Happy, Healthy, Fat Old People

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
Both of my grandmothers were fat.

My maternal grandmother weighed about 200 pounds and died at 92. My paternal grandmother was supersized until her 70s and lived to 91.

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
My piano teacher was around 600 pounds and died when she was around 86 i believe it was...My gramma is a good 275 pounds and she's 76 years old and still kickin' :) My dad had an Aunt who was around 300's somewhere and she was in her late 70's when she died....lots of fatties living long healthy lives :)

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
My now 90-year-old grandmother was about 225 most of her life. I very much believe that there are few truly fat old people because - guess what? - we lost our sense of taste and our appetites as we age. Therefore, people lose. My grandmother is an excellent example of this. She's lost a significant amount of weight, which her doctor is actually UNhappy about, because past a certain age, even docs think weight loss is not good. Of course, my grandmother is thrilled that she fits into smaller pants, so wears skin-tight pants in tinier sizes. :doh: She always was very eating-disordered though.

pani

Happy Birthday Rosey Greir. I started this thread several years ago, and hearing about Rosey's birthday today reminded me of it. He is more big than truly fat, but I think he still counts. He is 88 today!

Rosey Grier - Wikipedia

extra_m13

oh well... this is good topic for conversation. there are a lot of variables that impact longevity. a very important aspect its indeed how do we handle our emotions and particularly stress. of course some habits are life shortening and there will always be some exceptions to it. smoking 3 packages a day will surely not help. as for the weight, it just doesn't help to be severely overweight, being fat is one thing. not exercising is a different matter.

stevita

like the pancake
My grandma is fat too; although she diets and exercises she's never successfully lost weight. She does, however, have a completely clean bill of health. Probably because she drinks very little alcohol and has been smoke-free for the last 20 years.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
My grandma is fat too; although she diets and exercises she's never successfully lost weight. She does, however, have a completely clean bill of health. Probably because she drinks very little alcohol and has been smoke-free for the last 20 years.
I don't have the link anymore, but there was one study that looked at mortality over some fairly long time span, based on how many of a set of unhealthy factors you had, versus weight category. Smoking, heavy drinking, not eating vegetables (I don't remember if it also had lack of exercise? Maybe). What it very clearly showed was that the unhealthy aspects multiplied. If you had none of those unhealthy factors or just one, your size category didn't really change the mortality numbers. If you had all of them or all but one of them, everyone's mortality was a lot higher, but you also saw a very clear increase by size category. Basically your grandma is a good example of this, if you are otherwise basically healthy and have healthy habits, being fat doesn't seem to cause a lot of issues. But as you start adding other issues it compounds the effect.

Latest posts