Quantcast

Home Remedies

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

SocialbFly

I am keeping Tina!
I do the clear nail polish on bites too, it works like a charm. Also those clothes that run, put some clear nail polish on a hole and it will stop it from running, but do it on the inside of the fabric, i would rather have a small hole than a small hole and a run, lol..

BubbleButtBabe

No one cares anyway
To lessen the pain of wasp stings mix enough adolph's meat tenderizer with water to make a paste..Apply it to the sting and wait until it stops throbbing before rinsing off..It will pull the stinger and poison out of the sting..

This really works..I got hit by a yellow jacket one day in the face..Took it on the chin as a matter of fact..Use the adolph's and it stopped the sting and my chin did not swell..

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
To lessen the pain of wasp stings mix enough adolph's meat tenderizer with water to make a paste..Apply it to the sting and wait until it stops throbbing before rinsing off..It will pull the stinger and poison out of the sting..

This really works..I got hit by a yellow jacket one day in the face..Took it on the chin as a matter of fact..Use the adolph's and it stopped the sting and my chin did not swell..
I use bleach and it works like a charm.

SilkyAngela

runs with scissors
We have been using Tea Tree Oil in my home for the last couple of years for minor skin irritation and blemishes. Apply with a q-tip to affected area. Works well on bumpies after they have popped. We actually used it on the areas my daughter had MRSA skin infections and the heal time was cut by more than half and it reduced the scars left behind. Great stuff you can get at most drug stores that carry herbs and supliments.

goldendiamondeyes

goldendiamoneyes
Things I Just learned the hard way:

Maintain high acidity in your liquid diet to prevent bladder infections. Acidity from cranberry juice or baking soda (1tsp in 8oz of water) will kill those bad germs and help drive them out. Don't do both at the same time, though, one or the other.

Add lemon to the 8oz. of water you drink ever hour while infected.

Use active culture acidophilous tablets like candy while on 2 different antibiotics.
I find that Alka Seltzer works great......at first signs of infection.

Dorinda

I'm forty-six and still have problems with ear infections...have been told it's due to a dairy allergy. True enough, I feel the difference.

BubbleButtBabe

No one cares anyway
I just heard these two today and the woman that told me swears that they both work..

First one is to put a bar of Ivory soap under your bottom sheet to help with leg cramps..Also you can shave Ivory soap,put the shavings in a sock and put it on muscle aches and pains..The lady swore that this worked wonders..

Second use Vick's vapor to rub on the soles of your feet when you have a bad cough,it clear the cough in no time..

kanskfish

Hydrogen peroxide...the weak 3% version, will remove blood from clothes and furniture...you know, when you "leak" during that time and leave spots? Pour some peroxide directly on the spill, leave it for a minute as it fizzies up and then you whipe it with a damn cloth...works wonders!!!
Cold water does the same thing

Green Eyed Fairy

Funky Faerie Queene
These seem health related...

No More Mosquitoes
Place a dryer sheet in your pocket.
It will keep the mosquitoes away.

Use a wet cotton ball or Q-tip to pick up the small shards of glass you can't see easily.

Goodbye Fruit Flies
To get rid of pesky fruit flies, take a small glass, fill it 1/2' with Apple Cider Vinegar
and 2 drops of dish washing liquid; mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the
cup and gone forever!

Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it 'home,' can't
digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if it rains, but it works
and you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

Peppers with 3 bumps on the bottom are sweeter and better for eating.
Peppers with 4 bumps on the bottom are firmer and better for cooking

Add a teaspoon of water when frying ground beef.
It will help pull the grease away from the meat while cooking

KendraLee

Things I Just learned the hard way:

Maintain high acidity in your liquid diet to prevent bladder infections. Acidity from cranberry juice or baking soda (1tsp in 8oz of water) will kill those bad germs and help drive them out. Don't do both at the same time, though, one or the other.

Add lemon to the 8oz. of water you drink ever hour while infected.

Use active culture acidophilous tablets like candy while on 2 different antibiotics.
a glass of warm water with a couple tsps apple cidar vinegar and and a tsp of honey helps with the acidity too. This drink also helps with inflammation due to arthritis. My Grandmother swore by it and from my own experience it does work. It apparently also helps burn fat but its not like its going to make you drop major weight.

Olive oil mixed with ground coffee is a great exfoliant for your face and body. Of course you'll need to wash it off with a soap afterwards

whipped egg whites that you apply to your face and let dry about 15-20 minutes help to tighten up the skin on your face and your pores. can be drying though so moisturize.

cucumbers on the eyes really do help with puffiness and its a natural astringent.

and the cheapest way I've found to whiten my teeth is to just rinse with a little peroxide. Just dont swallow

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it 'home,' can't
digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if it rains, but it works
and you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

Or, if you cannot contemplate genocide with equanimity, soak a cotton ball in peppermint oil and put it where the ants congregate. It smells nice to humans but apparently not to ants: they will leave immediately.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
1. If you get an ear ache or an ear infection a cure you can do at home is to get some polysporin antibiotic ointment from Walmart + get the kind with a pain relieving ingredient too. (You can get the generic and save money.) Put a little on a Q-tip and insert the ointment into your ear canal. The antibiotics will most likely stop the infection and the pain relieving component will stop the hurt. This works instantly. You may have to apply it a couple of times tho over a period of hours.

2. After a child or adult comes out of a swimming pool or a lake (where they have gotten water in their ear), drop a small amount of rubbing alcohol into the ear. Then gently tilt the ear to the side and let the alcohol drip out. The alcohol will dry quickly and also helps to dry any contaminated water that got into the ear canal and keeps down ear infections. I have done this in my own ears for years and had excellent results. I carry a little plastic bottle of rubbing alcohol in my gym bag all the time.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
A lady I worked with told me that used coffee grounds put on an ant hill for a few days will get rid of the ants. AND IT WORKS.

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
I once had bronchitus for like..9 months. We couldn't get rid of it with antibiotics or anything. I bought a health book (sorry can't even remember the author or name) and it said to take high doses of Vitamin C that contain Bioflavanoids. She said that it's impossible to overdose on Vitamin C, that when your body has had enough, it will make you go to the bathroom. She called it a Vitamin C flush. Every day i'd do this flush thingy..and in two weeks i was over the bronchitus that they couldn't get me over in 9 months with antibiotics. From what i understand, the Vitamin C has to have bioflavanoids though. The only place i've found those types of Vitamin C is in the health stores.

She also said that Caffeine and Nicotine will deplete your body of Vitamin C..so people who use those a lot will have to take higher doses of the C

Risible

Monkey Daze
A lady I worked with told me that used coffee grounds put on an ant hill for a few days will get rid of the ants. AND IT WORKS.
We don't like to use insecticides (though I do Black Flag the ants that on occasion invade the house), so we usually just leave the ant colonies alone, though in the veg garden they're a nuisance, and they have aphid nurseries in the fruit/citrus trees. So if we were to put coffee grounds at the source of the colony, do they move their colony, or does it kill them?

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
We don't like to use insecticides (though I do Black Flag the ants that on occasion invade the house), so we usually just leave the ant colonies alone, though in the veg garden they're a nuisance, and they have aphid nurseries in the fruit/citrus trees. So if we were to put coffee grounds at the source of the colony, do they move their colony, or does it kill them?
I don't know. Didn't see any dead ones, but they tend to take things back into the nest anyway, so you seldom just see them dead lying around.

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
I used to get colds all the time that would linger for weeks. Now that I follow this formula, I almost never get them, and when I do, they're milder, and only hang around a few days.

1. Drink green tea. Best to do this as maintenance therapy. This is my main beverage. I don't drink coffee, and hardly ever soda or juice. High quality tea (loose leaf) doesn't need sugar either. Since I've started doing this, I come down with a 3rd of the colds I used to. When I do get sick, I up my intake.

2. When you feel the early signs that you're coming down with something (achy, sore throat, whatever), eat raw garlic. Twice a day, at least one clove, two is better, and preferably on an empty stomach. It's gotta be raw. If you want, mince the garlic and let it sit for 10 minutes. This eliminates the gassiness people sometimes get with garlic.

DISCLAIMER - this step is not fun. It stings your mouth, and then after a few minutes, it feels someone dropped a lead ball in your stomach. So brace yourself if you try it. (A chaser of bread or milk helps soothe things) But I've found it to be the most important step. And for me, 10 minutes of discomfort instead of days to weeks of grappling with a cold is an exchange I'll make everytime.

3*. Gargle salt water. I think it only helps a little bit, but doesn't hurt.

All of these things (with exception of tea) work best to fight off the cold. Once you're a few days into it, sleep and fluids are your only hope. :(

Latest posts