He says the nicest things.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ho Ho Tai

Nice idea for a thread. I'm embarrassed to quote myself but I'll ask Mrs Ho Ho.

OK - I'm embarrassed, but not as much as if I hadn't asked Mrs Ho Ho first. We were driving home last night into a dusky western sky. The two-day old crescent moon was hanging over the horizon, illuminated by the sun while the balance of the moon was visible by reflected earthlight. Astronomers sometimes call this apparition-like effect "The old moon in the new moon's arms."

Twenty seven years ago, when Mrs Ho Ho agreed to marry me, I was just over 50 y.o. and she was just over 30. I described us then as "The old moon in the young moon's arms". Many years later, that is still true and that phrase is engraved in our hearts.

There are so many other phrases that we remember but I promise not to post here again until someone else does.

There are so many more

View attachment old moon in new moons arms.png

Deannie

OK - I'm embarrassed, but not as much as if I hadn't asked Mrs Ho Ho first. We were driving home last night into a dusky western sky. The two-day old crescent moon was hanging over the horizon, illuminated by the sun while the balance of the moon was visible by reflected earthlight. Astronomers sometimes call this apparition-like effect "The old moon in the new moon's arms."

Twenty seven years ago, when Mrs Ho Ho agreed to marry me, I was just over 50 y.o. and she was just over 30. I described us then as "The old moon in the young moon's arms". Many years later, that is still true and that phrase is engraved in our hearts.

There are so many other phrases that we remember but I promise not to post here again until someone else does.

There are so many more

That is so romantic!

x0emnem0x

Words.
Love this! Definitely subbing to this thread.

I can't quote anything directly right now, but my beau is the sweetest. He always makes sure I have gas money to get home, for Christmas he even was making sure I had money for gifts. He has told me a few times that I am the perfect girlfriend, and specifically, for him. I will definitely come back to this if I think of anything.

Deannie

This is very silly, but while we were out eating at a coffee shop I was having a muffin. He told me he was jealous of the crumbs that fell into my bra. Strange comment, but it made me smile.

landshark

Happy to be part of Dims!
This is very silly, but while we were out eating at a coffee shop I was having a muffin. He told me he was jealous of the crumbs that fell into my bra. Strange comment, but it made me smile.

Haha, well if you're going to envy crumbs then envy crumbs that fall into a beautiful woman's bra!

Ho Ho Tai

Mrs Ho Ho would sympathize. This 'crumb' fell into her arms - and stuck!

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
My wife and had both been previously married, and we met on thr rebound. I immediately knew I had picked a winner, and it wasn't very long before I proposed, but she was still pretty bruised (figuratively speaking, thank goodness!). Her ex had apparently lost interest in her and cheated at will, and she was afraid I'd do the same. Even after we were married, she frequently asked, "Do you still love me?" A couple of weeks before our thirteenth anniversary, I spotted a billboard on the main drag that had been blank for several weeks. I called the company and asked if I could rent it. I could. OUr anniversary fell on a weekday that year, and my wife came home from work tired and reluctant to move. I finally cajoled her into going out "to see your anniversary present." She asked why I just didn't go get it, and all I could think to say was "You'll see." We drove into a parking lot just in front of the billboard, and I helped her out of the car. "So where is this present?" she asked. I said "Look up." And she did -- and saw, in yard-high letters, "Happy anniversary, Jeanette. I love you more than ever." I had only rented the space for a month, but the billboard company kept it up for three, and every day on her way to work, my wife made a detour to look at her billboard. That was twenty years ago, and she hasn't asked since if I still love her*. :)

*Just for the record, I do.

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
One of the nicest compliments I've ever received was a date who said, "You're like the Angelina Jolie of BBWs." It has to do with the lips, I think.

... He told me he was jealous of the crumbs that fell into my bra...

I think that's sweet. Once during a movie, I dropped a piece of popcorn, and sure enough it fell right into my bra. It was dark, everyone was watching the movie, I didn't think anyone would notice, so I went in after it. The man I was dating leaned over and said,"Don't. Leave it. I'll have it later."

... I said "Look up." And she did -- and saw, in yard-high letters, "Happy anniversary, Jeanette. I love you more than ever."

Not only is this very romantic, but it's truly nice; what a kind thing to do to help her feel more secure.

Ho Ho Tai

My wife and had both been previously married, and we met on thr rebound. I immediately knew I had picked a winner, and it wasn't very long before I proposed, but she was still pretty bruised (figuratively speaking, thank goodness!). Her ex had apparently lost interest in her and cheated at will, and she was afraid I'd do the same. Even after we were married, she frequently asked, "Do you still love me?" A couple of weeks before our thirteenth anniversary, I spotted a billboard on the main drag that had been blank for several weeks. I called the company and asked if I could rent it. I could. OUr anniversary fell on a weekday that year, and my wife came home from work tired and reluctant to move. I finally cajoled her into going out "to see your anniversary present." She asked why I just didn't go get it, and all I could think to say was "You'll see." We drove into a parking lot just in front of the billboard, and I helped her out of the car. "So where is this present?" she asked. I said "Look up." And she did -- and saw, in yard-high letters, "Happy anniversary, Jeanette. I love you more than ever." I had only rented the space for a month, but the billboard company kept it up for three, and every day on her way to work, my wife made a detour to look at her billboard. That was twenty years ago, and she hasn't asked since if I still love her*. :)

*Just for the record, I do.

Great job, Feelie! I'd like to say it's worthy of Old Ho Ho but I think you surpassed me. It is similar to a Christmas memory that I posted in the Christmas memories thread and re-post in part here.

But the best (here it comes!) was Christmas, 1988. November 25th of that year was the day that Mrs Ho Ho and I knew that we would be 'us' from that day forward. I flew back in mid-December for a brief visit and to discuss how we would "Build our house, chop our wood, and make our garden grow."

On December 25, she had Christmas dinner with her family, excused herself, rushed off to the airport, caught a plane to Boston, and was in my arms by late that evening. I met her, dressed in my best suit and wearing a Santa hat, walked her outside, supposedly to my truck, when she noticed a big white limo parked at the curb with a ribbon across the windshield proclaiming "Welcome Home, (Mrs Ho Ho - substitute her real name here).

Oh, the surprise and delight! We had the driver take us around the city for a while to see the lights until we couldn't stand to wait any more. The driver took us home and we took our party private.

'nuff said about that!

That was truly 'the gift that keeps on giving' - every anniversary, every holiday, every cause for celebration (and that means every day). I may have mentioned (a few hundred times) that this year was our 25th wedding anniversary (the Silver one).

If you got this far, thanks for your patience. Old folks like to tell and re-tell their stories.

Last edited:

Ho Ho Tai

These are so great!

My previous promise was not to flood this thread with my old memories - not until someone else had.

Well . . .

Here's a fragment from an earlier post. Thanks for your patience.

I can't say that it was that easy with Mrs. Ho Ho (and incidentally we celebrate our 25th anniversary this Monday 11/25/2013.

Some of you know our story: working together, the visit, the letter, the phone call, and we're working on 25 years of "happy ever-aftering". But it wasn't that easy, not at all like the poem above. When I realized that I had fallen in love with my old friend (and she with me) I panicked. I was too old for her! I had been her boss! What did she see in me? What could I give her?

She didn't want diamonds and I couldn't afford diamonds anyway. I emptied my pockets of all the pretty stones I had collected over a lifetime and arrayed them before her. She chose intelligence, imagination, humor, loyalty and love. Then she said "and I'll take you too!"

While most of the stones weren't that pretty, she had seen some of them before - the first three when we worked together. She grasped that the other two existed from some writing that I had shared (written during a very lonely time).

And here we are, sitting across from each other, ready to head off to bed, and still very much in love.
__

Deannie

I have red hair and we both grew up liking the Peanuts comic strip. He calls me his little red headed girl.

Angel

no apologies for being me
"I always thought you were pretty."

(I had no idea!)

We hadn't seen each other or had any contact whatsoever in over 14 years with the exception of him having seen me out in public and from a short distance early last summer. I didn't see him then, though. I've thought about him from time to time over the years, and even often the past four years. Three summers ago I drove by where he lived a couple times, but there was no trace of him living there anymore. I've tried to find him online a few times with no luck. I was finishing up last minute Christmas cards the night of Dec. 23 and his name came to mind again. Shortly after midnight on Christmas eve day I found an address that I thought may be his. I wrote a brief message that I had been thinking about him and hoped he was doing well and sent him my phone number - and wrote on the back of the envelope that I hoped that it was him and that I hadn't sent my number to a complete stranger!

He called as soon as he received and read the card. During that first conversation he told me that he had always thought that I was pretty. He had never said anything because when I met him in the spring of 1996 and when I last saw him in Oct or Nov of 2001 I was married. Actually, I was married to someone that was one of his closest friends. My 19 1/2 year marriage ended in Dec 2001 and because of that I lost contact with my secret admirer! It sure was a secret, because I absolutely never had any idea! He was nice and attractive, and a complete gentleman, and I never saw him as anything other than a friend. During the time we knew each other back then he was at my home two to three days/evenings a week. If I knew he was stopping by I would make dinner for him, too. I met his wife and daughter, and his parents, then after his divorce two of his girlfriends; they were welcome in my home, too. His ex and one of the girlfriends were gorgeous! and only slightly chubby.

I never expected the "I always thought you were pretty" because when he knew me all those years ago, he knew me during the time I was at my heaviest weight. Having met his then wife and then later the girlfriends, I would have never thought he would have seen me as attractive because of my size.

We've been talking on the phone quite often since Dec 27, catching up on all that has transpired in each others' lives over the past 14 years. I found out that he and my ex haven't had any contact in over 13 years; that he and two other friends witnessed the mean side of my ex that had previously only been discreetly shown towards me. After 14 years I've got some answers to some unanswered questions I've always wondered about.

I'm being very cautious and taking things very slowly. We finally met again. Twice this past week. While sitting beside each other, with my head leaning onto his chest, and his arm around my shoulder and him caressing my upper arm, I said to him, "This feels good." And he slowly said, "Yes. It does."

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Delighted to hear it -- that's a sweet story.

And I'm glad to see you're doing well; it's been a while since you last posted.

Ho Ho Tai

"I always thought you were pretty."

(I had no idea!)

We hadn't seen each other or had any contact whatsoever in over 14 years with the exception of him having seen me out in public and from a short distance early last summer. I didn't see him then, though. I've thought about him from time to time over the years, and even often the past four years. Three summers ago I drove by where he lived a couple times, but there was no trace of him living there anymore. I've tried to find him online a few times with no luck. I was finishing up last minute Christmas cards the night of Dec. 23 and his name came to mind again. Shortly after midnight on Christmas eve day I found an address that I thought may be his. I wrote a brief message that I had been thinking about him and hoped he was doing well and sent him my phone number - and wrote on the back of the envelope that I hoped that it was him and that I hadn't sent my number to a complete stranger!

He called as soon as he received and read the card. During that first conversation he told me that he had always thought that I was pretty. He had never said anything because when I met him in the spring of 1996 and when I last saw him in Oct or Nov of 2001 I was married. Actually, I was married to someone that was one of his closest friends. My 19 1/2 year marriage ended in Dec 2001 and because of that I lost contact with my secret admirer! It sure was a secret, because I absolutely never had any idea! He was nice and attractive, and a complete gentleman, and I never saw him as anything other than a friend. During the time we knew each other back then he was at my home two to three days/evenings a week. If I knew he was stopping by I would make dinner for him, too. I met his wife and daughter, and his parents, then after his divorce two of his girlfriends; they were welcome in my home, too. His ex and one of the girlfriends were gorgeous! and only slightly chubby.

I never expected the "I always thought you were pretty" because when he knew me all those years ago, he knew me during the time I was at my heaviest weight. Having met his then wife and then later the girlfriends, I would have never thought he would have seen me as attractive because of my size.

We've been talking on the phone quite often since Dec 27, catching up on all that has transpired in each others' lives over the past 14 years. I found out that he and my ex haven't had any contact in over 13 years; that he and two other friends witnessed the mean side of my ex that had previously only been discreetly shown towards me. After 14 years I've got some answers to some unanswered questions I've always wondered about.

I'm being very cautious and taking things very slowly. We finally met again. Twice this past week. While sitting beside each other, with my head leaning onto his chest, and his arm around my shoulder and him caressing my upper arm, I said to him, "This feels good." And he slowly said, "Yes. It does."

This is the stuff from which romance novels are created. Thank goodness this crazy world still has room in it for love.

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
Last week I stopped by a Greek place for lunch and was reading the menu boards and trying to figure out what I wanted. A man came in and looked ready to order, so I told him to go ahead of me. On his way out he stopped by my table to say, "Thank you. I hope you have a wonderful day. You have a really cute smile, by the way." It totally made my day!

Ho Ho Tai

Last week I stopped by a Greek place for lunch and was reading the menu boards and trying to figure out what I wanted. A man came in and looked ready to order, so I told him to go ahead of me. On his way out he stopped by my table to say, "Thank you. I hope you have a wonderful day. You have a really cute smile, by the way." It totally made my day!

At 78 y.o. (maybe at any age) it's hard to compliment a woman by saying what you may be thinking (to yourself - Wow, look at those - breasts, tummy, legs, et c) without feeling and looking like a masher (what they used to call creeps years ago). But I have found that it is nearly always OK to compliment a woman for her big smile. Even if it is just a little one, it will get bigger in no time.

I offer three examples:

An older lady works in a coffee shop in a clinic where we old folks go regularly. Whenever I'm there around noon, I'll head to the coffee shop and ask her for "A cup of that good Peet's coffee, a bagel, and a big smile." And I always get all three.

I tend to present a rather dour visage much of the time, especially in public. I have had the experience of glancing up and catching a woman offering me a big smile. My reflexes aren't quick enough to smile in return but I have occasionally gone up to her, thanked her for the smile, and explained what I just stated. A conversation always ensues . . .

We have Starbuck's incorporated into some of our big box stores. One has a staff that does a particularly good job on the type of espresso drink I enjoy. They have little cup holders that attach to your shopping cart. I think that very few bring them back. The staff collects them at the end of the day. I bring mine back and tell the barista that I will sell it to her very cheap - for a big smile. And, boy, do I get a smile! Sometimes a hug too.

OK - one more.

For years, we have had a cleaning lady of foreign extraction. She is, by nature, a smiling, happy person. In her home country, dental service was rare. She suffered from poor teeth and was hesitant to smile. One day, as we talked in a coffee shop, she forgot herself and beamed a big smile. A young lad, passing through with his mother, happened to see her and said (rather loudly) "Look, mom - she doesn't have any teeth." Unintentionally cruel but honest. She clammed up immediately.

My wife and I decided to do something about that by paying the dental costs to reconstruct her mouth. Now she smiles constantly - a walking lighthouse. My wife and I live by the "pay it forward" principle. Our friend pays it forward by smiling at everyone she meets. How many sad hearts has she lifted?

Latest posts