HAES at Work

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by one2one, May 27, 2012.

1. May 27, 2012 #1

one2one

one2one

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

The organization I work for is large, with a number of divisions. They're self insured, and we have an 'optional' health assessment and health incentive classes that employees must complete if they don't want to pay higher co-pays for medical appointments. As you can imagine, I have philosophical differences with this on a number of levels.

Even so, I was browsing the course catalog the other day (thinking I'd take one last look at the wealth of misinformation offered before deciding to opt out of the whole thing and pay more for doctors' visits) and nearly fell out of my ergonomic chair when I came across a new class called Health for Every Body, based on the HAES method. Can you believe that?! I'm almost afraid to, but I signed up for the class right away because I just want to be there to see history in the making.

BBW Betty likes this.
  2. May 27, 2012 #2

Marlayna

Marlayna

Marlayna

That is amazing and wonderful! Things are finally changing.

3. May 27, 2012 #3

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

Keep us posted on the class, okay?

4. May 27, 2012 #4

Jon Blaze

Jon Blaze

Jon Blaze

Dusk

https://www.facebook.com/drunkentempest, M
    Oh nice! Slowly but surely...

5. May 28, 2012 #5

Weirdo890

Weirdo890

Weirdo890

I hope this turns out well for you. Baby steps.

6. May 31, 2012 #6

EMH1701

EMH1701

EMH1701

I'm glad to hear that at least one company is doing this. It's about time, IMHO.

7. Jun 1, 2012 #7

one2one

one2one

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

You got it. I'll report back later. :)

8. Jul 6, 2012 #8

one2one

one2one

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

I promised an update, and I’m really happy to say that the workshop was fantastic! The presenter was a licensed social worker, specializing in eating disorders, who has developed a food-for-thought pyramid. We discussed some of the myths about weight and health, the war on obesity, the 58.6 billion dollar a year weight loss industry, and how unsuccessful and unhealthy dieting is.

She questioned the validity of studies linking weight loss with health and increased mortality, and suggested that other studies indicate an increase in weight as we age may be, in part, a biological protective measure. She also talked about how dieting causes weight gain and that our weight, as a society, has increases right along with the increase in dieting. That it’s not only ineffective but may be more harmful than any particular medical condition, and that health can improve independently of weight loss. Including for heart disease and diabetes.

PowerPoint slides included the cover art for the book Big Fat Lies by Glen Gaesser and Health at Every Size, with great quotes such as, “Body fat is not intrinsically unhealthy. Dieting is.” Camryn Manheim’s, Wake Up, I’m Fat was included, and I loved it when we discussed the slide that showed an Olympic athlete who has publicly talked about having body image issues, next to a cover of Radiance magazine with an SSBBW in a bathing suit who didn’t appear to at all. She discussed body acceptance, intuitive eating, movement for pleasure, and that the establishment and society cling to false beliefs about weight and health in the same way we used to believe the world was flat, even given other evidence.

She acknowledged weight stigma and went through lots of points about dysfunctional eating v. healthy eating (some of which would surprise a lot of people) and the diet mentality that is so prevalent. With the bottom line being the idea that while not all diets lead to eating disorders, all eating disorders begin with a diet. She was very clear on the fact that you can’t tell by looking what a person’s health is like, their activity level or how they eat; thin does not indicate health or healthy eating and fat doesn’t guarantee the opposite either. I’m personally grateful she referenced incidents of larger people going to the doctor for a cold and being prescribed diet pills.* She also suggested, when talking to doctors who suggest weight loss, to pose the question of what they would recommend as a treatment plan (for whatever condition you're discussing) if you were thin.

I’m really glad I went, and I shared the PowerPoint handouts with both of my work units because sometimes we do that when one of us has been to a particularly useful training session. :D

* I’ve had this happen, except I went in with a sinus infection. When I wouldn’t take the prescription (for what I am certain was Fen-Phen, a few months before the media picked up on the news that it was killing people), he told me (29 yrs. old, 5’ 4” and 193 lbs) that I wouldn’t live to see 35.

Which is why he can suck it.

Tad and LinathSuru like this.
  9. Jul 7, 2012 #9

Jon Blaze

Jon Blaze

Jon Blaze

Dusk

https://www.facebook.com/drunkentempest, M
    Wow. It sounds like it was a really nice class. I'd love to do the same if I reach my educational goals. :)

10. Jul 7, 2012 #10

LinathSuru

LinathSuru

LinathSuru

Dreamer

What an awesome experience! I really wish I could have been in attendance at such a class. Sounds like a blast and something very informative too. Of course, just knowing there are courses like that out there makes me very happy! Thank you so much for sharing with us, and for the wonderful update! :)

11. Jul 16, 2012 #11

one2one

one2one

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

I hope you do; that would be wonderful.

You're so welcome, and I wish you could have been there. It was so nice to spend an hour in a room full of people who 'get' it.