Has anyone seen the film, "Disfigured"?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

OriginalCyn

It's viewable for free at Hulu.Com . It explores many aspects of size activism, body image issues, bariatric surgery, sexual relations, etc., and I found it to be a worthwhile way to spend an hour and a half of ones entertainment time.

In the opening few minutes, one actress described being put down for her size by a group of jocks (and subsequently receiving negative feedback from a school official when she complained about it). I think that if one is fat and female, one may lack a certain perspective and may blame oneself for insults hurled from moving vehicles inhabited by young men. The fact is that men--usually in groups, but sometimes individuals--will yell things out to ANY female who is out in public unaccompanied by a male. I think it's a form of "dominance display" more than anything else, and it's more about the man/men doing the yelling than it is about the object of that yelling.

Anyway, if any of you have seen the movie, or if you decide to see the movie, let me know what you think about it. I think it'd make for an interesting discussion.

ThisIsBrian

I have not seen "Disfigured" but I do have an opinion on insults hurled from car windows at fat people.

I've been a fat person and I'm male and, on different occasions, I've had both cars full of males and cars full of females shout insults at me like "nice tits!" or "fatass!"

I remember when I was about eighteen walking down the street past an SUV full of young women that was stopped at a red light. As I walked past they all took turns shouting sarcastic sexual insults at me. It was humiliating. Then years later, after losing weight and getting into shape, I got cat-called from a carload of women (which, I should say, felt 100 times nicer than being ridiculed).

Actually, come to think of it, throughout the course of my previous life as a fat person, I've had a lot of females say a lot of mean shit to me.

I know that this is all anecdotal but, based on my experiences, I disagree that shouting things at strangers from moving cars is a uniquely male behavior. I think this behavior is the result of combining mob mentality with anonymity both of which seldom bring out the best in people.

The documentary does sound interesting though. I'll have to give it a look.

Saisha

Delphinum natare doces
Just ordered it from the library - looking forward to seeing it.

veggieforever

High Carb Low Fat Vegan
Parts 1 & 2 have been uploaded onto Youtube but the rest is missing. From what I seen I really really enjoyed it! Hope they upload the rest.

Saisha

Delphinum natare doces
Just finished watching it. It was.......................

I am just angry right now. Not at anyone in particular nor at society in general. Just angry.

TFats

but as a fat guy have experienced people honking, yelling and even throwing things at me from their car. there's something about cars that makes people think they're invincible.

indy500tchr

but as a fat guy have experienced people honking, yelling and even throwing things at me from their car. there's something about cars that makes people think they're invincible.

Kinda like the internet.

Green Eyed Fairy

Veteran of a 1000 Psychic Wars
I saw this movie a few years back. (It's on Netflix DVD but not streaming).

As someone with an ED, I liked the exploration with the way anorexics are treated along with the fatties. I also like how the movie seemed to point out that the prejudice goes both ways and the concepts of the fatties about themselves can also be harmful.

Great movie- worth the time to watch, IMHO.

Latest posts