Grilled Cheese, Please!!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

OneWickedAngel

Untamed Woman...
Soup, I do the mayo on the outside also, it so rocks!

I'm a grilled cheese anything type of gal, but one of my faves is the ever so simple but so perfect, grilled swiss, tomato and basil on whole wheat. YUM:eat1:

smithnwesson

Drug dealer
I was thinking about grilled cheese ALL day yesterday lol so after Steve and I met with the mortgage lady we headed over to the cheese shop. We looked around and I finally asked the guy that worked there what the best was for grilled cheese sandwiches and he sold us what they use when they make their grilled cheese sandwiches. It was little bits of everything!! He also gave us goat cheese spread to use to make the other cheese stick to the bread. :eat2: They just happened to have loaves of bread left (not usual for that time of day) so we picked up a nice, crusty cheese bread. It was by far the best grilled cheese sandwich I have ever had. One of the best things I've ever eaten. Oh, and we had them with tomato soup of course :)
Get Steve's ass outta there. Send him to the store for some milk or sumptin'. I'm on my way . . .

:D -Jim

JeanC

Fat chick with a gun
I tend to like mine with wheat bread, american cheese stuff (we buy the Kirkland brand from Costco, so it is higher quality then Kraft singles) and butter. I grill mine on the non-stick electric griddle as I tend to end up with burnt if I use the cast iron pan or griddle :(

Sometimes I like to slice a nice fresh tomato from the garden in between the slices of cheese, other times I'll add some deli sliced ham or turkey. Occasionally I will get real cheddar cheese or a nice chunk of Cojack to make grilled cheese sandwiches out of.

At work I can't grill, so I have toasted cheese sammies in the toaster oven (minus the butter of course) and they are pretty tasty.

Neen

Free Spirit
I love all sorts of grilled cheese.
I love dipping mine in ketchup...in sour cream.. tarter sauce.
I love putting potato chips INTO my cheese.
Tuna, chicken, steak, all good in grilled cheese. Pickles.. are yummo.
MMM cheese.:eat2:

Weeze

Justin Bieber of Dims
mayo and provolone on wheat bread. hellz yeah.

shinyapple

crunchy in milk
Black olive ciabatta bread with mozz and tomatoes is also good
Where in the world did you find black olve ciabatta? As an olive fiend, I must know!

I am relocating to the PNW before the end of this month, so I am hoping it is someplace I can frequent in the SeaTac metro area :eat2:

rainyday

Departed
Where in the world did you find black olve ciabatta? As an olive fiend, I must know!

I am relocating to the PNW before the end of this month, so I am hoping it is someplace I can frequent in the SeaTac metro area :eat2:
New Seasons Market has it down here. They're a local chain but I think they're only in this area. Look for places that have artisan bread and maybe you can find it.

My breadmaker came with a good black olive and feta loaf recipe that I make sometimes. It not as good as the ciabatta but it is tasty. I can dig it out if you are interested.

LinCanDo66

This was a great thread to discover on a cool, rainy day here in Augusta. I am easy to please--American cheese on white bread and I usually just toast it in the toaster oven. I used to use butter but for some reason started putting mustard on them (the bright yellow French's mustard). If I have a tomato I'll place a slice between two slices of cheese.

AND I like tomato soup with it but only poured over Cheetos. Yup, I guess I earned my figure ;-)

QuasimodoQT

Shy viking
I love many variations but the favorite go-to is:
Tillamook medium cheddar or Cojack on Poulsbo oat bread, buttered and toasted in a pan. While it's scalding hot, I pry apart those melty sides, and hit it with a handful if thin sliced cherry or grape tomatoes or cold crisp apple slices.
Second place, Rosemary ciabatta with melted Brie and avocado. Of we've had prime rib, I throw the leftovers of that in there too, and roll my eyes right back into my head.
But I'm happy to try other variations!

fatgirlflyin

needs a vacation
i like mine with any sort of soft bread, like sour dough, white, potato...and any cheese on hand in the middle, extra sharp cheddar is my ideal, and i don't butter the outside of the bread, i use mayo. SO GOOD.
I've never had a grilled cheese with mayo spread on the outside. I do like to brush a little truffle oil on the outside of the bread though. VERY yummy!

CrankySpice

Unwashed.
I can't believe no one has mentioned this. peanut butter in a grilled cheese sandwich. It's quite yum!

Miss Vickie

I can't believe no one has mentioned this. peanut butter in a grilled cheese sandwich. It's quite yum!
Gah, really? Should I try it, you think? I'm trying to broaden my horizons and I do loves me some peanut butter but... really? What does it taste like (besides cheese and peanut butter)?

katorade

Vickie, I know a couple of people that like it, but I'm not directly a fan. They're complimentary flavors that need a buffer in there somewhere.

My logical foodie brain searched for a common denominator in the ___+___ world. Came to the conclusion that apples would do it. Try a cracker spread with peanut butter, then topped with a slice of granny smith, then a piece of cheddar. It's good! I bet it would transition nicely into a sandwich, hot or cold. Cold, maybe with some shredded or satay chicken. Warm, grilled monte cristo style with some apple pie filling.

Hmmm...

CrankySpice

Unwashed.
That's a great suggestion, katorade - it's a bit heavy on the savory side of the flavor scale. Some sweetness would counter it nicely. For some reason, the peanut butter seems to lose all it's 'sweet' and just tastes....peanutty.

rainyday

Departed
I've never had a grilled cheese with mayo spread on the outside. I do like to brush a little truffle oil on the outside of the bread though. VERY yummy!
Sounds like very classy cheese!

Re the outside mayo thing:

Back in the early 1980's, when Ladies Home Journal and Better Homes and Gardens and other home magazines were more popular, one of the mayo brands ran magazine ads showing toasted cheese made using mayo on the outside. I think it was Hellman's/Best Foods. I'm not quite sure why that sticks in my mind so much, but I remember it becoming a "thing," and my family made ours with outside mayo for a while after that. There may have been a TV ad too. Anyway, I always assumed that was when mayo on the outside became a common way of making them. No surety about that though. Anyone else remember that?

curvaluscious

>>>French or Italian bread from the local bakery, some first class Cheddar (like Cabot's Extra Sharp), a little mayonnaise with it inside. Grill it with butter on the outside.
<<<

Oh f/ck! I'm drooling.:smitten:

Miss Vickie

My logical foodie brain searched for a common denominator in the ___+___ world. Came to the conclusion that apples would do it. Try a cracker spread with peanut butter, then topped with a slice of granny smith, then a piece of cheddar. It's good! I bet it would transition nicely into a sandwich, hot or cold. Cold, maybe with some shredded or satay chicken. Warm, grilled monte cristo style with some apple pie filling.

Hmmm...
Yes. Apples are one of those kind of benign tastes that go with pretty much anything. They can be in spicy foods, or in sweet foods. I had some sushi which, believe it or not, had sliced apple between the rolls. It was inCREDible. So good. There was spicy tuna, rice, green onion, spicy mayo and super thinly sliced green apple. It was mouth-gasmic, so good, and the apple really made a nice cooling down taste between the spicy tuna and spicy mayo.

Brenda

I like fresh basil grilled on my grilled cheese sandwiches.

katorade

Yes. Apples are one of those kind of benign tastes that go with pretty much anything. They can be in spicy foods, or in sweet foods. I had some sushi which, believe it or not, had sliced apple between the rolls. It was inCREDible. So good. There was spicy tuna, rice, green onion, spicy mayo and super thinly sliced green apple. It was mouth-gasmic, so good, and the apple really made a nice cooling down taste between the spicy tuna and spicy mayo.
God that sounds good. One of my biggest issues with sushi is the sheer amount of cucumber in the fancy rolls. I freaking hate cucumber mixed with anything. It makes everything else taste like cucumber! Pushy bastard.

Latest posts