How do you de-stress?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
life is uber stressful at the moment and I feel bored with all my usual tactics to de-stress (crochet, writing, dancing, walking, baking, drawing)....so give me ideas. :D

And don't tell me have sex or get myself off or any of that stuff, that's one of the obvious ones. :p

penguin

Fnord
DimensionsModel
I was incredibly stressed and worked up yesterday thanks to issues with the ex, and after I'd vented a LOT to friends about what he was doing (he has our daughter this weekend, for her first weekend visit), I eventually sat down and played some Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country. That helped.

CPProp

A red hot shower and a couple of glasses of the Scots nectar (but I would not recommend the latter)

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
I lose myself in books.. movies or immerse myself into a craft. I unwind every evening for the last few weeks with multiple episodes of Grey's Anatomy. (instant netflix)

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
Thanks peeps!! All excellent suggestions! I actually have about 8 books I want to read..that would be a good place to start. With wine. Lots of wine. At a bar. With hot young men. And live music. And make the wine a jack and ginger instead...heehee ..ok seriously...books....

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Thanks peeps!! All excellent suggestions! I actually have about 8 books I want to read..that would be a good place to start. With wine. Lots of wine. At a bar. With hot young men. And live music. And make the wine a jack and ginger instead...heehee ..ok seriously...books....

Meditation. I know it sounds all new-agey, but it works wonders. People forget to BREATHE. It's free and you can do it anywhere. :)

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
Meditation. I know it sounds all new-agey, but it works wonders. People forget to BREATHE. It's free and you can do it anywhere. :)

i am all new agey so is OK lol I actually have a room in my house dedicated JUST to meditation and really don't use it enough. I do alot of breathing exercises during the day although I'm sure I look insane hah but you're right, it really does help!

bonified

Any of these or a combination of getting high, masturbating, shower/bath add a cup of tea or a glass of vino & ahhh thats much better.

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
Getting high is definitely not an option and like I mentioned before, getting off is kind of a given lol (who can sleep without that??) I do love a nice glass of wine though LOL

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I have a glass of wine, put on some good music and either pick up a good book, chat IM/skype with a friend or call a buddy on the phone.

Oh and then there's retail therapy...good lord. I need rehab for that one though....

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
I have a glass of wine, put on some good music and either pick up a good book, chat IM/skype with a friend or call a buddy on the phone.

Oh and then there's retail therapy...good lord. I need rehab for that one though....
OH GOOD LORD HOW I LOVE RETAIL THERAPY! Especially for something that makes me feel pretty :happy:

I'm thinking I really do need to start meditating more. And probably sleeping better too, since i haven't slept more than 2 hours a night in the last 3 months...it might not be helping the situation lol

Heyyou

I drive the Camaro...
I talk to a friend who is visiting (if she is here and awake lol) ..
I pet a dog or cat.

I no longer play violent video games, im past the gaming stage
I sometimes sit and silently fume.

If repeated actions of these dont do it, i look at the original situation, and see if an adjustment is to be made. I now have a job i like better, as my first job did not give me respect.

Now, maybe you arent down for driving a car to de-stress, but i can tell you, im not concerned with WHAT "JSO" says.. I WILL drive if i need to!

I hope that helps. And i hear you on the stress. I hope it passes.

And there is NOTHING wrong with going in your room, or being by yourself, and hashing it out in your mind. "Implosive" and "Explosive" are both fine.. "Implosive' will eventually need to vent, somehow, it is the equivalent of a delayed reaction.

(As an aside, someone in a silver Buick with tinted windows - i know who it was - cut me off the other day. The result was a short JSO "Chase." I was released, got some tickets. So, sometimes, an inconsiderate prick driver in this case it was a female co-worker driving as if she road was hers, i dont like that.. got tires smoked at her. So, if you DO choose to drive to de-stress.. dont let JSO make you kiss pavement and then give you a "reckless driving" ticket after an hour in their car. Just a heads-up. And that person? .. this type of people that do things like that only contribute to other's stress, at the expense of others, in their sense of "betterment" over you. Avoid.)

Hope this helps, OP! :)

rellis10

tuh-maw-tow
I listen to alot of music when i'm stressed, either something mellowed out or harder rock lol. Depends if i want to chill out or just let the anger/frustration/etc rise to the surface and evaporate.

Or a long session of CoD on the xbox, nothing better than shooting noobs to take that stress away :p

Forgotten_Futures

Loud, cathartic music. Something that gets my blood flowing. If it has lyrics, I sing along usually improvising a harmony (since you rarely find music with melodies in the Bass 2 range = P). I never got the idea behind listening to sad/slow music when you're down. Feel good, upbeat, wake the dead tunes, all the way!

Deacone

For Azeroth!
I would say sex, but actually I went swimming for the first time today, and I've never felt calmer. In a quiet swimming pool - it's fucking awesome!

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
If it's possible/affordable try and remove yourself from the stressful situation, even if it's just for a day or two. Other than that, like a couple of other posters have suggested, books and music are great stress relievers. Or a complete day to pamper yourself, a totally girly day just for yourself that does not have to cost anything and it works for me....a long hot shower or tub (shave if that's your thing), a complete body moisturise, polish for your finger nails, a mini pedi and polish for your toe nails and none of this is done without chocolate at the ready. Throw on a couple of favourite movies and just BE.

imfree

In Remembrance
Surfing online, the company of friends, and music relieve stress for me. A good snuggle and purr from Alleigh Kaht are very soothing, as well.

Your Plump Princess

Just dancing with shadows
I take a Radio or CD Player into the bathroom with me and take a nice long-as-possible hot shower while listening to my favorite CD/Radio Station, Then I grab a cup of Coffee or Tea and play video games or watch my favorite TV series.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Any form of exercise like Yoga or Tai Chi.... Also listening to Classical Music

UnknownSpirit01

King of the ______
I usually blast some music or play some sort of sport outside, like basketball in my driveway. Most often though is taking the stress out with my Xbox/computer. Then again masturbating does do some good lol

Latest posts