Quantcast

Happy, Healthy, Fat Old People

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Emi

B.B. King is 81 or so and hes awesome. I read on wikipedia that he's a vegetarian (me too) and doesn't smoke or drink. I wonder how many of us fat vegetarians there are out there? Prolly a lot more than most people would assume.

Adrian

??
Speaking of BB King, has anyone ever noticed that in the urban areas where most African American families live, have BBW matriarhs! If being a BBW is so unhealthy why is it she outlives most of her family?

Adrian

pani

http://pages.interlog.com/~gilgames/liliuo.htm

The last queen of Hawaii, Queen Liliuokalani lived to be 79 and I have read
she weighed over 200lbs. That was quite a long life back then, considering
all the heartache she had to endure. Thought we needed something to balance the coming barage of antifat marketing.

Wayne_Zitkus

Proud FA Since 1962
My Aunt Willie spent most of her adult life between 300 and 400 pounds and was very mobile up to the end. She sufferred a massive stroke and died at a new restaurant she and my uncle were trying for the first time. She was 73.

My mother was very weight-conscious and was probably around 100 pounds when she died at 72.

pani

Australia!!!

As Sandy Swarc pointed out in her excellent blog, Australia has one of the
highest longevity rates in the world:
78.5 for males, 83.3 for females. For men, only Honk Kong and Iceland are higher, for women only Hong Kong and Japan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070108/ts_nm/australia_life_dc

Australia is also one of the fattest nations in the world, or so the hype goes.
In fact, the second paragraph in this linked article claims Australia has overtaken the U.S. as fattest nation:

http://www.katelundy.com.au/obesity.htm

Granted, crude statistics are a very poor way of proving a point. There are countless other factors that come into play. But if fatness is really as deadly as this unfortunate Kate Lundy is whining about, how come Australians are living so long? Something just doesn't add up!!! (Other than the creative accounting of politicians and BigPharma!)

ashmamma84

Om Namah Shivayah
All of my family ranges from chubby to supersize, with the exception of two or three people. My paternal Grandmother is 85 years of age - doesn't look it at all, and about 275 lbs. She loves a good homemade meal (she's a southern woman) and turns her nose up at all 'that diet stuff'.

My maternal grandmother was a chubby woman (about a size 16 or so) - she died at the age of 79. Not because she was overweight, she had Alzheimer's for about 10 years.

My father's side has great genes as far as age is concerned - they live long, regardless of how fat they are.

pani

Since there was a recent thread about fat and longevity, I though I would revisit this thread. I don't know how I forgot about Mary Kay Ash, BBW who lived to 83. I couldn't find a link with a good photo, although I am sure one exists since she was a cosmetics queen!

TheSadeianLinguist

Coin-Operated
My grandfather is in his mid 80's and fat. And he's alive. I don't know how fat, but above 260 but below 300 at about 6'.

TheSadeianLinguist

Coin-Operated
My Aunt Willie spent most of her adult life between 300 and 400 pounds and was very mobile up to the end. She sufferred a massive stroke and died at a new restaurant she and my uncle were trying for the first time. She was 73.
Actually, dropping dead after a healthy life like that probably was a pretty good way to go. Hope we're all that lucky!

EtobicokeFA

Proud FA
DM Supporter
Most on my family where fat and lived into their 90's.

By the way, I thought I remember Inside Edition, was doing a article on a retirement home that was full of fat people, anybody heard about it?

lemmink

THE PUMMEL IS COMING
I always thought it was the position of abdominal fat - like if it was pressing on the organs, or if it was just soft fat on top. Can't remember but I think there was another thread on that.

pani

O.K. I kind of stole this entry from celebs who inspire us.
The Borden Twins. Probably best known for Teensy and
Weensy on I Love Lucy. The part itself wasn't exactly fat flattering,
but apparently Lucy wrote them in because she worked with
them before and admired their professionalism. They were both
ardent AIDS activists as well. Roz passed away at 71 of liver
disease. Marilyn is 75 and still with us.

http://www.thebordentwins.com/us.htm

ExpandingHorizons

my grandma was a fat lady and she had a stroke in mid 80s and she passed away when she was 88 years old. that's a good long life she had there. it was my dad's mom. she is a strong jewish lady, too.

Neen

Free Spirit
My grandma lived to be 89. She was never a small woman, but 'hefty'. Around 5ft6 in heigh. She did have diabetes, but never took insulin...married to my grandpa for 55 years. When she died in 2003, he died one year later to the DAY. He was 95 but super skinny. I'm greek so i have the long life genes.. garlic and olive oil.. and you'll live forever!

Fatgirlfan

Did any mention Mary Kady Stanton? She was a famous and promanant women's right activist and a friend of Susan B. Anthony. She was was short and fat, she weighed about 285 and lived to be 87. Her lifespan was much longer than the average woman of her time. SHe died in 1915.

Fatgirlfan

Well shit, I see that someone did mention Mary Kady Stanton. She was proud of her size, she liked the fact that she gained weight as she got older.
She did wald with a cane at the end of her life.

lypeaches

B.B. King is 81 or so and hes awesome. I read on wikipedia that he's a vegetarian (me too) and doesn't smoke or drink. I wonder how many of us fat vegetarians there are out there? Prolly a lot more than most people would assume.
I hear ya...I grew up going to a church where the whole congregation was vegetarian, and there were plenty of fat people there, including myself. I always laugh at people who suggest going vegetarian to lose weight. Vegan, maybe...

Anyway...I'm still formulating my ideas on health, weight and life expectancy, but my preliminary conclusion is: it's pointless to think that anything you can do will extend your life. The only reason to make lifestyle changes is with the goal of feeling better in the here and now. I was reminded of this a while back when two window washers fell 47 stories from a building here in NYC. You would think they'd both be dead, but no, one of them lived. Any reasonable person would think he should be dead as well. So, I believe that "your time to go" is rather out of your control. Someone or something else picks that time for you. I think that one of my jobs in life is to love myself...and sometimes that will mean swimming laps for an hour, and sometimes that will mean having a bowl of ice cream. They each bring me pleasure.

Like I said, I'm still formulating my own theory on this...don't want to entirely derail the thread, but welcome any thoughts.

As for my grandparents, there are no conclusions to be drawn there. 2 were chubby, and two were thin. One of each died in their 70's, and the other two in their 90's.

pani

The former Dodger manager is 81. Yes, he did lose weight during his gig with ultra slim fast, but he regained it back as everyone else I have ever met who lost weight that way. He was heavy for much of his adult life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Lasorda

p.s. How very sad about his son

p.p.s LYPeaches - Oh but your grandparents stats are of interest to us. Pop culture tells us only thin people live to a ripe old age and fat people die early. That one of each lived a moderately long life and one of each lived a very long life tells us there is so much more to it than weight.