Hi.. Is anyone into photography?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

jakemcduck

I'm into photography, I just wish I had more time to devote to learning the craft. I recently got a Canon G3X to replace my 5D MKII. I wish I had a tutor to save me the trouble of trying to figure it out on my own.

Rojodi

I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me return to photography; I assisted an art professor for a few years in college do some work on coffee table book shoots.

She's afraid I'll go to the mountains and the beach without her

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
As the owner of about 20 Nikons dating from 1959- now I really need to get going again. I have a freezer full of film and all the chemicals along with a nice high end scanner.
Those are beautiful! And yes, i’m going to write it: I’m a fan of the fan.

The following is Not Mine, done by a good friend a decade or so ago, who himself is/was a skilled photographer. Joker’s bridge pic reminded me of this one:
metal bridge.jpeg

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
Locating my friend Aaron’s central California bridge picture a few hours ago revealed a Major Hole in my digital file archiving system: i found a number of photographs on a 22-year-old Mac with its 22-year-old hard drive which were not part of the main photo archive. (We’ll save discussion of how and why this 1998 Power Mac remains fully set up and connected on cold standby for another time, or never.)

As a photographer, i fall into the average/mediocre category, leading me to prefer admiring the impressive works of those of you with greater skills/practice/interest rather than posting any of mine. Nevertheless this is Dimensions, so a roughly 20 year old photo of a BBW might be worth posting, even if not outstanding in execution. More so sitting in a 1960s muscle car, given the auto aficionados who sometimes frequent this site.

To fully appreciate these pictures, one needs to understand the back story of the BBW at the wheel. This is my then-True Love who in later years demoted herself to housemate/ex (and is sitting in the other room doing her thing on her weekend this very moment as i type), about whom i’ve written several times: the multiple anniversaries hirsute one. Originally from Maine, she is by choice and nature the antithesis of glamor, glitziness, and/or girliness: her true nature is a loose-fitting t-shirt and other work clothes, out in the garden working with plants, with soil under her short nails. When she and i moved from California’s San Francisco Bay Area to my maternal grandparents’ final home in Pasadena (they were out of the picture), we decided it would be funny to borrow my parents’ 1965 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible, have her glam up as much as she could stand (which wasn’t much: no cosmetics, which i’ve always admired about her), and drive out as close as we could get to the Hollywood sign, to get a picture of her for that year’s holiday greeting card, implying that since the move she’d gone all glam and “Hollywood”.

For those of you who are still awake after reading all that, here’s the final greeting card (with our actual given names cut off) after i Photoshopped it all up:
Hollywood Siber! with text cropped.jpg
She had a thing about bird ornaments at the time, hence those. The tree in the background was our ersatz holiday tree that year, covered with her bird ornaments.

Here’s the original photo, before editing:
021_19.JPG