Quantcast

Help me Choose a Laptop Pleeeeease!!!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
I need a laptop computer and I have a tight budget of no more than £300 (inc delivery if necessary). I will mainly be using it for surfing the net, using msn etc. No fancy schmancy stuff required and I won't be playing games on it. I will still have my desktop pc.

I really know VERY VERY little about laptops so I would be EXTREMELY grateful for some help from any techy-minded people on the forums here. Im in the UK and I have found the following laptops within my budget so far. Are any of these better than the others, are any horribly worse? I will need wireless for the laptop, do any of these already have it? lol. I know im probably being dense....

If anyone knows of any better suggestions within my budget, I'd love to know. Thankyou thankyou in advance!

(I know there are customer ratings for some of them, but heck those people might be as clueless as me)

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/480932/EMACHINES-EME510-1A2G16/tab/reviews#reviews

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5070028/Trail/searchtext>LAPTOP.htm

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1288992832.1225937203@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccejadefijleffkcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=637224&category_oid=

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-0232.aspx

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-4147.aspx

JoyJoy

I can't offer detailed input on any of those, Katie, but what I always do when shopping for a high-dollar item is google it and look for and read as many reviews as possible, by both "experts" and customers. Remember that those who post reviews are usually those who have actually purchased the product, so don't totally discount what they write. CNET.com is a good review site for electronics reviews....see what they have to offer on the models you're looking at.

jeff7005

The first one is definitly the best one having 2 plus gb memory built in most laptops come 512 mb so that saves money having that much memory if not gona play video games stuff is more than plenty the specs shows that it has wifi (Wireless card),plus it has the intel processor wich is good.windows is the latest virgin of windows most people will argue that xp is much better but i got vista is not bad when came out so many softwares werent compatible and you had wait for updates but now everything is prety compatible unless you have an older generation web cam you use with it. its great deal too but i'll if you wait till crhistmas it will be cheaper.

Chimpi

into the shining sun
Each # is respective to the order of links you have provided.

#1 has a slower processor | more memory | the most hard drive space
#2 has a faster processor | lesser memory | lesser hard drive space
#3 has a slower processor | lesser memory | medium hard drive space
#4 has a medium processor | lesser memory | medium hard drive space
#5 has the fastest processor | lesser memory | the most hard drive space

The slower the processor the slower everything runs (but the differences between each of those will be so minimal, especially viewing web pages and using instant messengers).
The lesser amount of memory (and the slower it is) the slower everything runs. The difference in the computers with 2GB of memory and the computers with 1GB of memory will be crucial.
The more amount of hard drive space the better, unless you're not using it for storage purposes. 160GB (as in #1 and #5) is plenty of space, as well as 120GB is (as in #3 and #4). 80GB is not a lot, but probably more than enough for the purposes of which you will be using the computer.

Bottom line - each of those computers will work well enough for you, Miss Ruby. All of them have 15" monitors. All of them have graphics capabilities that will work with what you will be using the computer for. All of them come with Windows Vista which requires at least 1GB of memory for smooth usage; #2, #3, #4 & #5 all only have 1GB of memory - #1 has double that amount (which is great!). All of them have DVD burners. Two of them do not specify (#3 and #4), but I am sure all of them have approximately the same amount of battery life.
PCWorld is the only company name I recognize. I have no idea who Comet, Argos or Tesco Direct are.
I would say #1 & #5 are the best deals overall, although they're both eMachines and I'm not too crazy about eMachines. Though I am not sure brand will matter too much for you as you're not going to be challenging their potential. I would recommend #1 over #5, but the price may weigh you down.

Chimpi

into the shining sun
This page is interesting:
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/series/Netbook-NB100/1058021/

Ignore the first one - Toshiba NB100-11R. I'm talking about the second and third ones on that screen, the Toshiba NB100-128 and the Toshiba NB100-12A.
Those notebooks have a major drawback - 8.9" monitor screen size. However, they're lighter in weight, they come with Windows XP (which requires less memory... although the most amount of memory is NEVER bad), they're TOSHIBA's, they have a 1-Year Warranty (not sure about the 5 you provided), they have decent hard drive space, their batteries last longer (over 1 hour longer than the 5 you provided), built-in camera & microphone, although no DVD Burner, and they're cheaper.

Chimpi

into the shining sun
Think of this extremely general scenario.

You have an athlete and you have a non-athlete.
The athlete = Windows Vista.
The non-athlete = Windows XP.
The processor of a computer = a humans brain.
The memory of a computer = a humans energy.
(And just for fun, the hard drive space of a computer = a humans size... the bigger the better. :p)

An athlete (Windows Vista) doesn't necessarily require a better thinking brain (processor), but definitely requires more energy (memory) than a non-athlete. That's not to say that a better thinking brain (processor) is not better - because it is - but it's not essential to its activity. --(Depending on the sport, of course... but again, I'm in extremely general terms)--
A non-athlete (Windows XP) doesn't necessarily require a better thinking brain (processor) - even though it's always good - and it also does not require as much energy (memory) as an athlete - although the more energy the better.
If you want either the athlete or the non-athlete to work well, more energy is required, and a better thinking brain is a superb bonus, but one is usually more essential than the other.

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
Wow thankyou Joy, Jeff and Chimpi for the advice and info!! I thought I'd have to wait longer for any input!

Comet is a well known chain electrical retailer in the UK - However I wouldn't trust their salesmen as far as I could throw them, based on previous experience. I would however buy that laptop from them, but I just checked online and there are NONE within a hundred miles of me! So I'll call them and see if there ARE any left instore. If I can't get it I'll maybe go for five then?

Argos is a "catalogue shop" which means, you go in, they have catalogues on shelves, you choose your item, then pay at the cash register, get a ticket and you sit and wait til your receipt number is called and your item is brought out. It's a reputable company, which has a GREAT 28 day no quibble return policy, which can be handy.

Tesco is the biggest supermarket in the UK, and theyre trustworthy too.

Chimpi, that Toshiba is really cute!! The only problem for me is that I touchtype, and I find small keyboards very difficult with my chubby fingers, I keep hitting the wrong keys. Im actually not great on fullsize laptop keyboards, but at least key is where my finger thinks it will be :p.

ps. I love you for looking for stuff for me!!! :wubu:

LOL I love the way you described that above!! A non-Athlete would be fine for me im sure, and I've heard that some laptops are loaded with Vista now, while not really being able to cope with it, so they struggle and run slow. I would be perfectly happy with XP if it won't be obsolete for the forseeable future. An ssbbw non-Athlete with good brain power would be nice, therefore, lmao!

JiminOR

Huh huh, it says member
What about one of the ultraportables that have been hitting the market lately?

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-6756.aspx

Not for everybody, but if you're just lugging around a computer to surf the web wherever you want then they're very nice.

edit - it does have a very small keyboard, but most people get used to it after a while.

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
Thanks for your help Jim :) As I said before, with my fat fingers and touchtyping, I really find these tiny things difficult to use. It's for using in my house so I wouldnt have the issue of having to lug it around outside. If I did though, these tiny ones would be tempting, fairy keyboard or not!

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
I know you're looking for laptops, but as a testimony to the emachines one..my desktop is an emachine that we bought in an "emergency" when my old one died. That was about a year ago, so far so good-no problems at all.

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
Thanks Goof! I am not a brand snob, I usually go for cheap brands in most things from necessity, and in my experience they've worked as well as more expensive. Nice to hear a personal opinion of the Emachine brand! I have been able to up my budget to £330 now, so it opens up things a wee bit more. Any more suggestions from people will be gratefully received!

Latest posts