Quantcast

Guys Who Like Fat Chicks: Village Voice Article

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

LovelyLiz

I am surprised no one has yet posted up this article that prominently featured several (active and inactive) members of the Dimensions community. It's in the Village Voice and called "Guys Who Like Fat Chicks."

Overall I really liked it - it described some of the realities of men liking and dating fat women in straightforward ways without a lot of apology or defensiveness. It did have the requisite paragraph(s) about fat=unhealthy, but that was just a tiny part of a larger very positive article.

It was definitely from a man's perspective most of the way through and presenting primarily the voices of men (though some women's experiences were shared too), which I can imagine some women might take issue with; but that was really the point of it, in my view - specifically to take steps to de-stigmatize men's attraction to fat women and to speak to other men about it. So I didn't take issue with that.

penguin

Fnord
I really liked it. I have no idea which dimmers were interviewed in the article, but I still enjoyed it. It was a really positive piece.

Ned Sonntag

Outermost Hoodoo Doctor
Yes, excellent article. :bow: Subscribing. :)
I read the VV cover-to-cover faithfully from early '68:bow: to right after 9-11 when caregiving:eek: for my father-in-law began to consume:( all my time. I'd just go over to Barnes&Noble and buy this one.;) They treat their cartoonists like sh*t.:mad:

PeanutButterfly

This is a great article! I wish more stuff like this would make it into mainstream society.

altered states

señor member
This may be the first article on FAs I've ever read that isn't Journalism's Exploitive Cabinet of Curious Freaks. And a rare terrific article from a magazine that, like Ned says, used to be required reading for New Yorkers, current, ex-, and aspiring. At least now it's free, and usually worth every penny.

Props where props are due though to the VV and Mr. Ex Machina.

verucassault

as with most things i can find fault in it :)
not with the article itself but with the sentiment of equating liking fat women to homosexuality. as a fat woman, who at many times is treated like the lowest person on the totem pole, i just dont have much sympathy for men who dont feel comfortable sexualizing/objectifying a fat women with his buddypals in the locker room. :rolleyes:

then the cloak of anonimity, its not a fetish bleh, and i am totally proud of it meh but ooh wait dont show my face and thangs and give me a play name cause i want to be famous one day. put me the fattie loving witness protection program. (although many people on the site know who alot of the people are)

but it was great to see the images of the couples showcased and to see "this topic" being addressed in a mainstream paper. small step for fattykind i s'pose. :)

Reactions: Isa

TraciJo67

I loved the article, although I didn't read it through from beginning to end. I read only the first few pages, with some fascination as I knew (via Dims) the person who was interviewed. I loved it. It explains Dan's perspective very well, and it's something that I would have liked to have seen when I was young and fat and thought that nobody would ever be able to see beyond my chunky thighs and jiggly belly. It's not relevant to me anymore, being old and married and having come to terms with my body issues (as completely irrelevent to who/what I am), but I could feel the youthful energy, the unabashed enthusiasm that he (and the other men interviewed for the article) have for the rubinesque form, and I was happy to see that the article gave very little lip service to that tired old nugget about teh death fats for a so-called "balanced" perspective ... as so many of these types of articles do.

I don't know who else was interviewed, but I thought that Dan did an excellent job of representing himself as a young man who just happens to love fat women.

OOPS - meant to add, most importantly: Clearly, by using his real name, Dan is putting his preference out there, boldly, with no apology and no excuse. I'd like to know why the others chose to remain anonymous. That did undercut the overall message, IMO.

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
OOPS - meant to add, most importantly: Clearly, by using his real name, Dan is putting his preference out there, boldly, with no apology and no excuse. I'd like to know why the others chose to remain anonymous. That did undercut the overall message, IMO.
I think that there were two(?) people quoted who didn't use their actual name. "Charlotte" actually has an understandable reason for not using her real name. "Lawrence" has been getting a shitload of flak for it and even more for what he's said, and he deserves every bit of it.

verucassault

if you were gonna pick a fake name, why pick lawrence. no offense to men actually named lawrence, but my fake name would be Maximillian or Optimus Prime, something cool like that

LovelyLiz

I've read some very fair and legitimate criticisms of this article in various other online places: that conventional standards of beauty are still underscored, like youth, facial symmetry, not appearing "poor", having the right shape of body, etc. - but the article is just advocating the addition of more pounds to those conventional categories of physical beauty. So the article is still marginalizing and devaluing fat people who are not the "right kind of fat", and that is certainly a bad thing.

But it does open up people's imaginations to the possibility of fat people being desirable romantic companions, even if it does so while holding to other more shallow and unhelpful cultural categories of beauty.

So my question is this, and it's a question that has been posed in many contexts and ways over the years in this community: Do these articles and ways of presenting the arguments still do some good? Does that fact that this article operates mostly within conventional ideas about beauty make it more palatable and relatable for the general public (thus being helpful to the cause), or does that fact actually hurt the movement overall?

ETA: My own stance is still being worked out and is open for revision, but at the moment I am thinking that by first letting the "cute ones" into the group of those deemed "acceptable" it does not actually pave the way for the less conventionally "cute ones" to be accepted later, but instead it continues to reinforce and strengthen ideas that will continue to exclude those who do not fit.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Given that this was an article about FA, in essence, rather than about size acceptance, I thought it was fairly good. These observational/anecdotal articles do show up once in a while*, hopefully someone gains from them.

My only quibble would be that it implied that 'guys who like fat chicks' all prefer them somewhere north of 400 pounds. FA come in a lot more variety than that, I'd say. But if you are only going to talk to a few people, you are bound to leave out important aspects one way or another.

* for example I recall reading an article around a dozen years ago, in GQ or something like that (it was some magazine that a friend had brought to a guys weekend for reasons I don't remember--something aimed at men that was pretty mass circulation). It was of similar tone, focuessed on a couple that was a SSBHM with a petite FFA.

butch

cuddly, hairy, and fat
I enjoyed the article, but I would add an addition to McBeth's concern about how the article might reinforce, instead of open up, other conventional ideas about beauty. The fact that the article is only about heterosexual slender male FAs is sort of a let down, and I wonder if the reporter made any effort to widen her scope a bit and at least talk to one FFA.

That being said, for what it did cover, it was a very informative article, and a huge and hearty thank you to the FAs willing to go on record with their real names, as that is perhaps the most revolutionary thing about the article. I hope it leads to more objective articles in other media outlets about fat sexuality in all its many many flavors.

LovelyLiz

Good points, Tad and Butch.

I also want to add that I realize these articles, flaws and all, do encourage some individuals and open their minds to possibilities and self-acceptance in the skin they're in. Those are good things.

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
I enjoyed the article, but I would add an addition to McBeth's concern about how the article might reinforce, instead of open up, other conventional ideas about beauty. The fact that the article is only about heterosexual slender male FAs is sort of a let down, and I wonder if the reporter made any effort to widen her scope a bit and at least talk to one FFA.

That being said, for what it did cover, it was a very informative article, and a huge and hearty thank you to the FAs willing to go on record with their real names, as that is perhaps the most revolutionary thing about the article. I hope it leads to more objective articles in other media outlets about fat sexuality in all its many many flavors.
She interviewed my girlfriend Kelly and I. While not an FFA per se, Kelly likes the fact that I'm not a slender guy.

butch

cuddly, hairy, and fat
She interviewed my girlfriend Kelly and I. While not an FFA per se, Kelly likes the fact that I'm not a slender guy.
That is good to know, Wild Zero.

The article is great, don't get me wrong, and I readily recognize that these articles can't cover all bases. I hope it has a ripple effect outside our community.

russianrobot

Idle Chatter
is this the same Dan who has posted here for years,writes for pitchfork & and I think villiage voice as well?

interviewed beth ditto a while back?