How cold is it?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
-8c, 'feels like -16c'...

...but it feels even colder than that. There's an angry winter wind. The kind that cuts right through you without a second thought. I was outside just recently running an errand, and the sound of the wind was all around me. It sounds like a predatory animal, growling, and you can't see where it's coming from. Biting. This is true Canadian cold. If you do not find shelter for the night, you will perish. Being outside in this lethal environment is pure tomfoolery...

Why was I out there?

ICE! I had to buy ice! Can you believe this crap? I froze my giblets to go and buy ice!

You can't make this stuff up folks...

I couldn't rep you, but that was priceless.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
it is a weird time of year for us here now. it was 60ish today. going to be like 66 tomorrow. we are due rain later in the week and by friday we are going to be back in the mid 40's for the day and near freezing at night.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I post this as the worst day we have coming up out of the next four, temperature-wise. This is not unusual for Ottawa in February, but if the long term forecast is to be believed it's actually going to get mild again next week. Best winter ever!!!

Edit- Overnight it's actually supposed to get to -38 with the windchill. I believe I will be staying in tomorrow...

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
oh my gosh! how do cars function when it is that cold? does everyone just stay in?

well, now i feel bad complaining that it is going to barely get 32 here today and tomorrow. we are due some snow/freezing rain....

PolarKat

Digital Sun tanning
oh my gosh! how do cars function when it is that cold? does everyone just stay in?

well, now i feel bad complaining that it is going to barely get 32 here today and tomorrow. we are due some snow/freezing rain....

:) -17F(-27C) this morning here (North of Montreal) was quite a bit colder last night.. Cold isn't the worst part.. its snowed last night as well, and this stuff is just powder.. so trying to shovel it, is not fun.. just blows snow dust everywhere..

Cars get a bit tough to start in this weather, diesels absolutely need to have their block heaters plugged in, or the won't start..

When you've lived with it all your life you just get used to it.. Most people will tend to stay in on weather like this.. but I already see kids skating on the (frozen) river near my house, along with a few people.. "snowfering" (it's like wind-sailing but on ice) It's mainly about dressing right.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod

I planned on staying in yesterday, but ended up going out for some errands. It hurts to be outside on a day like that. Covering exposed skin is mandatory if you plan to be out for more than a few minutes.

This is what I woke up to yesterday morning, but overall this has been a great winter...

Latest posts