Quantcast

Home Remedies

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
*holds nose* I'm sure that this helps because i have heard wonderful things about garlic ...but ...i bet you're a stinky pete for a day or two lol

A less stinky option hehe, I've found that when the symptoms are coming on that zicam helps bunches. It usually reduces the symptoms and duration considerably for me.

*edit* though i suppose it wouldn't really be a home remedy

eat raw garlic.

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
*holds nose* I'm sure that this helps because i have heard wonderful things about garlic ...but ...i bet you're a stinky pete for a day or two lol
OK, a couple of caveats for the garlic-odor averse among us. Yes, it is best to do this when you're not planning on being around anyone else for the next 20 minutes or so. Right before bed works well, assuming you sleep alone, like me. (Thanks for that reminder of my crushing singlehood, by the way...I can't stop crying now :p) After that, normal teeth-brushing, mouth-freshener rules apply. I prefer ginger flavored hard candies. Haven't had any complaints, and the people I run with (especially my take-no-crap younger sister) would tell me if I stank, I'm pretty sure.

But even if one insists there will be evidence of the garlic consumption, I still think that's far better to be around that than someone who's coughing and sneezing everywhere. Garlic beats snot anyday.The two of you have gotten me thinking about ways to optimize things though. Maybe I'll chew some rosemary sprigs after garlic next time. They always seem to go well together...

Risible

Monkey Daze
OK, a couple of caveats for the garlic-odor averse among us. Yes, it is best to do this when you're not planning on being around anyone else for the next 20 minutes or so. Right before bed works well, assuming you sleep alone, like me. (Thanks for that reminder of my crushing singlehood, by the way...I can't stop crying now :p) After that, normal teeth-brushing, mouth-freshener rules apply. I prefer ginger flavored hard candies. Haven't had any complaints, and the people I run with (especially my take-no-crap younger sister) would tell me if I stank, I'm pretty sure.

But even if one insists there will be evidence of the garlic consumption, I still think that's far better to be around that than someone who's coughing and sneezing everywhere. Garlic beats snot anyday.The two of you have gotten me thinking about ways to optimize things though. Maybe I'll chew some rosemary sprigs after garlic next time. They always seem to go well together...
You mentioned eating the garlic with an empty stomach, followed by a bread chaser. So, would rubbing the raw garlic on toasted bread work? 'Cause that's good stuff right there.

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
I'm sleeping alone myself for a while...we can cry together lol

The garlic post actually just reminded me of my Aunt. She used to take garlic capsules daily and i guess some people digest things differently maybe... or maybe it was cuz she'd do it every day, but one of us had to break down and tell her that her breath was less than pleasant hehe. She changed over to the odorless garlic capsules after that..problem solved hehe

Right before bed works well, assuming you sleep alone, like me. (Thanks for that reminder of my crushing singlehood, by the way...I can't stop crying now :p) After that, normal teeth-brushing, mouth-freshener rules apply. I prefer ginger flavored hard candies. Haven't had any complaints, and the people I run with (especially my take-no-crap younger sister) would tell me if I stank, I'm pretty sure.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane

Sure, try the guilt. It won't work, but you can try it. LOL

Did I mention I can't cook without garlic?

Risible

Monkey Daze
Me too, Jane. Garlic and onions - in every savory dish I make. My Zyliss garlic chopper has seen ten thousand cloves (probably more).

I can't remember the last time I had a cold - it's been years. Even when Mango was staying with us a few weeks ago, and he brought the dread Memorial Day Bash cold/flu with him (Chuck caught it from him), I escaped unscathed.

Tracy

Fat & Sassy
If you have silver jewelry that has tarnished you can take an old rag and rub lipstick on the rag then polish the jewelry then wipe clean it will take off the tarnish color and the silver will sparkle.

Isa

In search of....
A less stinky option hehe, I've found that when the symptoms are coming on that zicam helps bunches. It usually reduces the symptoms and duration considerably for me.

*edit* though i suppose it wouldn't really be a home remedy
Hey you purchased and took it home, that counts to me. :D

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
omg i caught that god awful cold/flu thing too!!! avoiding stuff like that alone is worth eating raw garlic...that was the worst flu i've had in a long time!!

I can't remember the last time I had a cold - it's been years. Even when Mango was staying with us a few weeks ago, and he brought the dread Memorial Day Bash cold/flu with him (Chuck caught it from him), I escaped unscathed.

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
i forgot to mention that there is a mentionable side effect lol

it seems that some people who use the zicam mouth spray lose their taste buds for life...and some who use the zicam nose spray lose their sense of smell for life....or at least i've heard that before...here i am spreading rumors again lol

I've never had a problem with it and Bruce uses it as well...though i suppose that doesn't mean anyone else wouldn't have problems.

Hey you purchased and took it home, that counts to me. :D

buttbooger

for skin yeast infections, poor some apple cider vinagar (about a cup) into your bath (no soaps or bubbles, just water). Relax in your tub as usual. * DO NOT use white vinagar-that aggravates yeast infections.

Diarhhea-1 cup of boiled hot water with 3 tablespoons of nutmeg. You can sweeten it if you want.

Burns-put fresh onion on it to stop the burning.

to keep flies away; nail a ziplock bag full of water with a penny in it, in your doorway.

for mosquito bites, ant bites, chigger bites, bedbug bites, other itchy welped up bites; dab toothpaste on them to draw out poison. You can do the same with pimples.

bee stings-after stinger is removed; mix water with baking soda and stick body part in it to draw out bee venom and stinginess.

to reduce body fluid build up- 1 full cup of water or hot tea with half a cup of Apple cider vinagar.

Headaches-hot bath with lavender pedels(cant spell that word, sorry)-the aroma will both relax you and take away headache

When I can remember more remedies, I'll let yall know!

Green Eyed Fairy

Funky Faerie Queene
for skin yeast infections, poor some apple cider vinagar (about a cup) into your bath (no soaps or bubbles, just water). Relax in your tub as usual. * DO NOT use white vinagar-that aggravates yeast infections.

Diarhhea-1 cup of boiled hot water with 3 tablespoons of nutmeg. You can sweeten it if you want.

Burns-put fresh onion on it to stop the burning.

to keep flies away; nail a ziplock bag full of water with a penny in it, in your doorway.

for mosquito bites, ant bites, chigger bites, bedbug bites, other itchy welped up bites; dab toothpaste on them to draw out poison. You can do the same with pimples.

bee stings-after stinger is removed; mix water with baking soda and stick body part in it to draw out bee venom and stinginess.

to reduce body fluid build up- 1 full cup of water or hot tea with half a cup of Apple cider vinagar.

Headaches-hot bath with lavender pedels(cant spell that word, sorry)-the aroma will both relax you and take away headache

When I can remember more remedies, I'll let yall know!

Some of these are quite interesting- thanks!

I have heard people talk about a "apple cider vinegar" diet- saying it makes people lose a lot of weight. Kind of interesting to read it as a remedy to reduce fluid buildup - makes me think that diet really isn't a diet..... ;)

I have a book of common household items that can be used for many things......I will have to browse it for some of the home remedies in it.

rainyday

Departed
Interesting list, especially the apple cider ones.

Note about the nutmeg one--Nutmeg can be toxic in non-culinary amounts because it contains myristicin and other compounds. (Most recipes call for 1/4 teaspoon or so.) This isn't the most academic source, but it gives a quick rundown. Pregnant women should probably be especially careful.

Sorry, don't mean to diss your suggestion. Just wanted to make you aware of the possible side effects.

raynemohrmann

Hi... Sam

Thank you for sharing us. i read that information it is very useful nice topic. you are giving Very interesting information and thank you again..

truebebeblue

Balls,I kicks em.
ear infections!

My best friend had horrible recurring ear infections and went to an ENT
this is the regimen he gave her. Works SERIOUSLY.

No q-tips,Once a week pour a little peroxide in each ear let sit a minute or two then turn head over and empty repeat on other side... my gramma used to call this "boiling your ears out" what? we are country!

Then at first sign of ear infection use a mixture of half peroxide and half distilled vinegar. Sometimes this is a bit uncomfortable/painful at the first dose but do it twice a day and within 24 hours I always see improvement. This has worked
when my nephews ear was nearly swollen shut.

Lice- tea tree oil (I poor a small bottle in a full bottle of cheap shampoo)
Shake before applying then condition and use a pincomb.
This worked after over a month of trying over the counter stuff.
There is also a preventative spray that is a mix of a few oils that is supposed to ward off lice. Parents spray it on before school etc...

True

Green Eyed Fairy

Funky Faerie Queene
ear infections!

My best friend had horrible recurring ear infections and went to an ENT
this is the regimen he gave her. Works SERIOUSLY.

No q-tips,Once a week pour a little peroxide in each ear let sit a minute or two then turn head over and empty repeat on other side... my gramma used to call this "boiling your ears out" what? we are country!

Then at first sign of ear infection use a mixture of half peroxide and half distilled vinegar. Sometimes this is a bit uncomfortable/painful at the first dose but do it twice a day and within 24 hours I always see improvement. This has worked
when my nephews ear was nearly swollen shut.

Lice- tea tree oil (I poor a small bottle in a full bottle of cheap shampoo)
Shake before applying then condition and use a pincomb.
This worked after over a month of trying over the counter stuff.
There is also a preventative spray that is a mix of a few oils that is supposed to ward off lice. Parents spray it on before school etc...

True
Back when this thread was new, I also put in a home remedy for lice. The homemade stuff always seems to be more reliable than the expensive rid brand.

MizzSnakeBite

Taking a Break From Here
I don't know if this one has been mentioned, but use toothpaste on a pimple to get it to heal quickly. You'll also have a minty fresh face too. :p

It really does work. :)

Quincy

Had verrucas on my foot and tried tea tree oil mixed with bergamot oil and it did the trick!

Green Eyed Fairy

Funky Faerie Queene
I don't know if this one has been mentioned, but use toothpaste on a pimple to get it to heal quickly. You'll also have a minty fresh face too. :p

It really does work. :)
Never heard this one before but definitely sounds like an easy one to try :)

Tea bags that have been seeped in boiling water and allowed to cool off are good to use on extraction sites when you have a tooth pulled.