is co-located with a university school of medicine. Of course, there are dozens of people who work for the hospital or the school that get on when I do to go home each day.

One gal is a very tall (I'm guessing 6'3") BBW who has such a youthful face with freckles (I LOVE freckles) and a smooth, sorta deep voice that reminds me of warm honey. Anyway, a few of us are regular riders and usually stand near the door when the train is full and sometimes when weird things go on during the train ride we talk about it or other things. So, I've learned that she used to live in Florida and that she works for the university. Normally, she is happy and smiling. But Friday was different.

On Friday, she didn't seem right and kept her head down mostly and didn't chime in when one of the other regulars made a comment about a rather aggressive panhandler that came through the car at an early stop.
    At the next stop, I took the opportunity to move closer to her as more people boarded the train. I whispered, "Is everything alright", to which she replied "No". She looked so sad as tears welled up within her brown eyes. She said that there was this guy she has a crush on that works down the hall from her. Every day she stops by and talks to her friend who sits across from this guy and sometimes he'll talk to them both. But that day as she was coming up the hall she overheard him tell the other gal "She's too big" and it crushed her spirit. She was lamenting her size and felt if she were thinner, she'd have a chance with him. She said that she wanted to lose weight and was thinking of looking into WLS.

I told her to think long and hard about something like that. Does she want to possibly date a guy for whom she has to be a certain size, shape, or way. Or should she hold out for someone who accepts her the was she is, no matter what that may be. I said, if you'd already been thinking about WLS and this is a catalyst to move you forward, then by all means do what you feel is best for you. She thanked me for listening to her and got off at her stop. This isn't the bad part though.

After the young lady got off, a woman who was sitting a couple seats away started to admonish me for what I said! She told me that I should have pushed her to accept her body as it is. That all bodies are beautiful and that being thin is not the end-all-be-all for every woman. I thought to myself, "Who asked you?" But I just nodded and moved to another section of the car. The fighter in me wanted to let loose with both barrels but the gentleman in me kept my verbal six-guns in their holsters. :mad:

Was I wrong to basically tell this young lady to do what she wants to but for the right reasons? Or should I have jumped on my body positive soapbox?

2. Jan 28, 2019 #2

Unbasher

Unbasher

Unbasher

Cat,

a) Is your friend certain they were talking about her?

b) You told her to do what she feels was best for her, which is always the best advice in my opinion. If you tell people what to do, they might hold you responsible for the consequences ("But you told me...!").

I think you did a really nice thing asking her if she was OK. Many people wouldn't have said anything at all.

Funtastic curves, Am Jim, Tad and 3 others like this.
  3. Jan 28, 2019 #3

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Yes, she's certain. Her friend there apologized about the whole thing. She was thinking that she was doing her a favor by asking the guy what he thought of her. he said that she was nice but too big which I find to be far from reality. But again, words like big, small, fast, slow are all subjective.

Sometimes it's hard for me to see someone who is usually smiling to be sad.

AmyJo1976 likes this.
  4. Jan 28, 2019 #4

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

SSBBW & FFA

I think you did the right thing. In the end adults are going to make their own choices anyways. It is had to see someone you know be rejected or hurt, but that's all part of life and the real world.

LifelongFA, Tad and BigElectricKat like this.
  5. Jan 28, 2019 #5

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Thanks, Unbasher.

6. Jan 28, 2019 #6

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

True enough, AJ. Rejection is something we all have to deal with.

LifelongFA and AmyJo1976 like this.
  7. Jan 28, 2019 #7

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

I think that you did the right thing too.
    You know your acquaintance better than that stranger. So you knew how to talk to her better than someone else.
    And if that stranger felt that strongly she should have spoke her mind at that moment. And not waited until after the woman in question was gone.
    It sounds like she appreciated your kind words. Sometimes when we are down we just need someone to listen. And that in itself was the very best thing that you could have ever done.
    So don't second guess yourself.

I also want to congratulate you for not "letting loose with both barrels ". When people do that emotions run high and we say things that we don't mean. You had friends and coworkers there that could have taken nasty words and turned them around and gotten back to your friend in a bad way.

Tad and BigElectricKat like this.
  8. Jan 28, 2019 #8

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

Everybody is entitled to there opinion on such things. You are entitled to give advice as you feel free, and if you do so in public, other people are entitled to critique or disagree with that advice. You did the right thing by leaving it at that and not responding, though.

Starling, Tad and BigElectricKat like this.
  9. Jan 28, 2019 #9

Starling

Starling

Starling

I think you did the right thing as well. While I’m not a BBW, I can attest that it’s annoying as all get out if I talk about working out more, drinking less, or doing anything that’s generally better for my wellbeing - only to get cut off by someone going “Oh my God NO never make any changes to yourself if you want to be considered body positive”.

I can imagine it’s infinitely more frustrating for BBWs, so I’m sure she appreciated you respecting her enough to let her make her own decisions about *her* body.

10. Jan 28, 2019 #10

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

It would be highly hypocritical of me to suggest she not change herself if she wants to. I am constantly lamenting my own body on a daily basis.

Starling and Tad like this.
  11. Jan 29, 2019 #11

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

You were supporting the person in a time when she was feeling down. Going on a rant about bo-po would not have been great. You read your audience correctly. As for the person that yelled at you, she was inappropriate...... but part of me wants to say go get it lady and spread the gospel.

12. Jan 29, 2019 #12

LarryTheNoodleGuy

LarryTheNoodleGuy

LarryTheNoodleGuy

You were right to try and comfort that person. And right to walk away from the dressing-down someone attempted to deliver you.

BigElectricKat likes this.
  13. Jan 30, 2019 #13

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Multiple issues in there, and personally I think you dealt with them as well as likely could be done, and I think you hit the right notes with the first woman and were right not to engage with the second.

Hopefully you'll grt a chance to talk to her in the near future and see how she is doing.

14. Feb 6, 2019 #14

Am Jim

Am Jim

Am Jim

I think you did the correct thing. I feel so bad for this gal.

15. Feb 6, 2019 #15

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Just an update:
    I haven't seen her in a while now, which is unusual. I'm not sure if she quit her job, changed departments, or changed shifts. I look for her when I'm out and about on campus but I'm not trying to be a stalker and look deeper. I don't know where she works, just that she works for the university. I hope that she's okay.

LoveDDD and happily_married like this.
  16. Feb 6, 2019 #16

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!

Bummer. Maybe she’s just sick.

I echo those who’ve said you did the right thing. Asking if she’s okay and then ignoring the unsolicited advice from someone who didn’t see fit to speak up but thought it okay to critique your response was probably the best move.

Tad likes this.
  17. Feb 18, 2019 #17

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Another update:

I finally saw the young lady on Friday. I didn't think that she would speak to me. She sat a few rows behind me so I couldn't see her at first. But after a little bit and some people got off, she came and sat in the seat directly behind me and tapped me on the shoulder. She had changed her hours for a couple weeks and said she didn't see me on the train. She was grateful that I spoke with her that one day and that she thought about what I said. Basically, almost all of her friends and family said the same thing I said. So, all is good with her.

18. Mar 12, 2019 #18

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

My hero

19. Mar 12, 2019 #19

Funtastic curves

Funtastic curves

Funtastic curves

I know I'm late in responding but I love the approach you took in comforting the young lady.

That's Great new that you saw her again.

20. Apr 7, 2019 #20

Killexia

Killexia

Killexia

That other lady who admonished you should mind her own business. I'm glad it all worked out and the young lady thanked you. That is really nice. :) Btw, I think you did the right thing.