Quantcast

Has anyone ever considered leaving or actually left dimensions before?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

beginner FA

I have unintentionally zoned out of dimensions during a particularly hectic 2-3 weeks of my life. I have found it hard to re-integrate myself into the community. Obviously the the temptation is there to give up when something is difficult but in the back of my head I know t would be my loss.

Does anyone have any similar personal experience or advice?

:confused:

Or does the fact im findin it hard mean i wasn't properly integrated in the first place???

1300 Class

Pam Poovey's Stunt Double
Certain people have thrown hissy fits and spat the dummy and made the archtypical "I've leaving because of this, that there or the other thing" post, but most of them have come back.

Santaclear

User
I have unintentionally zoned out of dimensions during a particularly hectic 2-3 weeks of my life. I have found it hard to re-integrate myself into the community. Obviously the the temptation is there to give up when something is difficult but in the back of my head I know t would be my loss.
Or does the fact im findin it hard mean i wasn't properly integrated in the first place???
Welcome, Beginner. :) The bitter truth is no one can leave because none of us are "here."

Well, you're there and I'm here. But the reality of Dimensions cyberspace is that only the Webmaster can leave. The rest of us are just here in front of our computers. Only if you're in the same room with the forum's server and you leave the room, ONLY THEN can you truly say you're "leaving." :bow:

Australian is right. Many have claimed to be leaving at different times. The rule seems to be: If you say you're leaving, you'll be back. :rolleyes:

Here are some threads that discuss this more in depth:

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28077

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46577

Some prefer not to announce a permanent departure, since they've already done that and come back a few times. So instead they say they're "taking a break":

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29219

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Filly

Searching Restlessly

HHmm interesting. For me, the key thing I noticed while reading your post was the focus put on 'integration'. At the risk of sounding really corny, I guess we are all on some kind of journey in our lives and maybe you're still trying to grapple with whether or not Dimensions has a part to play in things? I don't know... maybe I'm over analyzing things :confused: hehe.

But realistically, if you enjoy reading the dims posts and contributing when you feel like it then you should definitely stick round! In comparison to others, I am still a semi "newbie", and I know I have found it difficult at times to feel like a member of the dims community, but that topic has been discussed in other threads so I wont reiterate. Just remember that you are always welcome here!

Simply put, there are always going to be aspects of our lives that make it difficult to stick with things on a regular basis. 2-3 weeks away from the boards isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things!

As for whether others have felt like leaving or have left.... I am almost certain that people have come and gone through dims! Not everyone who registers stays active. Some people slowly lose interest, or other things happen in their lives and dims takes a bit of a back seat. BUT, like Santaclear said, some people have claimed to have had enough but they keep coming back for more!

Sorry I cant be any help, but I hope you stick around :D

troubadours

i randomly go on hiatus from the board from time to time. basically because the ~real world~ gets too busy for my internet life.

also, i hate when people make a big spectacle, making threads like ~o i am leaving~ obviously for attention (and those types always come back so w/e)...like no one cares. it's just the internet.

Shosh

Susannah
I have just been away for a few days, and a few weeks before that recently.
Life has a way of interrupting what you are doing, and you need to attend to things.
Sometimes you just need a break from the internet in general.

If people wish to leave here that is ok also. They can always come back if they wish to.

BothGunsBlazing

Back...ish
well, nothing super dramatic .. just those, yeah, I need a break from Dims because I am on the computer far too much.

*logs out of Dims and into World of Warcraft*

Lovelyone

Fat, and loveable!
I left dimensions forums for over a year because of flaming in a "clique" thread that I felt was just too much. It took me a year to decide whether or not I wanted to participate in the forums any longer, but the people on here who are sincere and intelligent far outclass and outnumber the ones who aren't. I missed those people and the friends that I made, this is why I came back.

SMA413

C-C-C-Cinnamon Lips
I was away from Dims for like 2 months this summer- not because I was upset or anything. I just had plans for the summer that didn't involve computer access.

I think it's ok to take a break from it every now and then (especially when real life gets a little crazy or you're on here just a little too much...). However, I did find it kinda hard to get back into the swing of things- I felt like i missed out on stuff. People left, new people came, old people came back. But that's the thing about the internet- it's always changing, kinda like the weather. So if you don't like it, wait around a minute- it'll change.

Chimpi

into the shining sun
I know a few people whom are members of the Dimensions community that no longer access the boards at any time. Personally I would never consider leaving permanently, but I have had a few times where I have stopped posting and only read the forums for differing reasons. I'm unsure of the need to actually leave a place, especially when it's a community that thrives on diversity and individual input - a forum with the same type of people discussing the same issues over and over would get pretty boring.

Suze

Too Vanilla For You
NEVAR.
and such threads are annoying and pathetic. i would never make one, unless it was in jest.

no, wait:rolleyes:

Gingembre

radar detector
I'm considering a break at the moment, although I've only been on here very sporadically for the past month so perhaps I'm already on one! I think I'll always lurk a bit tho - there's too many nice people and interesting conversations :)

bmann0413

PLAYER ONE READY! START!
Nah, I love Dims and everyone here too much to leave permanently. I feel like I'm accepted here... lol

ThikJerseyChik

Sweet & Salty ;)
Coming here on a daily basis fills my need so that I don't have to tape Soap Operas!

;)

Kareda

Kare~N~da
I'm constantly taking breaks because real life gets busy, but I always come back and am always welcomed back. I don't post that I am leaving nor that I am back I just get right back into posting as normal. There are more well known members and what some may feel are cliques-- and even though I am neither Ive never really felt "outside" or non-integrated. I just know that there are people here long before my introduction that have formed friendships and has no bearing on me personally. I probably would be closer to others if I did not come and go but Ive never felt unwelcome in the slightest.

Shosh

Susannah
I'm constantly taking breaks because real life gets busy, but I always come back and am always welcomed back. I don't post that I am leaving nor that I am back I just get right back into posting as normal. There are more well known members and what some may feel are cliques-- and even though I am neither Ive never really felt "outside" or non-integrated. I just know that there are people here long before my introduction that have formed friendships and has no bearing on me personally. I probably would be closer to others if I did not come and go but Ive never felt unwelcome in the slightest.
I am glad you are back Karenda.:)