How cold is it?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ho Ho Tai

It's so cold that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
and "It's so cold here that the hookers downtown are charging $20 to blow on your hands."

Love 'em both. It is a year since these were posted. MN has been quite warm for MN - until now. But there is an old joke that makes the rounds every year: "It's so cold in Duluth that the flashers just describe themselves."

bigmac

That's just the difference between an El Niño winter and a La Niña winter.

Yes I know. On Christmas day 1986 (El Nino) I took my motorcycle out and drove around the warm dry streets of Edmonton Alberta. A couple of years later it was -57 f one morning. I also got to observe California's 1997/98 floods (another El Nino year).

CleverBomb

On Space Out
In southern California people were wearing light jackets yesterday -- global warming must be a hoax. :(
Actually, it's been chilly here, into the 40s in some places.
It's almost a crisis.
Fortunately someone discovered a long-forgotten safety measure put in place by our forefathers: it's actually possible to move your air conditioner's setting the other direction and make it put out heat. We never thought it would come to this, though.

bigmac

I'm hanging out in Ventura County this week. Its pretty hilarious listening to people bitch about how cold it is when its actually 64 degrees. :doh:

swamptoad

Finally got another cool front. Its currently 53 degrees in my neck of the woods of Louisiana!

RabbitScorpion

vienna carrier-no venom
Last night it was 36¤ (2¤C) - about average for this time of year......

But with the windchill, -458¤ (a little milder, for those whose rooves weren't blown into Lake Erie).

MattB

Epicurean
Miracle over. -10c (-18c windchill) right now and a snowstorm. First round of shoveling is done (thanks a lot Mr. Plow) and second round will either be later today or tomorrow morning. Up to 30cms expected.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
gonna be 21F here tonight. :eek:

my poor plants are gonna freezer burn. :(

canadianbbw4u

Here is my weather.... BRRRRRRR

Sat Evening
Mainly clear
-28°C /-18.4F

Feels like: -32c / -25.6F

POP: 0%
Snow: -
Wind: 5 km/h S
Wind gust: -
Humidity: 69%

Hourly Forecast
hourly-weather-forecast

Sat Overnight
Partly cloudy
-31°C
Feels like: -38c/ -36.4F

Humidity: 62%

Hourly Forecast
hourly-weather-forecast

Sun Morning
Mainly sunny
-31°C
Feels like: -40c = -40F

Wind: 10 km/h S
Humidity: 68%

Hourly Forecast
hourly-weather-forecast

Sun Afternoon
Mainly sunny
-

Ho Ho Tai

Here is my weather.... BRRRRRRR

Sat Evening
Mainly clear
-28°C /-18.4F

Feels like: -32c / -25.6F

Humidity: 69%

Hourly Forecast
hourly-weather-forecast

Sat Overnight
Partly cloudy
-31°C
Feels like: -38c/ -36.4F

Humidity: 62%

Hourly Forecast
hourly-weather-forecast

Sun Morning
Mainly sunny
-31°C
Feels like: -40c = -40F

Wind: 10 km/h S
Humidity: 68%

Hourly Forecast
hourly-weather-forecast

Sun Afternoon
Mainly sunny
-
For my money (as little of it as there is) the best weather person in the area is Paul Douglas - better than Punxsutawney Phil but not as good as the farmers' almanac. He is not on local TV but does forecasts for business and published a daily blog entry in the local paper. His latest:
Fun With Negative Numbers: Wind Chill Advisory Today - Wind Chill Warning Tomorrow?

This excerpt triggered memories:

"The first half of meteorological winter was tame, based on the Winter Misery Index, which factors snow and extreme cold. 2 winters ago we grappled with an extended "polar vortex" - but the harshest winters came during the 60s and 70s; not just days but WEEKS of subzero cold."

I remember them well. Those bitter stretches are when I did my wood splitting. The wood I cut in the fall was dry and cold enough to split at the touch of a (well-aimed) axe. But I was in my 30s and 40s then.

MattB

Epicurean
-8c, 'feels like -16c'...

...but it feels even colder than that. There's an angry winter wind. The kind that cuts right through you without a second thought. I was outside just recently running an errand, and the sound of the wind was all around me. It sounds like a predatory animal, growling, and you can't see where it's coming from. Biting. This is true Canadian cold. If you do not find shelter for the night, you will perish. Being outside in this lethal environment is pure tomfoolery...

Why was I out there?

ICE! I had to buy ice! Can you believe this crap? I froze my giblets to go and buy ice!

You can't make this stuff up folks...

Latest posts