Hi.. Is anyone into photography?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Cosmic~Wombat

What makes this great is that we can all see others photos and get ideas. I am a sucker for Cats, Dogs, Sunsets and ANYTHING REFLECTION!!!

I know I am new here but I thank you all for the nice welcome.

rainyday

Departed
Beautiful shots, folks.

For the auto power-off, there's an "off" setting in the tools menu. You can also set it to be 15, 8, 4, 2, or 1 minutes or 30 seconds. Page 95 of the manual, if you've still got it handy. If you're doing remote shots, I would think 15 minutes should be good enough...then no more flushed face shots. :)
Thank you! I must have missed that. You just made my life easier lol.

Well bummer. I think Amazon must have figured out the price difference. :( I just went into my back orders, and I paid $17.94 for the RC-1 remote but now at the same link they're charging $27.99. It's not listed in two different places any more either.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004WCIC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATrueFA

I've got the RC-1 remote also for my 300D, I think that remote works on pretty much all Digital Rebel cameras... The ac adapter comes in handy also for doing hours of tripod pics (like for selling stuff on Fleabay). My 300D also lets you adjust or shut off the auto off feature..

Dave

Cat

Gone baby gone
Thank you! I must have missed that. You just made my life easier lol.

Well bummer. I think Amazon must have figured out the price difference.
Darn! Well, I'll keep an eye out for the cheaper price.
I just tried the other Canon remotes with the XTI, no luck.

Happy to help with the auto shut-off. Now, if we can just figure out how to get the preview to work! :)

Cat

Gone baby gone
If any of you are into making a little extra moola, you can try selling your photos at Istockphoto. This is a link to my portfolio on there.
I think ~serious~ photographers can make much more money than someone like me who only uploads photos from time to time. Also, the more downloads you sell, the more your commission per photo download becomes.
I've only sold about $150 on here over the past year and a half, but for a completely passive way of making money, it's not toooo bad. It's far more fun than anything.
Oh, also for designers who need inexpensive stock photography, Istock is pretty neat. I use it for work a LOT since it's only a few dollars per download. That's especially handy when clients request 5 different "looks" to pick from and only choose one for production.

ATrueFA

I had checked into the LCD preview before. Canon DSLR cameras use a pentamirror that selects whether the image goes to the viewfinder or the imaging array it can't do both at once. It defaults to the viewfinder and only switches to the array when the pic is actually taken thats why the viewfinder goes blank for the instant the pic is being taken.
Apparently the pro models (10D, 20D etc) have a mirror lock-up function that can allow LCD preview (at the expense of the viewfinder)

the Xti is a 400d the newer 10mp version of my 6.3mp 300D and they are functionally very similar. I'd love to upgrade to one but just can't justify it as yet...:)

Dave

Cosmic~Wombat

If any of you are into making a little extra moola, you can try selling your photos at Istockphoto. This is a link to my portfolio on there.
I think ~serious~ photographers can make much more money than someone like me who only uploads photos from time to time. Also, the more downloads you sell, the more your commission per photo download becomes.
I've only sold about $150 on here over the past year and a half, but for a completely passive way of making money, it's not toooo bad. It's far more fun than anything.
Oh, also for designers who need inexpensive stock photography, Istock is pretty neat. I use it for work a LOT since it's only a few dollars per download. That's especially handy when clients request 5 different "looks" to pick from and only choose one for production.
We have used istock in the past but have found better options for us in the last few years. Congrats on selling them and here is what we have done in the past.

We go to the local towns take photographs and then offer them for sale to the local magazines and the local chambers. The chambers are quick to lay down a few hundred bucks for a nice photo that makes them look like a town that people would like to visit.

When Cosmic Jans gets home I will get the links to our other stock photography sites that Cat should kick butt with those.

Fairia

Blimpgirl = superheroine
I've taken a few scenic pics and I'm really proud of that are saved in my photo album.

Cosmic~Wombat

I've taken a few scenic pics and I'm really proud of that are saved in my photo album.
You should have a look at flickr.com it is a yahoo company and it is free (limited space but still impressive) it is a great spot to learn about photography and tricks and about cameras. I know there are other sites but as far as it goes.. flickr tops them from what I have found and nothing is ever deleted :)

I feel like an ad for them but they rock and do keep us out of trouble and that is a hard thing to do!!!

Blessings all and again.. thank you all for making me feel welcome.

Cosmic~Wombat

In this day and age of "everyone has a digital camera" lets post some photos that we have taken.. share ideas and tips

metalheadFA

Setting fire to memories
Im a keen photographer focusing on industrial imagery then juxtaposing it with nature, unfortunatley my camera has been broke for months and all my pics went bye byes with my old computer... poo
I love that shot by Cosmic Wombat though!

liz (di-va)

My day job is as a photo editor at a newspaper, so I do like photography--a lot. Have started collectin prints a bit when I can from some of my fav photogs. I'm in between cameras, though, so I'm reading your suggestions with interest.

And Cat -- we use iStock as one of our stock sources quite often! I think it's great you do it; you're right, you *never* know what people will need a photo of, truly, so you might as well put yours up there.

Cosmic~Wombat

I have series of this fella hunting that catfish, this is my favorite. Took me about 2 hours of following it around our back yard to get it.

Latest posts