Help Please of the techno variety

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
I am not that literate w/phones.....and have had a Blackberry Curve for a buncha years. I am ready for upgrade, and am heavy into Apple products, but something tells me 'droids are more versatile etc.....I want to know what fellow bhm/FFA think as in Pros/Cons

I posted in The lounge and got no response ...help a gal out por favor

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy
I am not that literate w/phones.....and have had a Blackberry Curve for a buncha years. I am ready for upgrade, and am heavy into Apple products, but something tells me 'droids are more versatile etc.....I want to know what fellow bhm/FFA think as in Pros/Cons

I posted in The lounge and got no response ...help a gal out por favor
can't go wrong with an iphone or a droid. what carrier do you have in your area?

the htc evo is a nice phone (sprint)
verizon has really good droid phones and also the iphone now.
of course at&t has the iphone.

me personally i'm getting the evo and sprint has the best and cheapest deal out there right now. but sprints coverage can sometimes suck. but there is always flaws with every carrier.

i honestly say get whatever one you want imo. go big or go home when it comes to smart phones. my personal top 3 would be the evo, droid incredible and then the iphone.

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy
btw i say techno in the title and totally was thrown a curveball when i read the post. i thought it was going to be about music lol.

uh tiss uh tiss uh tiss uh

Zowie

Zowie-Zilla
I just got myself an LG Optimus One (it's a droid), and I'm loving it. I'm pretty useless with technology, and I haven't had any problems I couldn't resolve with a quick google-search.

My only complaints are: The 'email' app, even though it gives the option of syncing with any email account, didn't support my yahoo.ca address, I had to download the YahooMail app (but it's free and works fine).
The facebook app kind of sucks compared to the iphone version. Not a huge deal, but it bugs my balls off.
And... the touch-keyboard (QWERTY) is a little small, but you can change it to the "numeric" 3-letters per button standard cell keyboard. So if you have fat fingers, I recommend something with actual buttons.

Otherwise, LOVE it. It's my first smartphone. :happy: And it's pretty affordable.

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
wow...reSPONSES...amazing....

Ya i have Verizon..so now the options are endless.....I think I wanna know about the TALK==>TExt thingie..i saw that app demonstrated on a 'Droid and was WOWWWWED.....but not sure the iPhone has the equivalent...is that even possible?

Zoe congrats on YOUR FIRST!!! life is good w/email and the internet a touch away.....

vinarian

Crazy Person
Well to start off with, I'm typing this on my android phone. I prefer android over I phonebecause it's easier to customize...if you don't like one of the stock apps (text, dialer, etc) you can always install a replacement.I'm sure I phone does similar, but out doesn't support desktop widgets (weather facebook status, etc.), not to mention verizon does have a 4g android phone, the I phone is only 3g -and while you might not have 4g in your area yet, keep in mind you are stuck with your new phone for two years. Android is slot more versatile than apple phones. Plus androids phones can have more than one screen size choice, qwerty keyboard, etc. there is only one I phone choice. However, I am obviously an android fanboy - I phone is still a good phone, I just prefer android, I like having my own options for my phone, not just what apple tells me.

FishCharming

derailer extraordinaire!
Well to start off with, I'm typing this on my android phone. I prefer android over I phonebecause it's easier to customize...if you don't like one of the stock apps (text, dialer, etc) you can always install a replacement.I'm sure I phone does similar, but out doesn't support desktop widgets (weather facebook status, etc.), not to mention verizon does have a 4g android phone, the I phone is only 3g -and while you might not have 4g in your area yet, keep in mind you are stuck with your new phone for two years. Android is slot more versatile than apple phones. Plus androids phones can have more than one screen size choice, qwerty keyboard, etc. there is only one I phone choice. However, I am obviously an android fanboy - I phone is still a good phone, I just prefer android, I like having my own options for my phone, not just what apple tells me.
and the new iphones have the new iscrews. apparently the battery in the iphone is non-removable so if your battery goes bad you can't just buy a replacement. previously you could just unscrew the whole phone and take it apart but now apple is using these special screws which only apple certified technicians can get the screwdriver for...

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
and the new iphones have the new iscrews. apparently the battery in the iphone is non-removable so if your battery goes bad you can't just buy a replacement. previously you could just unscrew the whole phone and take it apart but now apple is using these special screws which only apple certified technicians can get the screwdriver for...
pretty much like iPods...but someone in my office watched vids on youtube and ordered the *SPECIAL* tool so she can get in the back and fix the freaking iScrews LMAO....nice terminology

although I just bought a used 80gb iPod on eBay for $100buckaroos....pretty sweet that much memory...I am digging it, especially once i UNLOAD all the freaking hiphop that i would never listen to....

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
I hear alot of guys say exactly THAT...and I am not sure I understand what you mean....I am relatively savvy w/my macs and what not and do get frustrated time to time at the lack of settings or control...must be what you refer to....THE APPLE WAY or no way....catching alot of flack from friends that i am not going iPhone as i have been APPLE friendly since the first computer came out....

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
I am a PC user but my phone is an iPhone 4. It's fantastic. I use it for a ton of everyday uses including like internet, plus the iPod, and I use it for entertainment and the youtube function comes in handy a lot for what I do. I take notes, it's my alarm and calendar, my calculator, and my forecast. The map function has saved my ass so many times it's unbelievable, and I haven't had any problems with reception or service. I'm not an apple freak, but this is the best phoen I've ever had, for purposes far beyodn just havign a phone and texting. If I suddenly had no laptop access I could survive for quite awhile purely on what the phone does, as it covers most of my bare essential computing stuff like internet, IM, and iTunes.

If you want something that is a multifaceted tool, get it. Otherwise, find a cheaper phone with the simple options you do want. I haven't owned an Android, so I can't comment on it, but I can say I love my iPhone and I'm not just an apple fanboy. I'm sure the Androids are great too, and I haven't experienced 4G, but they do have 4G support that the iPhone doesn't have yet. At that point it all becomes what you prefer.

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
I am a PC user but my phone is an iPhone 4. It's fantastic. I use it for a ton of everyday uses including like internet, plus the iPod, and I use it for entertainment and the youtube function comes in handy a lot for what I do. I take notes, it's my alarm and calendar, my calculator, and my forecast. The map function has saved my ass so many times it's unbelievable, and I haven't had any problems with reception or service. I'm not an apple freak, but this is the best phoen I've ever had, for purposes far beyodn just havign a phone and texting. If I suddenly had no laptop access I could survive for quite awhile purely on what the phone does, as it covers most of my bare essential computing stuff like internet, IM, and iTunes.

If you want something that is a multifaceted tool, get it. Otherwise, find a cheaper phone with the simple options you do want. I haven't owned an Android, so I can't comment on it, but I can say I love my iPhone and I'm not just an apple fanboy. I'm sure the Androids are great too, and I haven't experienced 4G, but they do have 4G support that the iPhone doesn't have yet. At that point it all becomes what you prefer.

thanks for that Will...do appreciate to hear of your positive notes.....only owners SING their praise. I have no idea why people LOVE to bash the iPhone so much? one question though...is there an app that you know of that does talk to text so you can drive and text
:happy:

penguin

Fnord
is there an app that you know of that does talk to text so you can drive and text:happy:
I love my iphone too. But this? Just pull over. Even if you're talking into it, you're still using it. Don't use it while driving.

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
I agree. I don't think there's a talk-to-text function, but even if there were, I wouldn't recommend it. The voice recognition feature it does have is a little iffy anyway. I say just do it manually and responsibly. :p

GrowingBoy

I'm not in love either with this phone or the carrier (AT&T). Even though I have the PIN set, which should prevent any apps from running before I log in, the iPod app goes on randomly all the time. Researchers have discovered that this is due to a serious security vulnerability that can allow access to the phone even when it is locked, but Apple hasn't fixed the bug yet. For that reason alone, I can't recommend iPhone 4, but there is more. Battery life in general isn't very good; with WiFi on, it's difficult to get through a work day without recharging.

AT&T coverage on the East Coast is not very good; when I was in Boston I found myself unable to make a phone call quite often. Dropped calls happen all the time, wherever I go.

Then there are the outrageous roaming charges in Europe. I don't even bother to bring the iPhone with me it is so bad, I just bring an unlocked GSM phone and purchase a SIM on arrival.

I haven't even mentioned the antenna issues.

Overall, I'm sorry I purchased the iPhone 4; I had the iPhone 3GS before this and had better reception and none of the multi-tasking bugs, so the iPhone 4 feels like a downgrade.

As soon as my contract is up, I'm going to dump AT&T as well as the iPhone.

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
Just to make a note of it, I have had none of those problems in the last post with mine and have evne left the country with my iPhone and while the temporary change can be annoying it isn't hard to simply minimize such charges by various means.

I have had literally nothing go wrong with my iPhone 4. But I also got it a few months after the initial release like any reasonable person, so it's possible that has something to do with it.

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
SOUNDS like AT&T issues= I have been with verizon for years, and travel via motorcycle to pretty obscure camp grounds. I used to be the one girl that couldn't get reception; NOW I am the one that ALWAYS has reception.

I appreciate the feedback, I get it; it's a very personal thing. It's funny I went to the Verizon store yesterday, and discovered my *EARLY UPGRADE* would cost me $20 to get a pone. NOW.....if I am patient and wait til December for my TRUE upgrade, I am given $50 towards my phone, so in essence $70 less.

I tried em all and really couldn't pick iPhone over that new 4G droid, it is supposed to be 10x faster. How can you say no to that? lol

so in the end...patience and tolerance will have to do :rolleyes:

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.
I know i"m late to the party HD, but the iphone has an AMAZING voice to text app called "Dragon Dictation."

After a couple hours of messing with it over all, the only thing I found that bugged me, was punctuation. it couldn't quite understand that I was pausing because it never entered in any punctuation for me.

luvbigfellas

Has lips like morphine
I've personally never had a problem with AT&T's reception. Of course, I haven't had a real "smartphone" since the Palm Centro. I've heard good things about Android phones, though.

BLUEeyedBanshee

Ministry of Truth
I have an Android phone and I love it. Though, I'm a little attached to it (I do that sometimes with certain devices) and when they stopped making the updates for my phone (the HTC Hero) I had my guy root it. Which a friend of mine said I should have done immediately anyway to be free with it and blah blah blah. Whatever, all I know is that I can still update the OS to the most current version, and keep my Hero.

I haven't used an iPhone so comparison, I can't do. I have friends that love theirs and other friends that love their Androids. As for the talk to text stuff, my guy uses that on his and I think he has the G2 now, whatever it is, it's through T mobile and he likes it.