Grilled Cheese, Please!!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
I searched for a Grilled Cheese Sandwiches thread but couldn't find one, so feel free to re-direct this if there is one.

Love me some grilled cheese!!! What are you favorite ways to make it?? Add-ins?? Favorite cheese?? Favorite bread??

Cors

Delurking
Wholemeal or seeded bread, sliced cheddar or Swiss cheese (though I sometimes crave the processed kind), herbs, pepper, spices depending on my mood. I love it with tomato soup!

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

It's really good with sour dough bread, buttered on one side to grill...with mozzarella cheese and pasta sauce to dip in:) mmmmmm

Miss Vickie

I'm a grilled cheese lover -- especially on cold winter days. I make mine with whole wheat or a similar kind of healthy bread. I butter both sides, and use sharp cheddar cheese. I make it in my cast iron pan, and I like the bread really dark, just *this* side of burned, and the cheese really gooey.

Add in's? Not too many, but if I want extra protein, I'll add a layer of tuna salad between the layers of cheese. It's very good.

Oh and it's even better dipped in tomato soup!

AK_the_FA

Stay thirsty, my friends.
I make mine on wheat with American cheese (cuz it's what's in the fridge), and my personal favorite is a thinly sliced tomato in the center. I like the idea of tuna salad too :)

-AK the FA

Gingembre

radar detector
Mmmm grilled cheese!
I like mine with fairly strong cheddar cheese on wholemeal bread...or on crumpets. No butter, and some tomato ketchup to dip it in. Sometimes I'll add a layer of marmite under the cheese, or some sliced tomato on top of the cheese....nom nom nom. :D

shinyapple

crunchy in milk
Mmmm...grilled cheese! I like mine on sourdough, buttered bread, with sharp cheddar or even colby jack.

A restaurant here made me a fan by having a grilled cheese of the day. It changes and is always something yummy. Past favorites have been goat cheese with lavender honey, cambazola with sliced green apples, or Brie with anything they combine it with.

Esther

Queen Black Acid
I make the best grilled cheese. Ever. Hands down. (Actually I don't know that for sure.... but it's definitely tasty!)

I like to use any kind of fresh bakery bread (NO WONDERBREAD). Layer swiss and cheddar cheese in the middle. Butter the outside of the bread and press it in parmesan cheese. When it cooks, it gets this delicious golden crust!

supersoup

Nice to meet you beanbag.
i like mine with any sort of soft bread, like sour dough, white, potato...and any cheese on hand in the middle, extra sharp cheddar is my ideal, and i don't butter the outside of the bread, i use mayo. SO GOOD.

MisticalMisty

i like mine with any sort of soft bread, like sour dough, white, potato...and any cheese on hand in the middle, extra sharp cheddar is my ideal, and i don't butter the outside of the bread, i use mayo. SO GOOD.
Soup for the win!!!

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
My husband thinks i'm insane that i used mayo for the outside of a sandwich. I don't use the real kind, i use vegan mayo but it was delish!

My favorite grilled sandwich hmm. i think it's a tie:
Sourdough with mozzerella and provolone with thinly sliced tomato and a few leaves of basil.. mmmmmmm
the second is potato bread with medium cheddar and tofurky. I love it!

smithnwesson

Drug dealer
French or Italian bread from the local bakery, some first class Cheddar (like Cabot's Extra Sharp), a little mayonnaise with it inside. Grill it with butter on the outside.

This doesn't suck. :eat2:

- Jim

SuperMishe

Single. Wanna mingle?
If you're a grilled cheese fan, is there really a grilled cheese you won't eat? LOL!
I like it all - soft bread, hard bread, american, cheddar, butter, mayo - whatever - just as long as it's hot and crispy! Mmmmm! :eat2:

Chef

Galloping Gourmet
I don't know if its been already posted, but getting the cheese out ahead of time to come up to room temperature helps the cheese melt faster without burning your bread. of course, if you prefer it that way...

I've used miracle whip on the OUTSIDE. However, using too much will burn rather than toast the bread. And it does a number on the cooking surface too, unlike butter where you can make sandwich after sandwich.. after making a couple whip grilled cheese, you have to re-treat the pan before continuing.

I'm not a bread purist.. I think Wonder or 7 grain whole wheat -n- flax make an equally tasty grilled cheese. Same goes for the cheese, I'll use whatever I have on hand, tho I prefer a sharp cheddar.

And while I was raised on grilled cheese and tomato soup.. I would rather have a vegetable, navy bean and bacon, or gumbo soup with my grilled cheese. :)

rainyday

Departed
If you're a grilled cheese fan, is there really a grilled cheese you won't eat? LOL!
Heh. Nope. :eat2:

Favorites are lightly pre-toasted Ezekiel bread with:

• sharp cheddar
• Monterey Jack with green salsa
• Swiss and sauteed mushrooms
• Medium cheddar with tuna salad (must have sweet pickle in it)
• Any cheese with very thinly sliced tomato
• Mozzarella, pesto and smoked turkey (though that's leaning into panini territory)

Black olive ciabatta bread with mozz and tomatoes is also good

I eat a lot of grilled cheese. Can you tell?

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
I was thinking about grilled cheese ALL day yesterday lol so after Steve and I met with the mortgage lady we headed over to the cheese shop. We looked around and I finally asked the guy that worked there what the best was for grilled cheese sandwiches and he sold us what they use when they make their grilled cheese sandwiches. It was little bits of everything!! He also gave us goat cheese spread to use to make the other cheese stick to the bread. :eat2: They just happened to have loaves of bread left (not usual for that time of day) so we picked up a nice, crusty cheese bread. It was by far the best grilled cheese sandwich I have ever had. One of the best things I've ever eaten. Oh, and we had them with tomato soup of course :)

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw
I love almost any grilled cheese, but the best I ever had were made with thick slices of my Mom's homemade bread and sharp cheddar, with lots of butter in her cast iron skillet. Simple and delish!

sunnie1653

Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)
Bakery bread (preferably 7-grain or whole wheat), a super-thin layer of mayo on the inside, salt and pepper, and an almost excessive amount of muenster cheese. Butter on the outside.

Insanely delicious! :eat2:

Latest posts