Quantcast

Happy, Healthy, Fat Old People

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

CuteyChubb

Queen of Hearts
I am the only morbidly obese person in my family. My Mom who was 125 lbs. died at 43 from diabetes. My Dad who was 185 and 6'2 died at 40 from heart disease. I am 35. I plan on outliving my parents and will have a huge party for myself for my 41st and 44th birthdays. You are all invited. I want to live to see great grand children.

pani

The King of Tonga just passed away at 88. Some media reports have him at 400 lbs into his 70s. Apparently he did lose weight after that, but was still 300lb+ in the last decade of his life.

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

Tracyarts said:
I only know of one supersized person who remained supersized/survived into old age. She lived to her early eighties, but was extremely compromised for almost twenty years before death. Due to hip and knee problems she lost mobility in middle age and started to develop serious cardiovascular problems shortly therafter. By her mid sixties she was not leaving her house much and by her seventies was confined to a few small rooms and required daily assistance to perform the most basic of tasks. By the time she reached eighty, she required almost constant nursing care and went into the final decline.

I have never personally met any supersized persons older than their fifties, and only a very few at that. So I really don't know how common it is for somebody to remain supersized and yet thrive into old age.

Tracy

And that is exactly what scares the living shit out of me. There are those on this board who feel threatened by diet talk and weight loss talk...but for some of us...that is our only hope of living past our 40's. I wish that it was true that being fat isnt unhealthy....but there is apoint where it becomes very unhealthy indeed.

pani

That is fine SSBBW. But many people do not feel they are over that point and feel comfortable with their size. Why not let them have them have one place free from fear and negativity? It is not like the bombardment is not constant and complete!

Isabel Sanford of The Jefferson's fame. She lived to her mid 80's and kept her beauty right up to the end!

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

pani said:
That is fine SSBBW. But many people do not feel they are over that point and feel comfortable with their size. Why not let them have them have one place free from fear and negativity? It is not like the bombardment is not constant and complete!

Isabel Sanford of The Jefferson's fame. She lived to her mid 80's and kept her beauty right up to the end!

I was not trying to bombard anyone nor invoke fear and/or negativity. I was agreeing with Tracyarts that there are very few Supersized people who make it to mid/old age. It is worrying that the truth irritates you to the point that you wish to silence/shun people who bring it up.

I do believe people can be fat, very fat infact and be healthy, but the fact of the matter is...there are many who are not. And why am I not free to discuss my health concerns in a place where people understand? Not like I can go to weightwatchers.com or "insert diet website here" and meet supersized people who understand my issues. I do not desire to be thin...just healthy...and if that isnt accepted on a Size Acceptance board...then it is not really acceptance.

Reguardless...sorry for the temporary highjacking.

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
When I was in my early teens I found a box of old 8mm home movies. I conned my parents into letting me rent a projector so I could transfer the old family films to video.

I had a surprise when I got to the third reel. It was a film of my father and mother swimming at out cabin. Suddenly this supersize woman dashes into the frame in a 1930's style full-body swimsuit and swimming cap.

A few minutes late another midsized woman wades into the lake.

"Mom, come here. Who are these people?"
"What do you mean?"
"The two large women. Who are they?"
"That's grandma G and grandma J"

Huh. My grandmothers were both tiny little women. Grandma G (the supersize woman) looked like fluffy version of Ruth Gordon by the time I knew her.

So, one theory for why you don't see many supersize women in rest homes (though there are a couple in my mothers assisted living residence) is that they drop weight as they age.

pani

"And why am I not free to discuss my health concerns in a place where people understand?"

I respectfully asked if we couldn't have this one tiny little thread to just have a running list of fat people who lived long healthy lives. That was the sole purpose of this thread. If you had been reading the headlines you will agree that the media (not you) bombard us daily with the myth that fat is lethal. I think Lily even contributed an article where the headline read "Even a little pudge can be lethal." That stereotype affects peoples ability to get a job, health insurance, and quite honestly live a sane life w/o harrassment. I personally think it is a good idea to have postitive examples to counter that, as thoughts can and do create reality. I also think it is good to have examples we can easily point to in self defense. But too much debate or bringing in other issues can take a thread way off topic to the point it has lost its impact. No one is remotely suggesting you shouldn't be talking about your issues on Dimensions. If fact, if you would like to start a new thead I would be happy to debate with you there. But can't we please just have one thread that is just a list, and discuss the tangential issues under another topic?

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

pani said:
"And why am I not free to discuss my health concerns in a place where people understand?"

I respectfully asked if we couldn't have this one tiny little thread to just have a running list of fat people who lived long healthy lives. That was the sole purpose of this thread. If you had been reading the headlines you will agree that the media (not you) bombard us daily with the myth that fat is lethal. I think Lily even contributed an article where the headline read "Even a little pudge can be lethal." That stereotype affects peoples ability to get a job, health insurance, and quite honestly live a sane life w/o harrassment. I personally think it is a good idea to have postitive examples to counter that, as thoughts can and do create reality. I also think it is good to have examples we can easily point to in self defense. But too much debate or bringing in other issues can take a thread way off topic to the point it has lost its impact. No one is remotely suggesting you shouldn't be talking about your issues on Dimensions. If fact, if you would like to start a new thead I would be happy to debate with you there. But can't we please just have one thread that is just a list, and discuss the tangential issues under another topic?

ok, you can have THIS thread ;) and hopefully I will be on of the supersized who make to to old age.

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher
Interesting points made here. Just to add a little something extra. I'm a supersized woman at 370 - 385 pounds give or take, I've no idea. Being a fat activist I would say that 65% or the people I call friends are all fat to super sized.

I am home today with a narsty cold. (I hate being sick) Last night I got a call from a fat friend of mine who upon hearing me could tell how sick I was. Suddenly she got really alarmed and warned me not to take sudafed. My medicine drawer is full of the stuff. I'm ever the conspiracy theorist so I asked her why. I know the pharmacies keep them behind the counter now so I figured maybe the surgeon general came out with a new proclamation claiming the stuff was poison or something. :D She went into this whole thing about how sudafed is bad for your heart and can induce a heart attack if you have high blood pressure and how she's not allowed to take sudafed. I was taken aback. My doctor showers me with the stuff. I don't have high blood pressure so taking sudafed is not a concern.

But for HER, it is. She's a SSBBW, much younger than me, and is apparently convinced that fat is the reason she has HBP. I would imagine it looms large in her mind as a major concern and it should. But somehow my super sized friend assumed that just being fat makes it a concern for me when it clearly doesn't. I went to see my doctor today and sure enough, he sent me home with a fist full of sudafed.

It remains to be seen who the deluded party is. As fat people maybe we are all supposed to be sick and I'm just a victim of bum luck for the time being. Especially since I'm African American. Being black supposedly makes me more prone. I've never seen any African American support groups for high blood pressure though which is strange considering we 'all' are walking time bombs for the disease. Maybe it just boils down to the idea that some people are sick and some people are not, but being fat can intensify matters when it turns out that you are sick so you have to be careful? I'm fat, female and black. Maybe I 'deserve' to be sick?

I'll be 40 in a few weeks. I suppose you can toss me on to the pile of people who are fat and healthy. *knocks on wood* That doesn't mean I won't be looking over my shoulder from here on in.

pani said:

estrata

I know I am awakening this forum from a little while ago but I just randomly read some of it and I have an opinion. Woot!

I have two grandmas (surprise! :D ), who since I was young I would call “fat grandma” and “skinny grandma”. My fat grandma is currently pushing 90, and aside from certain personality defects that she’s had all her life (they’ve just gotten worse as she got older!), she is ABSURDLY healthy. My “skinny grandma”, on the other hand, is early 80s and an absolute mass of bad health. Cancer, osteoporosis, you name it. And her daughter (my mom) has a BMI of I would guess 20-21, yet has been battling high cholesterol for ages. Yet she is so thin, and she exercises regularly. I, with a BMI of 19, expect to enjoy high cholesterol as well as I get older. Horray for me.

I think in the end health is down to the genes. As is whether or not your body is natural big. If you are naturally fat, I think it is very healthy to be so. If you are naturally thin, however (like myself), I think it is quite unhealthy to gain weight intentionally – no matter how much you may want it.

It is true that big pharma likes to shove the dangers of being fat down our throats. But in the end, if you are a naturally fat person I think it is far more dangerous to diet your entire life and never be happy with yourself. If the fad diets don’t kill you, the stress of self-hatred will do you in for sure.

However, eating burger king all your life is certainly not healthy either. I think a problem a lot of these studies have is that they are looking at the weight, and not the food that put that weight on. Even a naturally thin person will get big eating double whoppers every day! But if you eat healthy and exercise a decent amount, I think that whether your fat or thin it’s your genes that determine your health, not your weight.

MoonGoddess

Autumn's Child
There are physical and mental aspects of obesity. And there are also untold countless personal ramifications. Case in point. My father was always very big, he weighed 550 at 5'10"at his heaviest. He was never sick, never took meds...almost never saw a doctor. He loved his food, was never one to say no to a cold beer. He went hunting, he traveled. He lived his life on his own terms and never apologized for his size. He did die at the age of 65 from a massive heart attack. But he was happy to the end. My mother was 250-300 all her life. She was always trying this diet or that diet. She suffered from high blood pressure. Over the course of her life she fought 4 different kinds of cancer (NHL took her at the end). She was not a happy person, always stressed out over this or that. She lived to be 70, but was never truly happy with herself. My grandparents on both sides were heavy, all had some sort of health issue. All made it to their 80's.

I am almost 47. I currently weigh 220 on a 5'6" frame. I have during the course of my adult life tried almost every fad diet there is. I have done the work out 'til you drop thing. I have been sane and simply eaten a healthy and balanced diet and moved my body each day (lots of walks in the woods). And despite it all, my weight has continued to creep to it's current point. I have fought cancer and won. I am pre-diabetic. My blood pressure is generally good. I recently got a great job with Time Warner Cable that I love. In a nutshell...I am pretty happy with my life. Will I live to be 100? Most likely not. Will my health deteriorate as I age? Probably, if genetics and my family history are any indication. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I guess that I am saying studies are fine. But our individual situations and circumstance have a tremendous bearing on whether or not we will live to be happy, healthy, old fat people.

That's my ramble for today.

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

Dont want to get all biblical on you, lol, since that isnt even my forte....but it has been said, those who love life will lose it....aka..the good die young.

I have noticed that it is the confused, sad, depresed, miserable people who live to very old age...in a lot of cases...I know Im hella generalising. But the opposite is true...those who love life and take it for all its worth tend to die younger.

Just thinking outloud. sorry.

pani

You make a good point! Myself, I really don't want to live a very long time. The number that scares me is not BMI, or cholestoral, but what the Social Security Administration says I will be getting when I retire. Assuming they are still around. NO WAY I could live off of it. I also don't think I can save much until then. At least not enough to make a difference. I have no desire to be a poor old woman on a hot chaotic planet. In my own personal belief system, we are here for a purpose. Once we finish we move on. Doing everything possible to eack out every last second is like deliberately flunking in order to never leave high school.

BUT, it really does bug me that society says it is not possible to be fat and live along time because the evidence suggests otherwise. So I will end this post with Zulu shaman Credo Mutwa. You can't tell from this picture but he weighs over 400 lbs. He does have diabetes and cancer now but he is in his mid 80's and that is to be expected at that advanced age.

http://literature.kzn.org.za/lit/18.xml

pani

Character actress Peggy Rea is 85. She was Aunt Rose on The Waltons if anyone remembers her. She was already fat when she was on I Love Lucy. It was hard to find a picture of her, She was in so many things I bet most of us will recognize her when we see her.

http://members.aol.com/lucynet/reunion/rea.html

SilkyAngela

runs with scissors
My maternal grandmother was near 300 pounds and lived to be 88 years old, still had her mobility and independence as well as her love of food and feeding those she loved.
She always cooked with real butter, real sugar, real salt, and never a non/fat or sugar free substitute. She raised a garden every year to feed herself and her family and always raised enough to give tons of produce away to her neighbors and friends who were in the seniors community in her town. She canned vegetables made home made jellies and jams to give away at Christmas to those who were no longer able to do so for themselves....she said to give her friends a taste of yesterday.
To this day, I can't begin preparing a meal for my family without smiling and remembering her and the many years of love she shared from her garden and her kitchen.

Observer

Editor/Writer/Commentator
I don't know how I missed this thread, initially but it brings back memories. The Roseto story is one which I first encountered forty years ago in the pages of Rodale's Prevention Magazine. It was seminal in my becoming convinced that obesity is not incompatible with health. But there are two aspects downplayed in the current accounts.

Roseto was definitely a close knit family oriented community. But as I recall it is also very hilly. This meant that to go anywhere or get anything done you had to exert yourself physically every day. It was the combination of human interaction and regular exercise that overrode all the high cholesterol eating and stress of the depression and war years..

The exceptional resistance to heart disease and other problems was, alas, not to last. When television, fast food, and sedentary living came to the city so did poorer health. Even improvements in diet did not reverse the trend. A follow-up Prevention article in the mid-eighties noted that the "Roseto effect" was diminishing in the then younger generation.

Here is an update of the story

Moral: before accepting the conclusions of so-called "science" make sure all the evidence is included. Not smoking, reducing fats and refined sugar and incresng veggies woith anti-oxidents are certainly not bad things, but the Roseto lesson is that exercise and inner security are even more essential.

Problem: emulating the Roseto environment has proven nearly impossible for the residents of that community - how as a practical matter do the rest of us do it today? No diet or operation or weight loss nostrum can achieve this nirvana.

JMNYC

Charles Durning, perhaps best known as the unsuspecting suitor of female impersonater Michael Dorsey (Dustin Hoffman) in 1982's "Tootsie" is extra large---I saw him three years ago in "Glen Garry Glen Ross" in New Jersey and he was big as life. He was born in 1923, which makes him 83 now.

AtlasD

Winston Churchill was fat, drank, smoked cigars and lived to be 90. Euell Gibbons was thin, ate sticks and pine cones, and died at 64.